Boy, the iphone fanboys are gonna loooove this...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've powered on my n900 (10 min) before charging it with my laptop usb port. The mic was ok.
The next charge was in my car with my 6210Nav car charger and the little adapter from the n900. The mic is ok.
Third time, i've used the n900 charger and after the battery was fully charged, no mic until i power off and restart the n900.
Now i'll charge my n900 with all but the original charger without mic problem.

Does anyone know the usb cabling diag ? I may try to see if there is something wrong with the voltage (with my fluke multimeter).

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

Originally Posted by arcangeli View Post
I've powered on my n900 (10 min) before charging it with my laptop usb port. The mic was ok.
The next charge was in my car with my 6210Nav car charger and the little adapter from the n900. The mic is ok.
Third time, i've used the n900 charger and after the battery was fully charged, no mic until i power off and restart the n900.
Now i'll charge my n900 with all but the original charger without mic problem.

Does anyone know the usb cabling diag ? I may try to see if there is something wrong with the voltage (with my fluke multimeter).

Sorry for my bad english, i'm french.

Good idea.

Have a look here.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

I can now confirm that my mic work well only if i charge it with my car or my old 6210Nav charger. Not with the n900 one.
I can reproduce this problem at all time.

Please, do not use the nokia n900 charger if you've just received your phone. Use the usb cable with a computer or another charger.

Shadow12: thanks for the link, i will test my charger.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Has someone filed a bug for the mic issue? Seems to be something causing it and restarting the device brings it back. I'm talking about a bug for this mic issue and not the hardware related one.

The original charger give me 4.967V. Very stable until i've connected my usb powered led light. When i connect it voltage go down (4.12V) and when i remove the light it go up to 5.89V which is to much.
The problem may appear when the battery is fully charged.
I'll make other test later.

If this was a bug, why does it work with other charger ?
I think of a faulty charger.

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
The original charger give me 4.967V. Very stable until i've connected my usb powered led light. When i connect it voltage go down (4.12V) and when i remove the light it go up to 5.89V which is to much.
The problem may appear when the battery is fully charged.
I'll make other test later.

If this was a bug, why does it work with other charger ?
I think of a faulty charger.

not to contradict your findings, but just to let you and others know, ive been using my charger past 2 days, no problems so far.
However, chances are there some chargers are faulty, wish I had a multimeter with me now so I could measure the voltage.

But yes, usb is always the safest way to charge

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Arcangeli, is this is reliably replicable, please can you file a bug on it pronto! I can't for the life of me work out why a different charger would affect the microphone, but you might just have put your finger on the problem.

If all the people with no mic need to do is get a new charger... well you see the difference it would make!

I can now confirm that my mic work well only if i charge it with my car or my old 6210Nav charger. Not with the n900 one.
I can reproduce this problem at all time.

Please, do not use the nokia n900 charger if you've just received your phone. Use the usb cable with a computer or another charger
I've only used the Charger the N900 came with to charge it and I have no mic problems.

I can confirm same kind of of mic problem, it has happened at least once. When the bug was triggered, in all calls the voice of the N900 user was not heard, no matter how many call attempts or different phones on the other end were used. Not sure yet what triggered that bug. Rebooting helped.

A friend of mine says 5800 Express Music, which is a Symbian phone, with its latest firmware update has a similar bug, although the whole phone does not need to be restarted, just attempting the call again is enough to correct the problem. He said the firmware was withdrawn from Nokia Update service and he cannot downgrade.

There has been also a situation with N900 that the phone "dropped" from the network, no call went through. Restarting the phone helped.

I bet 5800 Express Music and N900 are running almost the same GSM/3G protocol stack code (isolated from Symbian and Linux) and the bug is somewhere there.

Tags
audio, broken, dead, doa, fail, failure, lack of quality control, mic, microphone, n900, n900 recall, no audio