Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
Eh, neither supports the CDMA networks so the original statement is still wrong ("iPhone supports the all the major US networks while the N900 doesn't"). Point still in favour of the iPhone but not all that much.
CDMA is in decline. And last I checked, bringing up CDMA in a conversation about two clearly known GSM phones is much like talking about cars, but switching it to be about a diesel engine.

Sure, it's still a car, but you didn't specify that in the beginning. I'm quite sure semantic hounds will have fun with that one.

I'd still say that the iPhone doesn't really have that much in its favor for the majority of this group collected here it seems.

Originally Posted by jayholler View Post
For example, in order to connect to the Linux server I run at home from my iPhone I use an app called iSSH which is pretty similar to putty on windows. However, I have set up key pairs and screenrc so that i press the hostname in the app, the app connects me, and then screen reattaches so I'm left right where I left off, but I don't drain the battery by walking around having an active ssh connection back to my home machine while I'm out and about.
I have iSSH on the iphone and it's horrible compared to the N900. Even the simple act of creating and using a private/pub key pair is a hassle on the iPhone. I can't see much on the screen on the iphone due to on-screen keyboard. ssh is one area where the N900 and the real kbd really shines. I'm fortunate to have good eyes for up-close work so I set the font size to 10 and have 96 columns of text available when editing. A real dream come true for me.

Not to mention unless you install some backgrounding application (after jailbreaking) you can only run that app.

If leaving an ssh connection is an issue you can just change it so SSH is off by default and then setup an alias to turn it on when needed. Or off (vice-versa).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
For it to be superior, it would need more than speculation imho.

Stating one is superior by just sheer numbers is honestly tiresome and usually inaccurate. For instance, the PS3 has much more power than the Wii. Yet the Wii has sold more games and systems in Japan. Until very recently, the PSP was second fiddle to the Nintendo DS/DSi in Sony and Nintendo's home country of Japan.

But ultimately, the Nintendo handheld platform still has more sales than the PSP - which has a greater GPU et al.

Simply put... saying that one has more horsepower means ultimately nothing when you don't have any games present. At the moment, while I love my retro gaming like no other - I keep a Dreamcast around, I still have an NEO-GEO console as well among others - and I enjoy emulation; that does not mean it's better for games.

Not in the same wholesale manner you just painted it. With that said; let's just say I have high hopes for the N900. But at the moment, the fact that I'm actually playing Unity3D based games on the iPhone and I don't see that immediately happening on the N900 is my personal concern. Well that and gaming on the N810 was for all intents and purposes rather limited despite it being a great platform for games as well.

It's all about the games. A number about what it can do is invariably theoretical and not real-world applicable in the least.
the only reason i reckon the wii outsold the ps3 is because of the price. the interactive motion controlled games of the wii and the touch screen of the ds would attract a broader range of players, parents and young kids alike. for the hardcore gamers like myself i would go for the ps3 and psp all the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to z3phyr For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by z3phyr View Post
the only reason i reckon the wii outsold the ps3 is because of the price. the interactive motion controlled games of the wii and the touch screen of the ds would attract a broader range of players, parents and young kids alike. for the hardcore gamers like myself i would go for the ps3 and psp all the way.
The PS2 was priced higher than the competition and it outsold the others during its time. It had the pleasure of being both a full-fledged DVD player as well as a game system. The Gamecube nor Dreamcast had that pleasure.

Fast-forward, the PS3 is the Blu-ray "backdoor", just like before it is a full-fledged player and at a cheaper price than most other players yet you also get a game system.

Doesn't seem like it's working in Japan. The interactivity of the Wii could be one reason. Another would be that games speak more for themselves than the exclusives on the PS3/360. But remember... this is Japan. So Shigeru Miyamoto really is like a god there... and that's perhaps the biggest draw.

A lot of speculation, true... but the fact is that it outsold the more powerful PS3 in their home territory.

Hardcore gamers seem to really favor the XBOX Live system, despite having less in numbers, it's more "active" for a paid-for system. Sony's Playstation Network, while free isn't as "active" it seems.

And I'd actually say that the PSP isn't really a "hardcore" gaming solution - the releases are too far and few between in most cases and they've really screwed up with the PSP go. And even though hardcore gamers make up a serious core of the gaming community... the Wii and Nintendo DS have shown that casual gamers are definitely willing to buy games... even moreso than the hardcore crowd.

Can it be said it's the same in the phone market too? The hardcore power users just might not flock to the N900 and other more powerful offerings than the more commercially/casual user phones?

Who knows?

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by Seraphic View Post
I have to agree. I've got both the N900 and an iPhone 3GS. While I really want to love the N900 I find I'm using the iPhone more regularly. The N900 has massive potential with the OS and the hardware but the iPhone at the mo really is the more complete package to use on a day-to-day basis.
an email app? are you serious. the iphone email experience for me was a nightmare. you can argue theres an app for that. but the n900 defeats the purpose for that app.yeah there alot of issues right now. but do you remember the iphone in its first month first year bugy little ****.

Originally Posted by z3phyr View Post
what the f is a hardcore gamer? just because you play hrs of 1st person shooters all day does that make you a hardcore gamer. so some one who plays twilight princess or mario galaxy isnt a hardcore gamer. please.

Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
what the f is a hardcore gamer? just because you play hrs of 1st person shooters all day does that make you a hardcore gamer. so some one who plays twilight princess or mario galaxy isnt a hardcore gamer. please.
I'd argue that anybody that plays Mario Galaxy or Zelda: Twilight Princess is easily a hard core gamer as well as the Halo, Killzone 2 or Modern Warfare gamers as well.

Just my personal opinion. I'd call the Wii Fit users casual gamers though - which until MW2 was one of the top best-sellers this entire year.

Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
an email app? are you serious. the iphone email experience for me was a nightmare. you can argue theres an app for that. but the n900 defeats the purpose for that app.yeah there alot of issues right now. but do you remember the iphone in its first month first year bugy little ****.
I do. And I was not happy with it in the first two years of the iPhone.

But Exchange 2003 support right out of the box is something a lot of people expected but didn't get with the N900 - only Exchange 2007. And my memory isn't too short, but the iPhone didn't have it initially either. And OS 3.x has introduced some new quirks on the iPhone.

But for IMAP, both have been heralded as great for a mobile client.

The fact that people are bringing up the issues now though shouldn't be seen as a negative. Can't get better without pointing out a few shortcomings. That's how I see it.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'd argue that anybody that plays Mario Galaxy or Zelda: Twilight Princess is easily a hard core gamer as well as the Halo, Killzone 2 or Modern Warfare gamers as well.

Just my personal opinion. I'd call the Wii Fit users casual gamers though - which until MW2 was one of the top best-sellers this entire year.
got a lil sensitive over hearing that term used so losely lately. wasnt really an attack on you jus that in genereal. but ive lost many hrs of sleep with the 360 wii and ps3. but i do get you its about the user experience not the hardware. thats what will push the n900 to the top

Tags
comparison, iphone, look! a, n00 idiot, n900, n900 v. iphone war