Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Just to clear up a point i already know who the council members are and i will give the names.....

Randall Arnold (Texrat)

Alan Bruce (qole)

Attila Csipa (Achipa/Attila77)

RM Bauer (sd69)

Felipe Crochik (fcrochik)

sd69 just posted on here by the way.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I feel that if anyone should come on this thread and give us all a good explanation it should be texrat as he is normally a fair and good guy.

BUT his last few blogs have been about MeeGo so i guess he is really keen on that subject right now but never the less he is the one that could throw some light on all this in my opinion.

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
I notice you've asked a couple of times if people were on the council, you can check out who is on the current council (and on previous councils) via the wiki
thank you for the link.
much appreciated, indeed.

i think there's been a lot of harsh words about the community written here that aren't warranted. To a certain extent you get as much out of the community as you put in. And really, if you have concerns over the council or it's direction then please consider putting your nomination forward for the next elections (which won't be far away). Candidates are always sought after.
me on the Council?
i could list you quotes from my own post highlighting how unconvinced i am about comities, but that would of course just provide ammunition to those who keep posting that i'm nothing but a troll.
so, i'll be honest, i already posted the link on the thread before, so did abill, rather then going down the OS200x path, i'm looking into the arch option.

i don't believe NOKIA will let us down early, simply because it would damage their image as a trustworthy manufacturer much more then pulling out of Symbian or even not producing as much N9s as the world would like to buy.

what i'm more worried about is that the wp adventure goes so badly wrong that Dell or HP or IBM or whatever IT company which feels the need to make a quick entry in the "mobile market" grabs the shares, takes over the Intellectual Property and sells the HW to some Chinese manufacturer.
that would make the situation sort of real tight, i think.
though we might actually get our so much wanted source code

hoping for the best, planning for the worst...

PS: what is my karma? i know the concept in Indian religion, but don't quite see how it translates here?

PPS: how many ppl on Maemo.org do have a karma > 100?
dito > 10?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
thank you for the link.
much appreciated, indeed.
welcome

PS: what is my karma? i know the concept in Indian religion, but don't quite see how it translates here?

PPS: how many ppl on Maemo.org do have a karma > 100?
dito > 10?
Karma is maemo.org's way of measuring how active each member has been in the maemo.org community. Basically, the more you post on here and the more 'thanks' you receive, wikis you edit, any code contributed to the repos, bugs reported, packages you test, etc gets you a little bit more karma. Over time it builds up. You can read more about it here

As it says on the wiki, posts on here only count after linking your maemo.org profiles. If you havent already done it, you can find out here.

You can check your current karma on your profile

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-07-25 at 15:57.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
[...]

You can check your current karma on your profile
¦-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
i'll take it that settles the question about me getting on the Council (or even votting, for that matter)?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
i'll take it that settles the question about me getting on the Council (or even votting, for that matter)?
I believe you've overlooked the suggestion to link your accounts.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I believe you've overlooked the suggestion to link your accounts.
i did link my account after having a 1st look @ my karma.
the karma didn't change, which i was sort of expecting as i haven't developed or tested anything yet.

1st reaction was actually "where would i have a karma from, if not from my posts ?!?"

and as i pointed out earlier, even though i sincerely hope that business will continue as usual for any foreseeable future, i'm going to spend time on testing new OSS replacements for closed components rather then developing of testing stuff within the semi-closed environment right now :-{
respectively contribute to set up such an environment, 1st ¦:-}

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
i did link my account after having a 1st look @ my karma.
the karma didn't change, which i was sort of expecting as i haven't developed or tested anything yet.
The karma calculation only runs every so often. If you just linked your accounts today, you'll need to wait at least a day or two to see a change.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Cordia is a great project, but I'm always wary of forks as they usually just fragment an already small developer base. I want the bugs they've fixed and the code improvements they're making included in the software running on my Maemo device. We can bring Maemo to Meego if you will, but we shouldn't leave Maemo behind. Likewise, all the love going into the CSSU should serve to help the Cordia project.
Forking was never my intention.
We keep in touch with CSSU devs and synchronize often.
Ideally Cordia will run the same Hildon codebase as CSSU.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Forking was never my intention.
We keep in touch with CSSU devs and synchronize often.
Ideally Cordia will run the same Hildon codebase as CSSU.
Fantastic to hear! My apologies. I'm aware of the project, but aside from checking out the website and watching your videos, I've not had much call to dig into it as I'm not fussed about meego right now. I just assumed that as the underlying OSes were so different that you'd be effectively building a look-and-fell-alike rather than a port. My bad.

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down