Posts: 637 | Thanked: 445 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kaliningrad, Russia
Would be nice to have that icon bar to select categories
Actually there is a version of Telescope in repos with bar. just update. But now it's very simple and looks not so nice

But if I rename the internet category I should be able to manually bind the globe icon to it.
Yep, long tap on the category will open a dialog or something and user will able to select a different icon.

There is also the problem of too many categories.
Yes it is. There is enough space for nine categories, but thats it. But I reaaly don't think somebody needs so many categories. There is no much software for Diablo, just it
There is another my idea that you may scroll this bar like mynook.ru launcher for nook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO5jpgunFOE

If the category spilled over into a second page
Maybe we can make a iphone-like thing: drag the screen to the left or right to change a page? But your idea is good too!

Thanks for comments!

If the category spilled over into a second page it could display the current page number and max page number on the selected icon and tapping that icon would cycle through the pages for that category.
What about this one?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Kroll said: There is enough space for nine categories, but thats it.

I currently have 18 tabs.
I do agree that it is ugly, but it works
Attached Images

I meant there is space for 9 icons and it will be perfectly nice. Of course you can make more categories, but it will be ugly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kroll For This Useful Post:
This new bar is awesome! Why wasn't there an announcement about the release?

Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
What about this one?
I think it would better if it had the current page number in one corner and the total number of pages in the other. Would help to show that the category has multiple pages and what page is showing. If you want to keep it graphical maybe you could add "folder tabs" along the top of the button representing each page and highlight the current tab in blue.

Originally Posted by n9ots View Post
I do agree that it is ugly, but it works
Are half of those multiple pages in the same categories?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Are half of those multiple pages in the same categories?
I have 12 discrete categories (added a bunch to see if they would be shown), 3 have multiple pages.

Why wasn't there an announcement about the release?
because it is only release candidate

I think it would better if it had the current page number in one corner and the total number of pages in the other. Would help to show that the category has multiple pages and what page is showing. If you want to keep it graphical maybe you could add "folder tabs" along the top of the button representing each page and highlight the current tab in blue.
Good. Lets try to make something like it. Tomorrow.

The new category bar doesn't draw the names in portrait mode. It also doesn't switch to desktop when the launcher background is tapped in portrait mode.

EDIT: After switching back to landscape the category names are gone. Restarting Telescope brings back the names in either orientation but they stop working as soon as the screen is rotated. The background tapping goes to desktop when the names are visible but stops working when the names are broken.

Last edited by auouymous; 2011-02-26 at 04:27.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Yes, portrait mode breaks it all. I will try to fix this today. Category bar will remain it's position while rotating. I mean, it will be at bottom in landscape and at left side in portrait mode.
Because we can pack 12 categories in 800px, but not in 480px

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Telescope 2.0~rc10
  • Fixed font rendering that was not so accurate. Slight shadow added.
  • Portrait mode fixed. Now panel will not rotate with the screen. App icons will be rotated as before.
  • App icons layout changed a little: now icons will take full screen width

(Obviously, ‘2.0’ version was introduced too early...)
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post: