Active Topics

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by CINY111 View Post
I don't understand why so many ppl having the similar problem yet no one make the complain to nokia.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673

The telephone support staff aren't really well-briefed on issues like this. Especially not on our platform.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post

The telephone support staff aren't really well-briefed on issues like this. Especially not on our platform.
So, are you from nokia? do you mean nokia has known the problem and is trying to fix it? well, i hope they do fix it really quick! I actually love this little device except for this really annoying problem. And I don't want to send it back and forth and try my luck again!

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
CINY111,
I can see why you are so angry with Nokia for their poor handling of the problem, and the trouble and expense.
But as for the technical problem itself, is it really so bad? In normal use, this is never turned off. You can even reboot if needed.
The problem for me is the inability to swap batteries when away from civilisation. So instead I will need to rig up an external charger. A set of 4 AA NiMh cells should give 2-3 full recharges.
But if I happen to be visiting the US, I will try to get the unit exchanged.

Mike

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Hungary
So, are you from nokia? do you mean nokia has known the problem and is trying to fix it? well, i hope they do fix it really quick!
Just click on that link that's in the post you have replied to and see it for yourself. I post it here again: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673 . It has been posted to all of the previous two or three pages. (I actually canot really understand why it is easier to write a post instead of looking at a link, but there must be some reason as quite a few people do it ) The last message on that thread in the bugtracker was posted today:
------- Comment #33 from natalia.dobrovolskaya@nokia.com 2008-02-08 10:39 GMT+3 -------
(In reply to comment #32)
> I'm about to return my N800. So, before I do, any chance the patch that fixes
> this problem can be provided so I can make sure it works for me ?
>
Hi Johan, Let's wait next week. The fix in its way of providing for you. Thank
you for your patience.
I actually love this little device except for this really annoying problem. And I don't want to send it back and forth and try my luck again!
Hi, yes, the support guys seem to be quite useless. I had all this frustration about a month ago. I mailed both the US and the local (Hungarian) support. I ordered mine from the US and the Hungarian guys told me that they couldn't say anything because it is not sold here. But it really sounds lame as it is sold in the EU, so actually they do (have to) provide servicing here for the ones that are sold in the EU. And of course it sounds very lame that they don't have a unified problem database on their intranet. (They told me that only the service points had and that it was only local )

The US support team wrote me that they didn't know about the porblem, though I knew that quite a few guys from this forum had already complained to them. I sent the link of the forum, then later I saw a post here where it was told another user that they didn't know about it.

Actually the reason that it was really frustrating was that I tried the bug tracker first and the developers kept saying that it very probably wasn't a software problem and they couldn't reproduce it. Now if the developers can't reproduce a problem then it becomes important (at least to me) that Nokia recognizes it as a serious concern because then they have the chance to act. (Like sending defective devices to the developers for testing.) For the average user however it's most important that the customer (don't)care gus be well informed. For most of us waiting for a sw fix is more acceptable than sending back, waiting for a month and paying for the shipment.

However, we are lucky with the n8x0 and its open development model because we can get in touch with the developers directly so the ignorant customer (don't) care doesn't matter that much.

PRESSING POWER BUTTON WITH STYLUS IT WORKS!!! Mine new bought N800 was also ready to go back after no-charging problem and lying on my desperation I decided to take a chance to your method.

I don't know if power button just needs a deep pressing but it worked finally!!! I'm very happy (and more) and ready to upgrade to OS2008!!!!

I don't know if I'm too hyperbolic, but it could be in sticky messages about N800 errors.

YOU CRAZY AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!! )))))))))))))))))))))))

(A very happy Greek owner of something not very known here!!!).

P.S. MumboJumbos could exist!!!!

Last edited by yannisgk; 2008-02-09 at 02:51. Reason: I didn't know that my message would be last on theme!

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post

I think is the first phase of internet tablets conquering consumers and many problems are not understandable, even in such big companys as Nokia. Maybe we are the first testing group!!!!! Too deep opinion, but I think not so unreal. I believe that mobile internet is the future of computing if everything goes allright.

With great respect, YannisGK.

Had 810 about 30 days; on/off problem seems to get worse and worse; now will not power on at all; get the blue nokia on white screen and the blue scroll across the bottom of the page - then just freezes. I"ve tried the cold treatment and the various on/off tricks of this forum, but nothing. Nokia's web site continues to be completely blank on this subject. I've contacted and am now in the midst of the dreaded email exchange to "explain my problem" as if Nokia has yet to hear about the on/off issue.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jldcon View Post
Had 810 about 30 days; on/off problem seems to get worse and worse; now will not power on at all; get the blue nokia on white screen and the blue scroll across the bottom of the page - then just freezes.
This is not, repeat, not symptomatic of the power-on issue. There is something wrong with your install. Flashing the latest firmware should clear it up.

If you actually had the power on/off issue, your device would not respond to the power button at all. But as your device tries to boot, you do not have the issue being discussed here.

Reflash your device to fix it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
I've reflashed the device two times without any change. Gets to blue Nokia logo and freezes.

Yea, I've got an n800 and it would seem that it is over heating. Thus won't turn on once its off. I just throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so and it turns on again. Good thing it's winter here in Michigan, just have to throw it in a bag and put it outside since its all one big freezer right now!

But seriously, what's causing it to overheat, even with the old os running on the 330 mhz processor? Is there some bug in the code that continues to use the processor even when not in use? If that's the case a fix would also increase battery life.