Active Topics

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Chicago, IL USA
I am in process of evaluating requests posted and will have a detailed post this weekend. More to follow...

Mark

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by mafranklin View Post
I am in process of evaluating requests posted and will have a detailed post this weekend. More to follow...

Mark
Thanks. I would appreciate if you can include whether or not the WiMax Edition indeed has GPS and Navicore/Wayfinder software (I've gotten conflicting reports).

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks. I would appreciate if you can include whether or not the WiMax Edition indeed has GPS and Navicore/Wayfinder software (I've gotten conflicting reports).
I wonder where you are getting your reports. Nokia site clearly says that there is gps and wayfinder

The Nokia N810 WiMAX edition does feature GPS and Wayfinder - in the Map section of the features it reads:

Source: http://www.nokiausa.com/A4952190

Experience with N810 WiMAX in Chicago:
NOTE: XOHM IS OFFICIALLY NOT ACTIVE OR SUPPORED IN CHICAGO. I HAVE BEEN USING A NETWORK THAT IS UNDER BUILD AND TEST PRIOR TO ROLL OUT.

1. Speedtests via https://mobilespeeedtest.com are consistently 3.8 - 4
2. XOHM coverage in Chicago is great. I have not encountered a single dead spot. Note that I live and work in Chicago proper spanning the North Side (Lake View/Lincoln Park to Downtown in the Loop, to the South Loop).
3. Occcassionally or quite frequently the XOHM connection drops and subsequently reconnects. Even in areas with great signal strength.
4. I also experience dropped connections with subsequent reconnects to the XOHM network when walking long distances, driving, or taking public transportation (all above ground).
5. The performance indoors is fine both at home in a mid-rise condo building or throughout the city in many retail businesses. I do not pick up a XOHM signal in the CTA's subway system. I also do not get a signal while in the basement or sub-basement of the hospital where I work. Fortunately the hospital has free public wifi and the N810 WiMAX automatically connects when WiMAX is not available and reconnects to XOHM when the hospital's free wifi is no longer available.
6. Battery drain appears to be the same as with wifi utilization; potentially a slightly faster drain.
7. I have not attempted a video chat.
8. I have placed and received calls over WiMAX with Skype seamlessly
9. Web browsing appears to be much faster over WiMAX, however, it seams as though the device cannot match/render those download speeds
10. I have not attemted to make the N810 WiMAX an internet hub. if someone could point me to the repository where this software exists I can test and report.
11. I am fortunate to also have a Nokia E71 which uses the exact same battery as the N810. Infrequently depending on the circumstances I am swapping batteries based upon my immediate need.
12. I attemted to reflash the n810 WiMAX, however was not able to do so. when connecting to my PC via USB to the Internet Tablet Software Updater - there was nothing present to flash or download. I instead did the next best and went into the N810 Settings, Control Panel, Menu, Tools, Clear Device & Restore Device Settings. Upon completion I was not able to re-provision the device with XOHM with repeated attempts. fortunately I had completed a full back-up and upon restoration of my Settings connected to XOHM seamlessly.

Overall I am very pleased with both XOHM and the Nokia N810 WiMAX.

MaFranklin
Chicago, IL USA

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mafranklin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus

MaFranklin
Chicago, IL USA
Thanks for the update on your N810 Wimax. I really want one of these now.

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I wonder where you are getting your reports. Nokia site clearly says that there is gps and wayfinder
I realize the Nokia site says there is integrated GPS. I was told that the WiMax edition replaced the GPS with Wimax. Thus, the reports are "conflicting" which is why I asked someone with the actual device to clarify. (It has been known to happen that Nokia makes mistakes on their product sheets.)

Wayfinder is on the device; you still have to subscribe to the service independantly - just as with the N810 nonWiMAX.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Experience with N810 WiMAX in Chicago:
NOTE: XOHM IS OFFICIALLY NOT ACTIVE OR SUPPORED IN CHICAGO. I HAVE BEEN USING A NETWORK THAT IS UNDER BUILD AND TEST PRIOR TO ROLL OUT.
<snip>
Does anyone know, and can tell, where "XOHM IS OFFICIALLY NOT ACTIVE OR SUPPORED" but it is usable in reality, if for instance one got an account in Baltimore?
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Does anyone know, and can tell, where "XOHM IS OFFICIALLY NOT ACTIVE OR SUPPORED" but it is usable in reality, if for instance one got an account in Baltimore?
Read here

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/X...-Markets-98251