Active Topics

Notices

Carman CPU and log files...

Originally Posted by cevenn View Post
carman ... and cpu at 15%, instead of 5 to 8%...
I know I'm quoting cevenn a liitle out of context, but the point is that even after exiting from Carman some part of it is still operating and continuing to put things into those ever so useful log files. This has two consequences: 1) the log files seem to continue to expand forever and 2) this is probably why CPU is used. The part of Carman that stays is called 'carmand' and I'll try to find out how to make it stop. In the mean time it is possible to prevent the log files being made by editing a file called carmand.service (make a backup first to be safe):

Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /usr/share/dbus-1/services
cp carmand.service carmand.service.debug (make a backup)
leafpad carmand.service
NOTES
you need to install 'rootsh' to be able to 'sudo gainroot'
you can use nano or vi (if you can figure it out) if you don't have leafpad

delete the part in red:
Code:
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.indt.carmand
Exec=/usr/bin/run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/carmand --log-level=debug --log-dir=/home/user
User=user
to leave:
Code:
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.indt.carmand
Exec=/usr/bin/run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/carmand
User=user
Save your edited 'carmand.service' file and then turn your N900 off then on again. Carman won't create the log files from now on.

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
I am happy to step in and be another beta tester if one is required. I have a bluetooth ODB dongle which worked quite happily with carman on my N800 and N810. I did have it running on my N900 unreliably for a short while.

I would like to see carman back up and running again.
If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you my modified version of libobd which (seems to) make connecting to my Bluetooth OBD more reliable...

Originally Posted by Thalass View Post
'm curious about the "configure obd2" option. Does it allow for extra gauges or simply setting up?
'Configure OBD2' is for pairing your Bluetooth OBD with Carman.

Sophie x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Just4pLeisure For This Useful Post:
Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France

Many many thanks, Sophie x!
I removed Carman and installed it again, cause I receive my new OBD2: it works fine now!
So my first problem seems to come from the first dongle!
I'll try as soon as possible to change those files cause it still make cpu run higher...
Thanks!!!

So how close is this to hitting the testing repo?

I'm a windows guy, and I'm stuck on the dependencies issue. Read this thread twice. Not sure what I'm missing. I feel like I need some portion of the dev tools installed, but don't feel like installing every python app in the other repo's.

Something I read maybe indicated it was miss reading bad verisons or something, but even disabling everything but devel when installing gives me the same dependency issues.

Originally Posted by -AEnubis- View Post
So how close is this to hitting the testing repo?
I don't know, it's been a couple of weeks since my last email from one of the developers. I'm not sure how this works but it seems that I can simply update the repositories myself although it seems a little rude to do so.

Somewhat related, I've noticed that ScanTool.net seems to connect to my Bluetooth OBD more reliably than Carman does. My guess is that this might be to do with it waiting for the ECU to timeout before trying to connect although it is a somewhat convoluted method of setting a timer and checking it in a loop to see when it has expired. A simple wait() statement would seem to suffice for this but unlike the mbed system, the N900/Linux/Maemo doesn't seem to have a wait() command! Instead I have seen sleep() (and variations of it) or select() proposed in different forums for the purpose. Can I simply use sleep() instead of wait() and how can I be sure that a 'signal' hasn't messed things up - the more I read about sleep() the more confused I become about what (and why) 'signals' and 'SIGALARM' are about or how they are anything but unhelpful

Originally Posted by -AEnubis- View Post
I'm a windows guy, and I'm stuck on the dependencies issue. Read this thread twice. Not sure what I'm missing. I feel like I need some portion of the dev tools installed, but don't feel like installing every python app in the other repo's.

Something I read maybe indicated it was miss reading bad verisons or something, but even disabling everything but devel when installing gives me the same dependency issues.
Adding '-f' to your install command might help, this tries to repair dependency errors:
Code:
apt-get -f install carman
I'm no expert in this either, more a lucky meddler, hopefully this will help.

Sophie x

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Is it possible to make this work on an ODB-0 ECU that is chipped and using a usb cable to datalog?I was thinking of connecting the usb cable to the N900 now that we can connect things through the usb, and somehow make carman read the data.Would this be possible?

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Scarbrough
Well for the last few days i have trying to find a way to install Carman on n900...

but seriously it is not doing it...
nither through Xterm, and if i go to repsotries manually there are so many types of it i don't know whch one to keep and which one to download or which one to install or how to install...

can please any one explain how to get and install... carman, i my self a mechanic i would love to get this...

So please can any one help me out... !!!!!

Originally Posted by darguzar View Post
Well for the last few days i have trying to find a way to install Carman on n900...

but seriously it is not doing it...
nither through Xterm, and if i go to repsotries manually there are so many types of it i don't know whch one to keep and which one to download or which one to install or how to install...

can please any one explain how to get and install... carman, i my self a mechanic i would love to get this...

So please can any one help me out... !!!!!
Seriously, some of us here are just stuck at step #1: get carman to install on N900. This dependency issue is killing me. I tried disabling all repositories save extras-devel to no avail.
Help!

Originally Posted by Just4pLeisure View Post
I have different errors to you:
Code:
libobd[RAW_DATA]: Recieved from ELM -> 'OK||>'
libobd[RAW_DATA]: Sending to ELM -> '0101|'
libobd[RAW_DATA]: Recieved from ELM -> 'SEARCHING...|UNABLE TO CONNECT||>'
but I can usually connect every other time I try to do so except sometimes when I disconnect I see this in the logs:

Code:
  DEBUG [10:17:02.305572]bt-serial.c:0174 - disconnect_service(): address /dev/rfcomm0
  ERROR [10:17:02.306213] obd-thread.c:0309 - Problems removing bluetooth connection
and subsequently when I try to reconnect I see the disconnected message in Carman almost immediately and this in the log file:
Code:
  ERROR [10:17:06:607788]  bt-serial.c:0149 - DBus error: Port already in use
and when this happens so far I have only been able to fix things by restarting my N900.

I suspect the 1st problem (UNABLE TO CONNECT) and your problem (CAN ERROR) are related to ELM327 control messages, but the bluetooth connection itself is OK. The second problem (DBus error) is something to do with the bluetooth connection itself.

I've succesfully recompiled libobd with a few changes to the initialisation part; specifically:

Changed 'ATST 19' to 'ATST 00' (use default OBD/ELM timeout)
Changed 'ATAT2' to 'ATAT1' (default auto timeout algorithm)
Added 'ATSS' (use recommended OBD search sequence)
Added 'ATSP0' (search for OBD interface type)

Although this hasn't made any difference for me it may resolve your CAN_ERROR problem because I tell the ELM327 to use the recommended search sequence (ATSS) and to always search for OBD (ATSP0) I've sent you a pm if you want to try it out. If it stil doesn't help then I can add code to libobd to specify each OBD method individually... I already plan to make it try to connect a few times before giving up to see if that helps.

Hopefully someone (probably called 'jlu' ) will be able to give me a hint about the bluetooth DBus error message I get

Sophie x
Could you post this publically? I am experiencing the very issue it resolves myself.
Thank you in advance.

Originally Posted by naderkhalid View Post
Seriously, some of us here are just stuck at step #1: get carman to install on N900. This dependency issue is killing me. I tried disabling all repositories save extras-devel to no avail.
Help!

Disable devel, update, install python dependency, enable devel, update, install carman.

Originally Posted by craigsblackie View Post
Disable devel, update, install python dependency, enable devel, update, install carman.
Thank you.
I'm rusty big time on this. I must be getting old. Installed the python2.5 and tried carman. Then all hell broke loose. One dependency brings a few others growing exponentially. apt-get isn't friendly at all with dependencies.
Mercy!

python2.5-efl-core
hildon-imf-ecore
efl-core
no-end-to-this-dependency-thing