Active Topics

hi all,
am a newbie n need some assist.. i already install NTED under debian, but it show me an error about no midi seq so cannot playback. i already install timidity++ but still doesnt work for playing NTED do anyone have any solutions? thank so much

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
@bbay6342:
Did you install nted from the Debian repository, i.e. via synaptic or apt?
If so did you install nted from the Lenny or the Squeeze repository? If you didn't take care for that it should be Squeeze.

I think you might have accidentally upgraded pulseaudio to Squeeze by installing nted. In that case no sound at all should work in Easy Debian. Can you please verify that by playing a random audio file in Easy Debian?

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
@bbay6342:
Did you install nted from the Debian repository, i.e. via synaptic or apt?
If so did you install nted from the Lenny or the Squeeze repository? If you didn't take care for that it should be Squeeze.

I think you might have accidentally upgraded pulseaudio to Squeeze by installing nted. In that case no sound at all should work in Easy Debian. Can you please verify that by playing a random audio file in Easy Debian?
i installed using apt n am using image v3d.
it can play sounds Sulu, but i dont know why i cant playback nted n it says i need to rund modprobe snd-seq-midi
but when i run those command it says cannot load modules.dep in kernel power folder.. i dont know how that denemo work n playable using timidity. but nted cannot play anything

Now I understand your problem. You need a kernel module that isn't loaded yet. So your program tells you to load it. But Easy Debian doesn't have its own kernel, it just uses Maemo's kernel.
Therefore you'd have to load a module that is compatible with the N900's Maemo kernel.
I'm not sure if such a module already exists. After doing a quick search I found this thread:
http://forums.internettablettalk.com....php?p=1082923

But it seems to me the modules linked there are for some older Maemo version, maybe for the N800 or 810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
yea, it seems youre right Sulu.. i've copied the module above, run modprobe but it says invalid module format. do you know where i can find the module for n900 Sulu? Am sorry i dunno nothing about linux untill i got this phone, wish you assist me
thnk Sulu

No, unfortunately I don't know where to find such a module for the N900.
In principle one could compile it from the source code but I haven't yet compiled something on the N900 or its SDK. So I don't know which packages you'd need.
Maybe somebody else can help you out.

its ok..
thnx anyway Sulu

During the past few days I tinkered a bit with pulseaudio trying to find a solution for Squeeze. I've come to a slightly ugly solution. I tried different pulseaudio versions that I obtained from the Debian snapshot site [1]. The newest version that worked was 0.9.15 (e.g. from 20090915T230118). So I took these packages (libpulse0 libpulse-browse0 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-utils) and transplanted their content (everything except the DEBIAN directory) into their hollowed 0.9.21 counterparts. I also had to add dependencies for libpolkit-dbus2 and libpolkit2 from Lenny.
I could install these packages in my dist-upgraded Easy Debian and apparently it works without breaking anything. However of course I can't be sure to have broken something silently.
I'd like to attach the packages here but I'd need 2MB while only 488kB are allowed. So what should I do? Should I split them and attach them to multiple posts or use an external hoster (suggestions?)?

Before that I tried to decrease the pulseaudio 0.9.21 protocol version number (that's someting different than the pulseaudio version as I learned) defined in src/pulse/version.h from 16 to the allegedly compatible 15 and to rebuild the packages. Unfortunately the result showed the same problems like the original 0.9.21. So I assume that either this global protocol version definition is not thoroughly used everywhere or (more likely) it isn't the real problem with the pulseaudio problem. There seem to have been mayor changes between 0.9.15 and 0.9.16 not only affecting the protocol version.

on a side note:
I now have libreoffice from squeeze-backports installed and it seems to work fine. I can't say I really tested it but it starts as expected. Therefore I'd appreciate if somebody could provide a test scenario that is known to show a problem.

I'd like to summarize my experiences with the dist-upgrade, pulseaudio and probbably libreoffice (given that I'll be able to provide useful information after some tests) somewhere. I guess the wiki would be the right place. Should I add that to the Easy Debian article or create a new one? Is there some "review commision" I should speak to?

[1] http://snapshot.debian.org

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Thanks for You great work, and please don't split info between few articles, just use Easy Debian one. Or at least provide basic info a link also in Easy Debian wiki page.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Thanks for te feedback!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
[..] please don't split info between few articles, just use Easy Debian one.
I'd prefer that solution too. I was just not sure if there are any special rules to follow in this community.

Any idea where to put the packages? Of course I could just post the steps to reproduce what I did (most likely I'll do that anyway) but I think it would be more convenient to provide them as downloads.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze