Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Just tried this in a short road trip. It worked fine and map rotation is working great! I didn't think I wanted to use the map rotation function, but now when I tried it I have to say I like that feature.

I noticed one anomaly: Normally when you stop for long (few minutes?) time, the software detects this and turns off the display (when full screen) automatically. This time when I parked the car for about an hour, the display was still lit when I came back to car.

I just finished a 900 mile trip yesterday, and I ran MM the whole time. It worked perfectly! Thanks gnuite!!

Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Gnuite,
I am experiencing issues with the GPS/MM. It seems after initially using MM w/ my GPS, the next time I use it, MM will start tracking for about 5 seconds and then stall. I can restart the GPS tracking and it will repeat the same problem. To resolve the issue, I have to reboot the device and its good to go again.
Which runtime environment (770? N800? OS 2007? RFCOMM?)?
Which version of Maemo Mapper?
Which GPS receiver?

Originally Posted by jrreid View Post
Open Street Map only renders tiles to an equivalent of zoom=4 (which is also used for zoom=3), which on OSM's tile server is a zoom level 17 tile. However maemo-mapper's zoom=2 requests tiles from the /19/ zoom level which doesn't exist, and zoom=0 requests from the /21/ zoom level. Is there any way that a maximum level option could be set per repository, to prevent someone from requesting a range of zooms for an large area and hammering the OSM tile server with literally tens of thousands of invalid requests? This may not be too big an issue with larger map providers such as google (although they do limit on a per-client basis after a certain point as I understand it), we have only a finite amount of server resources and are trying to get the word out to the authors of the various tools that may be the source of some bad requests.
Yes, I can accommodate this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by 9a6or View Post
Gnuite, this might explain why MM gives failure messages when trying to download/process low zoom levels (I've reported this earlier here). It happens with Google Maps though in my case.
Yes, obviously Maemo Mapper cannot download maps that the repository server does not have. Maemo Mapper will report an error in this case.

Originally Posted by Cwiiis View Post
So, now you have a free N810 heading your way, Gnuite, will we see an IT2008 port soon? I'm certainly looking forward to one!
I'll make sure that Maemo Mapper works on the N810 (with the internal GPS receiver) as soon as I receive a unit on which to test.

Originally Posted by francisco_barahona View Post
I managed to install MM 2.0. When I try to load it, it says "the current repository is in a legacy format ..." and it does not load.
I tried to delete every map I had, but it seems that something is left.
How can I clean the repository? Where should I look?
Thanks
Try deleting the directory itself, and any other files in the parent directory that have a similar name as that of the directory (i.e. "MyMaps.db" instead of "MyMaps").

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Just tried this in a short road trip. It worked fine and map rotation is working great! I didn't think I wanted to use the map rotation function, but now when I tried it I have to say I like that feature.

I noticed one anomaly: Normally when you stop for long (few minutes?) time, the software detects this and turns off the display (when full screen) automatically. This time when I parked the car for about an hour, the display was still lit when I came back to car.
There is a new setting in the Settings dialog that controls exactly when Maemo Mapper keeps the screen on. It's in the "Misc. 2" tab.

If you have it set to "When Moving" (with or without the Fullscreen option), then Maemo Mapper will keep the screen on if you move at least a certain (fairly small) distance. If your GPS receiver is getting poor reception, or if interference changes the GPS receiver's calculation even the slightest, then the screen will be unblanked. This may be what you encountered....

Sorry I'm behind, but it took me a few days to try out the software, and I can now confirm that version 2.0.3 is working properly with the Holux GPSlim 240. It's been 10 pages since, so excuse me if this is a repeat of someone else, but I figured posting good news would not attract as much fire as asking a previously asked question.

Thanks, Gnuite!

Had a weird situation where MM would fail to load. It would announce loading, the process would start, and then nothing. Rebooting the unit didn't help.

What eventually worked was taking xterm and deleting apps/.maemo-mapper, then killing any and all active m-m processes.

It's not a proper bug report, and for all I know just killing the processes might work (but then why didn't it run on reboot?), but if anyone else sees this happen, maybe we can figure it out.