Notices

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
@vonbraun: is the app started, and the auto-update enabled (in the Preferences menu)? I can't see any reasons why the auto-update would not work if the manual one does, other than not actually being triggered.

@ffarber: the widget is a very early preview that I uploaded to extras-devel yesterday, so it doesn't really interact or do much yet (it only updates its display every 30 minutes). Double-clicking on a feed name will launch the app too.
But otherwise, the app is self-contained, so it needs to be running for the auto-update of feeds to happen. This might change in the future.

Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
Can you try to open the X-Terminal, and then typing:
FeedingIt
(case sensitive), to start the application. Do the update, and see if there are any messages that appear in the terminal. Thanks.
I tried, but no messages....

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Maine
Slocan-

Thanks, I will try and leave it running to see how it works. I like the widget.

Fred

Originally Posted by cisqo View Post
I tried, but no messages....
Can you please download this to your device (save it to MyDocs for example):
http://feedingit.marcoz.org/test2.py
then connect to your mobile internet, open up the X-Term and type:
python MyDocs/test2.py
and send me the output to my email slocan @AT@ marcoz .DOT. org
Thanks.

@dcell: I just uploaded 0.6.0-1 to extras-devel. It should fix the problem you're having with that feed.

The other main change is that the widget will now update its display as soon as the count changes in the app (either through an update, or when you close a feed after reading some articles).

when app is running auto update works. i first thought autoupdate worked when app is closed, which is not the case apparently.

i see we have a loading indicator now, great! thx!

about auto update, can the widget not trigger that instead of the app so that the app doesnt need to be open? of does feedingit had a command lin argument that we can de the update through alarmd?

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
i see we have a loading indicator now, great! thx!

about auto update, can the widget not trigger that instead of the app so that the app doesnt need to be open? of does feedingit had a command lin argument that we can de the update through alarmd?
I have been using alarmed with the following command: 'FeedingIt update' which opens an instance of the application and then does the update. What I would like is for a way to close the instance after the update has occurred. I am not a UNIX expert so I have not been able to figure out how to kill the python process that is started by FeedingIt from a script that I would invoke from Alarmed ten minutes later or something like that.

Any ideas?

Fred

Originally Posted by ffarber View Post
What I would like is for a way to close the instance after the update has occurred.
Any ideas?
As you mentioned, you could kill the process, but I really wouldn't recommend that. I'll add something so the app can be closed easily (probably sometime before the week-end).

Ultimately, now that the widget is getting somewhere, I want to create a way to update the feeds without having to open the full app, that would be triggered by the app, the widget, or an external command (and if it works out, maybe regulated by a status icon, a-la MfE sync, but let's not get carried away).

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
As you mentioned, you could kill the process, but I really wouldn't recommend that. I'll add something so the app can be closed easily (probably sometime before the week-end).

Ultimately, now that the widget is getting somewhere, I want to create a way to update the feeds without having to open the full app, that would be triggered by the app, the widget, or an external command (and if it works out, maybe regulated by a status icon, a-la MfE sync, but let's not get carried away).
Very cool, I will be patient!

Thanks,
Fred

P.S. I have edited this in after thinking about it. Wouldn't the easiest thing to do be adding a new command line argument that was essentially 'update and exit'? That way people could use Alarmed to set up the update to happen on any schedule they would like. This would open the full app for a period of time which would only be annoying if you were doing something else at that time. Just an idea.

Last edited by ffarber; 2010-04-13 at 19:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to ffarber For This Useful Post: