Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lol anyone consider angry bird a deal breaker should not be allow to carry a smartphone

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Thats like saying that Mickey Mouse is an old comic.

Rovio has turned it into the 2nd biggest license platform on the planet. Only Disney pushes more crap (toys, candy, whatever) than Rovio does. Its hugely popular and way beyond being just an old game.

I don't care about Angry Birds products either, but Rovio is huge and getting them on the sail boat would be a huge opportunity for Jolla. It alone would get them extra sales and - even more importantly - other big boys might follow Rovio's lead.
An Angry Birds Other Half would be pretty cool, and very marketable. It would also be a nice touch, if I'm not mistaken, the first platform they ported AB (from iOS) to was fremantle in 2010.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But 1gb, true multi-tasking + Android compatibility is where my concern for the 1gb of RAM comes in.
Maybe that's part of the point? To lure users to use/lobby for native Sailfish applications, while not restricting the user from accessing their favourite ones that otherwise aren't available?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Maybe that's part of the point? To lure users to use/lobby for native Sailfish applications, while not restricting the user from accessing their favourite ones that otherwise aren't available?
It would be quite dumb for jolla to intentionally cripple the android experience in order to promote native app development.

I think on older android versions the memory limit for dalvik processes is 24MB or so anyhow, only native code can exceed this. Don't know about recent android versions, and wether jolla will support native code as well.

So 1Gb doesn't seem to be unuseable low, even with a couple of android apps running.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
It would be quite dumb for jolla to intentionally cripple the android experience in order to promote native app development.
I agree with your other points, but I didn't mean what you understood :-) I don't think that Jolla will _intentionally_ cripple Android applications, but it will certainly not:
- Stick 16GB of RAM to run them competitively
- Hack them so that you get the Sailfish experience (you know, all those buttons in the multitasking window et al)

Marc said already that "if you want the full Sailfish experience, you'll have to use native app[lication]s".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My only fear about the 1gb is how will ACL respect that because those apps are normally bloated and that's without adding in the actual process for compatibility.

MeeGo was crazy efficient. So I can assume that SailfishOS is as well. But 1gb, true multi-tasking + Android compatibility is where my concern for the 1gb of RAM comes in.
Weeeelll I am not going to run any Android crap on my device if I can avoid it[*], so that should not be any limit for me.

[*] Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to run at least one piece of Android crap on my device.... Just today I learnt that the bloody cheapskates IT-fscking parasites have made a decision to revoke all RSA-hardtokens, "because they are too expensive to maintain"
What this means is I have to run a RSA-softtoken to get VPNC to my office... and the supported platforms are M$, iOS, Symbian & Android, not Linux, not Harmattan, not Sailfish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Weeeelll I am not going to run any Android crap on my device if I can avoid it[*], so that should not be any limit for me.

[*] Unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to run at least one piece of Android crap on my device.... Just today I learnt that the bloody cheapskates IT-fscking parasites have made a decision to revoke all RSA-hardtokens, "because they are too expensive to maintain"
What this means is I have to run a RSA-softtoken to get VPNC to my office... and the supported platforms are M$, iOS, Symbian & Android, not Linux, not Harmattan, not Sailfish
You need just to use google search
http://smallhacks.wordpress.com/2013...en-from-linux/
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2013-10-02 at 12:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
You need just to use google search
http://smallhacks.wordpress.com/2013...en-from-linux/
Tusen Tack!!
I have to admit I even never tried searching for solution, jost got it given it would not work....

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I agree with your other points, but I didn't mean what you understood :-) I don't think that Jolla will _intentionally_ cripple Android applications, but it will certainly not:
- Stick 16GB of RAM to run them competitively
- Hack them so that you get the Sailfish experience (you know, all those buttons in the multitasking window et al)

Marc said already that "if you want the full Sailfish experience, you'll have to use native app[lication]s".
Maybe I understood you wrong a bit intentionally. Yes, it's supposed to be a sailfish device, not a better android phone, so optimizing android will not (and should not) be their primary goal. But I don't understand Marc's quote in a way that android apps will feel much worse on a jolla device compared to a mid-end android*, but that they will feel worse compared to sailfish applications.

*for apps that do not deeply integrate with the system, but that's where one would use native stuff anyhow. But for many standard-apps it should work well enough, and it's of great value actually, think local public transport/online ticket apps for example, highly unlikely to get ported to sailfish (except for Finland maybe).

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
It would also be a nice touch, if I'm not mistaken, the first platform they ported AB (from iOS) to was fremantle in 2010.
The good old days... Here at TMO was even quite active presence from Rovio discussing the Angry Birds port of Fremantle.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post: