Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Well there doesn't seem to be ac3 decoder on Jolla, so ac3 audio is out. MKV (matroska) files play, but aren't seekable.
So I guess the best modern file format would be mp4, video h.264, audio aac. Screen resolution is 960x540, so no need for higher resolution than that.

If using ffmpeg like in your example, something like this should work. (just tested these and seemed to work)
-s 960x540 -vcodec libx264 -crf 25.0 -acodec libvo_aacenc -b:a 128k -ac 2
Thanks for the info.
I can't get MKV files to play. Need to try some more files while I'm deaming of a Netflix application or HBO application.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I tried this workaroung with Helsinki University Eduroam, to no avail. (I replaced the required fields with the required values and uploaded the local CA cert to the phone.) It just gets stuck in "Connecting" in the UI. Same settings (and CA cert) work with my laptop, using wpa_supplicant. But wpa_supplicant has also the setting "anonymous_identity", could this be a problem? Connman config files don't seem to have such a thing.

Anybody got this working here?

Originally Posted by korppi View Post
You can get WPA EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS (maybe others) to work.
-Devel-mode on
-Make file /var/lib/connman/wifi-foo.config
In file add following (this is example :-) )

[service_foo]
Type=wifi
Name=wlan_ssid
EAP=peap
CACertFile=/home/nemo/ca.pem
Phase2=MSCHAPV2
Identity=user
Passphrase=password

-then in gui: settings -> wlan off -> wlan on

The Following User Says Thank You to elakim For This Useful Post:
...sorry, my bad, adding the domain part to my identity worked. wpa_supplicant doesn't need that, so I just tried with only the local part.

Originally Posted by elakim View Post
I tried this workaroung with Helsinki University Eduroam, to no avail. (I replaced the required fields with the required values and uploaded the local CA cert to the phone.) It just gets stuck in "Connecting" in the UI. Same settings (and CA cert) work with my laptop, using wpa_supplicant. But wpa_supplicant has also the setting "anonymous_identity", could this be a problem? Connman config files don't seem to have such a thing.

Anybody got this working here?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
After using Jolla for a couple of weeks I can say that Jolla is the phone for me. It is about the fact that I can login to my phone via SSH and fix things by myself (such as the power drainage issue or setting up a "hotspot" to share internet). The terminal on the phone isn't bad either. It's pretty cool to execute htop at the terminal and see what's going on (or to show off to friends what the difference of Jolla and a regular phone is ). If someone would like to compile bb (a text based demo using AA-lib) it would be even cooler to show off Jolla on a terminal!

There is one thing I haven't gotten used to. I don't know how to hold the phone in my hand(s) especially when I am writing messages. I mean, writing is easy with the terminal as it flips to horizontal view, but with other applications I have a hard time adjusting my hands to a good position for writing. Horizontal view would fix this problem, but I would also prefer a TOH with a less slippery material.

My five cents.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cloudbuster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
I just received my Transcend 64 GB card. Connected to my PC and it is in exFAT format. I have not tested it on the Jolla yet, however, as I understand exFAT is not supported?

What format should I pick, to ensure decent compatibility between my Windows 7 computers and my Jolla phone?
exFAT is the official standard for SDXC cards but it's not supported by Sailfish or licenced by Jolla from Microsoft (yet). IMHO they need to as it's the standard for SDXC cards, but I'm sure the anti-Microsoft dogmatists will disagree.

You can re-format the card to vFAT32 and access the full 64GB but there's some caveats.

1) No files bigger than 4GB

2) Filename restrictions (mostly affects Macs and Linux, not Windows)

3) You have to use the DOS command line to reformat the card as the Windows graphical format tool does not allow you to format other than exFAT.

4) Jolla don't support GUID partioning (default on Intel Macs) so make sure the card uses the older DOS 'Master Boot Record' partition scheme.

5) One partition only. This might be just me but I couldn't get it to work with two partitions.

You shouldn't have to symlink the card if using vFAT32.

Other file systems will work like ext4 and btrfs but neither Mac nor Windows support them and there's a bug in Sailfish which means they don't automount so it's less than useful unless you're Linux through and through.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
. IMHO they need to as it's the standard for SDXC cards, but I'm sure the anti-Microsoft dogmatists will disagree.
You bet!
Only over my dead body MS FS touches my Linux phone!

e
Other file systems will work like ext4 and btrfs but neither Mac nor Windows support them and there's a bug in Sailfish which means they don't automount so it's less than useful unless you're Linux through and through.
You don't need journaling on the flash card so ext2 will suffice and there are drivers for ext2 for Win, don't know about the Macs.

Edit: It seems there is a solution for Mac: http://blog.applegrew.com/2011/12/ac...osx-lion-10-7/
Barnabas Collins

Last edited by kollin; 2014-01-03 at 17:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to kollin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Pretty sure last I checked there was support for much more than just ext2/3, but I can't recall specifics.
For solid/quality support though, the best route is one or more paid solutions IIRC...

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
The Mac FUSE based ext2/3 support is pretty unreliable IME. The Paragon software is kind of ok but $40.

If you're also using Windows then you'll need another commercial app.

Then the card won't work in TVs and other media players.

So, that's why I say they need to support exFAT. Yes, I know, it's money to Microsoft but presumably Jolla are already paying Microsoft for Exchange ActiveSync support* so I fail to see why we should get religious about it.

* which I really object to as they should have used IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Good, Bad or Ugly?

Head SAR 0.546 W/kg

Body SAR 1.470 W/kg

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
The Mac FUSE based ext2/3 support is pretty unreliable IME. The Paragon software is kind of ok but $40.

If you're also using Windows then you'll need another commercial app.

Then the card won't work in TVs and other media players.

So, that's why I say they need to support exFAT. Yes, I know, it's money to Microsoft but presumably Jolla are already paying Microsoft for Exchange ActiveSync support* so I fail to see why we should get religious about it.

* which I really object to as they should have used IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV ;-)
No they dont need to support exFAT. Microsoft is doomed anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience