Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, so there seems to be a problem downloading the image tar. I'll get right on that.

- OpenOffice always takes forever to launch from an image file. Once launched, however, it should be fine.

- Please install the Powerlaunch package. This, in combination with Easy Debian, will let you make any application (including OpenOffice) fullscreen by pressing the power button then the fullscreen button. It will also toggle matchbox-keyboard when you press power button, then menu button.

- I just didn't have enough room for Abiword. Once you have done your localepurge, you probably will have enough room to squeeze it in.

- If "apt-get install" doesn't seem to be working, you will need to run "apt-get update" to get the latest set of packages. I stripped out the package lists to make the download size as small as possible.

- You want to follow the instructions from the first post regarding locales:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
International (non-English speaking) users:

Please click on the "Debian chroot" icon and type the following command:
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure locales
Choose your language(s).

Note that you should choose the language with no period between the language and the iso code (eg. "en_CA ISO-8859-1"), and optionally, the utf-8 version, too (eg. "en_CA.UTF-8").

Want more install space?

If you want more space for installing stuff, you can purge all of the language and localization files that you aren't using. Make sure you have configured your locales (as shown above) first.

Click on the "Debian chroot" icon and type the following command:
Code:
apt-get install localepurge; localepurge
This will get you at least 80MB back. You should probably do this first, before starting to install. Running out of space during an install in Debian is ugly.
- You should be able to safely append your BT keyboard xmodmap to the .Xmodmap-keymap file.

- LXDE is a bit slower than IceWM, but it is a full desktop environment, as opposed to a bare-bones window manager. It uses tap-and-hold for right-click, and it has a great little file manager. Fatalsaint is right, that "not responding" thing has been coming up ever since I moved to the C program for opening the window, even with IceWM.

- I don't know why matchbox-keyboard is not working for you. I will investigate that, as it is very important.

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-25 at 16:11.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, small typo but SIGNIFICANT bug found in the image installer script.

Please wait for new version (0.9-4).

Last edited by qole; 2008-09-25 at 19:24.

New version posted. Please use the Easy Debian 0.9-4 package. Follow the instructions in my earlier post.

Thanks again for your patience, guys. Looks like this one should work.

qole any chance you could put a link to your powerlaunch config file on here, I have messed mine up. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by darrennewman@sky.com View Post
qole any chance you could put a link to your powerlaunch config file on here, I have messed mine up. Thanks in advance.
Unzip the attached and drop it into /home/user/.powerlaunch/

But this is included in the .deb, you could just reinstall ...
Attached Files
File Type: zip powerlaunch.conf.zip (375 Bytes, 132 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
A discussion on IRC lead to the suggestion (by matan) that a kernel module based on DMloop or this patch might really improve performance in this project. However, I am not capable of making such things.

If someone with the skills to do such a thing could make me a turboloop.ko module, and then explain how to use this module (mount ... -o turboloop,noatime ?) that would be magnificent.

Thanks again for your patience, guys. Looks like this one should work.
I retested the install from scratch. It works fine now... thanks, qole!

--denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
Edit: uninstalling the easy-chroot-deb package still seems to leave in place the /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs hack.
A reboot is necessary to undo that hack.

- Please install the Powerlaunch package. This, in combination with Easy Debian, will let you make any application (including OpenOffice) fullscreen by pressing the power button then the fullscreen button. It will also toggle matchbox-keyboard when you press power button, then menu button.
Does this version off powerlaunch -- compiled for chinook -- work ok on Diablo?

--denis

Yes, it seems to be fine on both of my post Diablo-SSU N800s.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete