Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by goashem View Post
Same thing here. After only two weeks, one morning, I removed the charger connector and the microUSB thingie just came out. I took the phone to the official Nokia Care here in North Finland but soon, I got the answer: "our warranty does not cover this, it is BER (Beyond Economical Repair)".

Yeah right. There is obviously something wrong with the connector: take a look at this (sorry if someone has already mentioned this page).

This could be a hilarious thing if it had happened to an inexpensive, say 20 €, equipment. But it's a 600 € phone. And the same thing has happened to a lot of people. So.. Well, you've probably gotten my point already .
This just amazes me.
- How in hell they got you out of shop after saying that?
- This falls under basic consumer warranty.
- First thing is that you can wipe your arse with given warranty (1-3 year or something on electronical stuff) If it is construction error then its lifetime warranty here in Finland So maybe its time to be persistent (but remember not *******) towards seller.
- Have you tried to contact directly to Nokia? Maybe the seller is just trying to avoid some extra cost.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Oulu, North Finland
Originally Posted by slender View Post
This just amazes me.
How in hell they got you out of shop after saying that?
I was amazed and confused. So, I barely could say "thanks, bye". It's like buying a new car, driving around for a while, seeing the fuel tank fall off, taking the car back to the store and getting an answer "there's nothing we can do about it, it cannot be fixed anymore". Try that and you'll get approximately where I was at that moment.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
You're all dreaming. All your power/USB-connectors are still firmly in place. The issue only affects pre-production devices.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
This problem was addressed in the final sales devices.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You're all dreaming. All your power/USB-connectors are still firmly in place. The issue only affects pre-production devices.
Yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnjaUoR15dU

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Aperture Science, Inc.
addressed =/= solved, it seems.

What's the easiest giveaway that a n900's connector isn't of this defective type?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I just got my replacement for my prototype N900. I was hit with the USB port being weak and coming off the circuitboard on the prototype. I am seriously scared to **** and worried that each time I plug it in could be its last. It's not a very fun state of mind to be in.

Oh wow (off to look up a used n810).
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Ok, i cant start a thread as i dont have rights so this may be in wrong place, Had to send my n900 back as had faulty mic, bright spots on screen and faulty gps, anyway after seven days i now have it back from nokia care burrell way(posted to me). Sheet it came with says it has been replaced, problem is i have opened the box took out the n900 slid the keyboard out and there is no bloody keybord there to type on, whats my course of action/who should i contact, i bought it throught mobile phones direct.

thanks mark

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Hi

I posted this weekend because my phone batt had died and I could not get it to charge.

I took this to the flagship store in london and after testing it they noticed that the usb port was tilted to one side.

Looking around this seems to be a fault occuring on several Nokias. The phone was 6 days old and hardly used. It has not been droped or damaged in any way other then being plugged into the nokia approved charger.

The Nokia store told me I had to return this to NokiaRetail

The answer from NokiaRetail was without any questioning The USB port is not covered under Warranty,

I complained and got them to esculate the issue.

I recieved the following email today.

from Webshop <webshop@mobilephonesdirect.co.uk>
to Dave Hall <--->
date Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:55 AM
subject RE: N900 warranty procedure
Dear Sir,

I have had feedback from head office, Nokia have not recognised this as an inherent fault and have advised that my previous instructions would be the course of action to take. If a qualified engineer deems it faulty and they provide an independent report then we will of course exchange the unit.

Kind Regards

http://nsremote.hbcpremier.com/files/mpd-logo.gif

Mobile Phones Direct Ltd
Unit 36 Mall Marlands
Southampton
SO14 7SJ

Tel: +44 (0)845 470 4000
Fax: +44 (0)845 470 4100
email: webshop@mobilephonesdirect.co.uk

Can anyone give advice on how to get this resolved. The phone is on contract via vodafone so I am now stuck with a £35 per month bill for the next 2 years. To make use of it I am going to have to buy a different smartfone and I really cannot afford taht atm.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Try returning to vodafone?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty