Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've sent sulu a PM, hopefully he can e-mail me the packages and I can post them in qole.org/files for everyone to grab. Hopefully, too, I can make a new image using these packages...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The solution that sulu arrived at is very similar to my solution. He built fake new packages with old files, I installed the new files and then overwrote the new files with the old files. I like sulu's method better, because Debian really thinks it has the newest version... We should do that for gconf too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Ok, please find sulu's hacked pulseaudio packages here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
I noticed that for some reason my packages although having the same version number seem to be considered upgradeable by synaptic. It showed me that there's an update for pulseaudio. In a first test I changed the Debian revision from 1 to 99 which solved the issue and should leave enough tolerance for future revisions made by Debian.

@qole:
I'll send you new packages tomorrow.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
In completely unrelated news, I just remembered that I needed to promote my newer versions to Extras-testing. So if you get a moment, please vote for the latest versions of Easy Chroot and Easy Debian that have been languishing in Extras-devel for months now...

Thank qole and sulu, and I just can't wait to hear news how programs from Squeeze work with "fake" gconf2 version...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

After having had a closer look at the dependencies I think changing the revision number would not be a good idea because some packages depend on one exact version of another package. Of course I could adjust the dependencies of all the packages I changed but then I'd also have to repackage other related packages just because of the dependencies while they technically work fine and I don't know where that would end.
So I'd suggest we stay with the current set of packages and just set them on hold.

Edit:
I just completed the pulseaudio instructions in the wiki article.

Last edited by sulu; 2011-09-14 at 20:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Just a brainwave concerning the gconf2 problem that I never encountered so far:

Usually I start Debian applications from within a fully loaded Easy Debian (with LXDE) and not via debbie.
However, today I started Iceweasel via debbie and got this error message:
Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Could not send message to GConf daemon: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1)
Is this the error message that you have in mind when talking about gconf2 problems?
For verification I loaded the original unchanged Easy Debian image and did not get that message so obviously something has changed in the gconf-dbus communication.
I googled a bit and found some posts (also involving hal) that suggest that it might be a permission problem.

Well, I'm certainly not an expert, neither with hal nor with dbus or gconf but as a shot in the dark I started iceweasel via debbie and sudo in my dist-upgraded image:
Code:
debbie sudo iceweasel
And I did not get that error message which I think indicates that in general the communication works fine. So I believe the combination gconf2/Maemo is not broken the way pulseaudio is. I rather think it's a simple permission problem. Can somebody with more knowledge please have a look at this? It could spare us another evil hack on the way to a fully working Squeeze.

Edit:
Oh, btw and totally unrelated: I think adding pipe to .xbindkeysrc would be nice:
Code:
"xvkbd -xsendevent -text '|'"
  Shift + Down
No idea if Shift + Down is the most intuitive combination but it works for me.

Last edited by sulu; 2011-09-15 at 19:45.

I also use most applications through LXDE (ho ever, I actually run Iceweasel via shortcut, which is debbie equivalent).

The problem with gconf2 is (was?) much worse - last time I checked, after installation of LibreOffice I got 3/4 of application menus unusable (blank "----" lines or unspecified characters instead of proper text). This is the symptom I remember from top of my head, qole would be - probably - capable of more techie explanation.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I didn't encounter the problem you describe. My menus are just fine.
Afaik lxpanel just reads the contents of /usr/share/applications without any man in the middle. However gconf2 might have messed up that directory when you tried.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze