Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
A friend was talking about a thermal damage to the transistors. (General to Nokia phones with such a problem)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ intheclouds
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
NEWS:
Collecting names of users to help with the PRE-Fix solder down to fix the USB before it comes loose
Please PM the Users in the List that resides in your "area" to get a quote on having your N900's USB strengthen

PM or Post if you want to "sign up" to help preserve as many N900's out there, the USB still breaks on minimum 1x N900 a week these days.
mveplus: For USB reinforcing/repair in: China
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mveplus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
any indian want to reiniforce his usb port or other stuff contact me via pm you pay only shipping charges

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Freiburg / Germany
I have a N900 in a really good condition - looks like new. But the USB Port is broken away. I tried first to fixing for myself, but i cant solder more as the jack itself on the right and left side. I have no such equipment to solder the contact.

Can someone fixing it for me please? I`m comming from germany. Please contact me with my email.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
dont fiddle with it tux and post a clear picture

Hey all to give you an update on http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=235

they couldnt fix it they reported the pads had been ripped off the mainboard and it was 'beyond economical repair' they did say they would refund me the fee they charged for fixing it which i thought was very reasonable of them (though i havent checked my bank yet to see if they actually have).

so i ended up buying a second hand one off ebay for £48 - also with a borken usb port, but it still does data (flashed it ok - seems fine at 900mhz oc@ideal - im gonna swap out the mainboard into my old housing cos this second hand one appears well used and a bit tatty.

when i get some time ill experiment with my old mainboard to see if i can coax life into it somehow.

cheers
fusi

Originally Posted by longuist View Post
Thanks for your reply. So i will ignore the id...

Her luck

As soldering such tiny parts with big tools seems very difficult i decided to try my skills on a defect n900 i bought a while ago for cheap. Because every solder pad was gone, i decided to use a big usb cable.
Its pinout:
1 VBUS Red +5 V
2 D− White Data −
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground

For soldering I used this pic as reference:

In the attachment you can see the result. Unfortunately it didnt worked first, i found out the fuse was blown too. I had nothing similar lurking around so i placed a diode in its place.
After plugging in the device started to charge, even both drives showed up, but were not accessible. This is likely due to the n900 itself is not showing the dialogue to select connection type.
I dont know whats causing this, hope someone has an idea of what to check next.. /:
Can you tell me how you removed parts of the shielding frame from the PCB? It looks like you cut it. I am in the same boat, need to access the connections and the frame is in the way.

Thanks
Donn

The Following User Says Thank You to nnod For This Useful Post:
First, you remove the outer shield (it's just "clipped" in). Then, you need to carefully cut the base. Watch for small SMD thingies, they're extremely valuable to getting cut, if knife/scizzor/whatever slips off. I recommend either sharp, thin knife, or small cutter tool.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
First, you remove the outer shield (it's just "clipped" in). Then, you need to carefully cut the base. Watch for small SMD thingies, they're extremely valuable to getting cut, if knife/scizzor/whatever slips off. I recommend either sharp, thin knife, or small cutter tool.

/Estel
Thanks Estel, I will give this a try. I was also thinking of carefully using a butane torch at a distance. Would you suggest a dremel? I thought that would be too big to fit into this space.

If I use a knife, should I try to pry it upwards away from the PCB, or will this rip the solder points (and possibly nearby SMD components) off as well?

I don't think you have high chances of desoldering base, no matter of what type of soldering iron/torch you use. At most, you will heat up whole ground plane to unhealthy levels.

Prying upwards is IMHO bad idea, too - you may take part of outer ground plane away with you. N900's PCB is 7 layer one - you have nice chances of ripping few ultra-thin tracks, too. But, I have never tried this method (and I'm not planning too), so practice may wary.

Now, the bright part - base of shields isn't titanium it's quite easy to cut off, and I was able to do it with plain kitchen knife, every time I needed.to do such fix. Now, of course, using special carving knife would make life easier, for sure.

Anyway, you just cut it (no ripping, no level'ing) with ease.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!