Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Ubuntu Engineering Reddit AMA today!Get your questions ready! The Ubuntu Engineering team is hosting a Reddit AMA session today.

What’s a Reddit AMA? It’s a live text interview on reddit.com, during which you can submit your questions, and Chris, Matt and Alex will try to answer them all.The session is underway right now. Starting Monday August 5 at 12UTC, 8AM Eastern time for 12 hours.*Submit your questions. Here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...nd_ubuntu_for/

Don't forget to support the Ubuntu Edge!
http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4036946

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-06 at 04:59.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If you bought an Ubuntu edge. Please add you location: http://ubuntuedge.zz.mu/en/

And if you havn't. Watch this...http://wizzardss.com/edge/#compare

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-06 at 12:16.

Does anybody here have a Nexus 4/7/10 with Ubuntu Touch installed?

I was wondering how Ubuntu Touch handles security between applications.
Are they planning to sandbox applications by default?
On a default Ubuntu desktop (and on Maemo) an application that is installed and run by the user can access and modify all files in the home directory (including those used by other apps).
While this is very powerful, this is very unwise if you start using applications in the way people do on iOS and Android (just installing all these closed source applications from possibly not very trustworthy sources)

On:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/27090...n-ubuntu-touch
there is talk that all applications will require an AppArmor profile, but AppArmor has been supported for a long time now in Ubuntu, and as far as I know it isn't required for the applications in the Ubuntu repositories and/or launchpad PPAs.

One thing nice about nice Ubuntu Touch is that it reverses the trend of flat 2D user interfaces which I am not a fan of at all.

Canonical posted an announcement 3 hours ago
Referral contest winner

The Ubuntu Edge Referral contest came to an end on Friday, and today we’re delighted to reveal the winner.

We’ve said before that being creative is the key to successfully getting the word out, and our winner put in the kind of time and effort that’s fully deserving of the prize. His excellent video, Ubuntu Edge: Explained, has been watched over 130,000 times, and that global attention has driven a huge number of new contributions to the campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nei16...layer_embedded

When we hit our funding goal, a personalised Ubuntu Edge will be going to tech video blogger Marques Brownlee, of MKBHD. Congratulations!
Thanks to everyone for taking part. Every new contribution helps.

The Ubuntu Edge team

wow, great design! jolla copies that please

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
The backers keeps creating cool stuff.

Ubuntu Edge 3D

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-06 at 17:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Bloomberg just bought the big edge package for $80000 first company on board...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Bloomberg just bought the big edge package for $80000 first company on board...
Michael Bloomberg has donated over a billion dollars to Johns Hopkins (my alma mater) over the years. Maybe he can come up with another measly $23 million and finish the deal!

Last edited by mscion; 2013-08-08 at 00:23.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Does anybody here have a Nexus 4/7/10 with Ubuntu Touch installed?

I was wondering how Ubuntu Touch handles security between applications.
Are they planning to sandbox applications by default?
I have Ubuntu Touch installed on a Galaxy Nexus.

The last time I flashed the device with an image was Thursday.

So far there are no special 'Ubuntu' restrictions of any kind yet - it's just like Fremantle, a user application can access any files owned by the main user, even comes with a QtQuick terminal app to run bash.. that can certainly read and execute any files on the device.
Perhaps more like Ubuntu desktop - apparmor is installed and configured by default. Judging by the logged items in /var/log/kern.log it's for now only set up for dhclient-script, the lxc container that runs the libhybris/bionic drivers, and maybe a few others

consider Canonical devs also signaled their intention to switch to a new non rpm, non-deb package format for mobile and this tool 'click' is installed on my image, but 'click list' does not print any output.
All the software that consitutes the image is all packaged as .deb

honestly I dont care what they do for fancy-sandboxed mobile apps, as long as regular linux applications can still be built, packaged and installed to modify the core system, etc.

I imagine their core OS will continue to be packaged .deb and shared with their desktop ARM port and the "Mobile" apps will all have to be packaged with click (hopefully via some kind of dpkg-buildclick tool/require no special modification), GUI package store will show only 'click' packages/run each sandboxed, etc.. However, their mobile SDK is far from complete https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/SdkFeatureStatus and moving slow. "make a website for our api" and "import/export data between apps" are still marked 'TODO'.

Last edited by bjv; 2013-08-08 at 02:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjv For This Useful Post: