Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
seriously I dont get it - given that their competitors such as Google and Apple do do new OS on prior phones, why doesnt Nokia do it ? Given how "big" Meego is, is it THAT expensive to port at least the initial version or so (so there is at least 1 year or so of support) to n900 ?
I got the impression that MeeGo doesn't actualy exist yet as a completed product, it is early days, even the LG (annouced as the first Meego product) will not be a true implementation of MeeGo, in the same way that Meamo 6 will not be a true implementation of Meego................I think that we are a long way off from there actually being a true MeeGo device about, probably minimum of a year???

If this is the case, why is it so important for the N900 to get it, phones are generally changed quite frequently, and it may be considered that the N900 is 'out of date' when the true MeeGo is released. I suspect that Nokia haven't committed to whether there will be an implementation of MeeGo on the N900 as it isn't really known when this new OS will actually be released

The Following User Says Thank You to davidh101 For This Useful Post:
The reason is that because Nokia are now focused on MeeGo, they don't give a crap about maemo 5. Regardless I will probably get a MeeGo handset when they do hit the market, but whether or not it's a Nokia handset depends on how Nokia treat the N900.

Originally Posted by messus View Post
If no MeeGo is released for the N900, then somebody in the Nokia department is gonna hear it LOUD from me!! You can count on it! I will not accept being butf***ed by Nokia for my hard earned cash! And I will NEVER EVER again touch a Nokia handset if this happens!
Oh come on, it's not like your N900 is going to suddenly cease functioning when MeeGo devices start appearing. If you had bought a device from any other vendor you'd be screwed within a year or less, the only exception being Apple (but you have no real control at all with them, and when your iPhone model is finally dropped you're SOL.)

Mer and MeeGo are being run as community projects, and if Nokia will work as hard to help Mer get drivers for their hardware despite not even producing the device anymore then I expect that equal levels of support will be available for the N900 as the community ports MeeGo to the device.

Of course, you can sit in your chair and demand the world from Nokia, or you can help the community and Nokia provide a future for your device well past the point where any other manufacturer would ignore your e-mails entirely.

Originally Posted by harp View Post
The reason is that because Nokia are now focused on MeeGo, they don't give a crap about maemo 5. Regardless I will probably get a MeeGo handset when they do hit the market, but whether or not it's a Nokia handset depends on how Nokia treat the N900.
I know, they give so little a crap there's no PR1.2 release, with even more down the line planned. All I see is whiners who seem to insist that Nokia has already dropped support for the N900, demanding an OS that was just announced.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-02-25 at 00:44.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by messus View Post
If no MeeGo is released for the N900, then somebody in the Nokia department is gonna hear it LOUD from me!! You can count on it! I will not accept being butf***ed by Nokia for my hard earned cash! And I will NEVER EVER again touch a Nokia handset if this happens!
Please tell me how you can make it LOUD?

Did you buy any N810? I bought more than 2 and still keep 2 but I am skipping the N900 or buy it when price drops deeply. It will happen because that was the case for the N810. I really don't care for any new OS but I do care for supporting from Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Guys, If Nokia won't port MeeGo to N900 then Just install NooGo on your N900 yourself. How hard can NooGo be? lol.. I don't think N900 will get Red Ring of Death or YLOD when no MeeGo.

>> you had bought a device from any other vendor you'd be screwed within a year or less, the only exception being Apple (but you have no real control at all with them, and when your iPhone model is finally dropped you're SOL.)

Errr look at Android.

As for n900 community support - thats for small fixes and minor apps, which are fine by me.

Its the MAJOR apps that the community wont be able to provide (ovi maps and sat nav anyone?) in a complete state. If you read ari's blog (its buried in the comments for the entry when he is on a plane), he has already confirmed that n900 will NOT get what symbian got in terms of the ovi suite sat nav - how long do you think it will take the community to build a substitution ? if ever ?

if you have an andriod/apple phone, you will have no such fear. Both goog and apple are doing everything they can to hold/gain customers. Major apps like this are much more likely to exist.

Nokia ? It cant even get its internal marketing timelines straight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
... how long do you think it will take the community to build a substitution ? if ever ?...
About 2-4 years and then itīs used only by couple of hard geeks who make amazing things with their device. Meantime big group of potential customers go somewhere else because majority of customer want results right now not in near misty future which is filled with questions.

Forks will make things democratic and nice but it doesn't help a lot doing business and money. Open source is nice ADDITION but it will not alone make things successful. To make device successful you have to LEAD and show way by making core OS as good as possible.

I don't know. If N900 is really a flagship device, why don't they offer us (users) all they have offered to, let's say N97 users, like OVI maps with voice guidance, some extra features... and why Nokia doesn't reject the roomers on this forum and elsewhere?

It would mean a lot to all of us who already use N900 and it would get them new users.

Originally Posted by kledoo View Post
I don't know. If N900 is really a flagship device...
I was under that same impression too, but it's now clearly not a flagship device. Quite what exactly it is remains a mystery, imo more like a proof of concept that found itself going mainstream.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
i really hope this post is accurate

Source:
http://www.nokian900applications.com...of-nokia-n900/

Meego, the future of Nokia N900

We already know what will the agreement between Nokia and Intel announced in the MWC 2010. MeeGo will be the operating system that will include in the Nokia N900, in addition to many other terminals and devices.

Meego is an open source project Linux, join Maemo and Moblin, what would be Maemo 6. But it will not be an operating system only to terminals Nokia, will be open to any terminal or hardware, you can access applications that are launched to Ovi Store. Can support multiple architectures and combine multitasking and multimedia.

MeeGo will be available for many users in the second quarter of 2010. Nokia and Intel open the door to a huge amount of possibilitiesfor all users of advanced mobile devices. The future is already here.

Tags
just a bunch of