Closed Thread
"MeeGo platform doesn't move forward if a change breaks N900 - it is a reference device."

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I'd prefer hardware mod free host mode to be honest. Cutting on the device is completely unnecessary, not that I expect you to listen ..
For once probably in a lifetime the way you are ! i actually agree with you and the problem i need to get over is getting a supply to the device not using the usb port and unless someone can give me direction there i am afraid to say the extra pin or charge socket is needed as otg will drain the battery in just an hour or so.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Even the HD2 which I sold to get the n900 has USB host.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Hey Stskeeps, this sounds real good!

However, as much as I'd like to help, I'm "just" an application developer. And I have "only" one N900, which means I wouldn't flash a non-functional OS on it, as I use it daily as my phone and multimedia device.

The question is: how can a person like me contribute to your project?
We are providing non-destructive load-your-kernel-not-flash and dd-image-to-microSD installs for a reason
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
For once probably in a lifetime the way you are ! i actually agree with you and the problem i need to get over is getting a supply to the device not using the usb port and unless someone can give me direction there i am afraid to say the extra pin or charge socket is needed as otg will drain the battery in just an hour or so.
For devices that need more substantial power, an external powered hub will work.

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
god damn so much drama

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Even the HD2 which I sold to get the n900 has USB host.
Host is one thing but even that will drain battery and otg simply does not work because the tranciever is not wired up to monitor for signal from the usb port so how the hell they will get host to work without the wiring mod i have no idea.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Host is one thing but even that will drain battery and otg simply does not work because the tranciever is not wired up to monitor for signal from the usb port so how the hell they will get host to work without the wiring mod i have no idea.
abill, like I've told you so many times. It already works, the reason host mode was chosen over otg is specifically because it does not require any wiring changes. It will not drain the battery when a usb hub is being used, and should even be possible to simultaneously charge at the same time. All host mode needs is a little kernel tinkering to get it to work reliably and easily.

Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
For devices that need more substantial power, an external powered hub will work.
We tried that and got the hot wire situation and the reason i installed a charge socket.
It is only a small hole and if drilled properly looks like it was there from manufacturer.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
We are providing non-destructive load-your-kernel-not-flash and dd-image-to-microSD installs for a reason
Okay, but how can an application developer contribute to OS development?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
blablabla bla, check offenders, community v us, lost dummy, reggie please, show-me-proof, shutupabillpls, wheres-reggie