Posts: 63 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Moscow
I can't agree with you. I think it's time to speak aloud about this on every corner, because PR1.2 isn't just another bugfix firmware update. It is a key turn in Nokia platforms, because it must bring official Qt to N900, but now it blocks Qt applications development for Maemo for a long long time instead.
FUD makers must be happy. Nokia has to show that they can cope with the problems like this.
If official Qt 4.6.2 for N900 will not be released before June 10 ("Calling All Innovators" contest deadline) this will be the blackest PR I ever seen.

Last edited by slobodsky; 2010-05-20 at 07:25.

It's a bloody joke. Al I want is to be able to change the volume without taking it out of my pocket, unlocking the screen, changing the volume, locking the screen, putting it back in my pocket. But because of their bizarre waterfall release paradigm that can't be fixed until they're ready to release QT so I have to wait 6 months for a fix.

Nokia really need to review how they develop and release updates and bug fixes.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by mothmanex View Post
I heard 2x days ago that the firmware was going to be released in May 26. Now they say that we need to wait some weeks (most likely 3 weeks and some days). The firmware must be the holy grail.
Ah, see, who did you hear that from? It couldn't have been anyone from Nokia, therefore it's not true.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I'm really, really hoping for this month. It is getting a little unreasonable now, I'm sure we've lost developers in this fiasco. My phone is quite often unresponsive and that's without too many apps being added, not overclocking and avoiding unofficial updates :-p

I also read PR1.2 would be released "before month-end" (posted a week ago), apparently from the Head of Maemo Operations (possibly in Canada?).

Anyway, obviously only hearsay, but I keep my fingers crossed!

Got a say i smiled to people who got irritated about PR1.2 previously but i really hope they get it out this month.

I don't have any big problems on my N900 but because PR1.2 the app situation is horrible and i'm sure Nokia is not making any devs happier as this takes so long.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think Nokia does realize this.

Maemo: they saw that
a) they keep restarting from scratch which ruins tons of developmental effort
b) they would never get the userbase needed to attract commercial developers

So their solution was to combine their efforts with Intel and open Meego to everyone. This gives them the potential userbase needed when combined with QT compatibility across devices and netbooks. And it prevents them from restarting again and again.
Which means we N900 owners will be left out in the dark and can only wait for new products to be running meego ?? I don't think so, might be time to think about an Android device ! Thsi is getting tiring.

Originally Posted by ER444 View Post
Which m4ans we Nokia owners will be left out in the dark and can only wait for new products to be running meego ?? I don't think so, might be time to think about an Android device !
Well MeeGo is coming to N900. That we already know. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50763

It will be seen how it really will be implemented to N900 thought.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Well MeeGo is coming to N900. That we already know. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50763

It will be seen how it really will be implemented to N900 thought.
MeeGo is going to be compatible with then N900's hardware, there's also going to be some reference apps, like a simple dialer. Anyone with an N900 waiting for MeeGo to be feature-equal with Maemo5 is delusional, sorry. You'll need to buy a new MeeGo platform phone with Nokia's proprietary, advanced applications. Anything else does not make sense from a business standpoint.

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Anyone with an N900 waiting for MeeGo to be feature-equal with Maemo5 is delusional, sorry. You'll need to buy a new MeeGo platform phone with Nokia's proprietary, advanced applications. Anything else does not make sense from a business standpoint.
And why would that be? It works in the PC business, right? People buy hardware upgrades when the hardware needs it, and upgrade software to get fixes and features.

Sometimes the new software is too heavy for the old hardware, mandating an upgrade.

Bring out new shiny hardware and people will buy it. Bring out (almost) the same hardware with new firmware and people will not upgrade in masses.

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Anything else does not make sense from a business standpoint.
I really don't agree with you on this one. From a business standpoint it would be critical for Nokia to show end-users that they are going to start supporting older devices like other manufacturers are doing. Not fully supporting N900 would mean pretty bad press.

Tags
black hole, vortex of dumb