Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
If Samsung are serious about Tizen they should definitivly go Qt route. If they want people making apps for the platform. Actually that would be a only logical reason to "delay" Tizen if they don't actually planning to dish Tizen. Qt5 just released an the community WANTS Qt on Tizen.
On the desktop, Skype and VLC would easily help you win that argument for Qt being the definitive route.

But on mobile, it's not yet proven itself to be the definitive route despite it's very obvious positives; I cannot say that Qt has helped out Maemo, MeeGo or BB10 in any measurable way yet.

And that's... quite damn sad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
*Imminent. Seriously dude, spell check before posting.
Did you come here just to tell me that. I'm very pleased

Great value!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
But on mobile, it's not yet proven itself to be the definitive route despite it's very obvious positives;
I cannot say that Qt has helped out Maemo, MeeGo or BB10 in any measurable way yet.
But are you trying to suggest that's entirely (or even largely) the toolkit's fault?

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-08 at 16:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I concur with Gerbick. Qt has been a waste of time so far for any mobile OS. a web browser with only HMTL is more usful so far...QT need to gain ground or go home(again).

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
On the desktop, Skype and VLC would easily help you win that argument for Qt being the definitive route.

But on mobile, it's not yet proven itself to be the definitive route despite it's very obvious positives; I cannot say that Qt has helped out Maemo, MeeGo or BB10 in any measurable way yet.

I disagree. Have you checked out how easy it is write apps with QtQuick/QML latelly? Qt 5 series has defenitivly improved QML with better layout component and controls. I doubt Tizen:s API is better if its based on enlightenment API.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
ITS ALIVE!!!!!
I doubt tizen is dead! Or will Samsung waste another 4 million for nothing...

The Tizen App Challenge is open through November 1, 2013 - it's time to get started!

$4 Million is the prize pool in their app competition, just to boost their app store for the release.

https://developer.tizen.org/contests...-app-challenge

Start developing NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

I would love to see some of that money go to great devs here at TMO!

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-10 at 16:39.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
But are you trying to suggest that's entirely (or even largely) the toolkit's fault?
No. I'm saying Qt isn't quite the factor that it should be.

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-07-11 at 03:38.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I disagree. Have you checked out how easy it is write apps with QtQuick/QML latelly? Qt 5 series has defenitivly improved QML with better layout component and controls. I doubt Tizen:s API is better if its based on enlightenment API.
Erm. Qt is on Tizen too. Have a look: read more here

I know what you meant, but as it stands Qt is supposed to basically run everywhere. To me, that's a huge advantage. And yes, I do know how easy it is to work in Qt Quick/QML. Not even lately, historically I'd say it was quicker (pun unintended) to come up to speed with it than most other frameworks I've used in the past.

But it's still not the definitive tool/framework that will make or break any platform. Not yet, it seems.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Qt being a minnow on major platforms/ecosystems now, has more to do with business alliances/strategies & politics, than being technically poorer than competing toolkits.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-11 at 04:40. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Qt being a minnow on major platforms/ecosystems now, has more to do with business alliances/strategies & politics, than being technically poorer than competing toolkits.
Qt, heeded around these parts as something major and a definite reason behind if a platform will have developers or not as well as successful apps and whatnot just is not the case.

It's not technically poorer than competing frameworks. In fact, I'd risk to say it's damn near superior.

But Qt is not a deciding factor for much anything mobile related at the moment no matter how much people think otherwise.

The business strategies for Qt is secondhand in this discussion; a wider discussion about that would entail past dealings and possible (theoretical) future dealings. All I know... it's on Tizen, it's on Jolla, it's on BB10... all three are on my radar at this very moment.

And that, my friend... is a good thing. But it's just not a deciding factor. And to reiterate my prior statement; that's a damn shame.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
clunky, death rules, mike_tizen, titzen, tizen == kebab, tizen rules, tizen_day, tjamtjung, yet still sucks, zen and tizen