Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
After some search on twitter found only one person saying he tried the tablet. and she is not a developer. And as always tweet was saying that Jolla tablet is opensource (someone corrected her, but she did not re-post tweet with correction )
So who exactly are those people on tweeter who got tablet?
I did also some pretty wide searches without results. There's only this one tweet about tablet(?) UX study https://twitter.com/cybette/status/613644604760530944 which isn't related to developers.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
The "most opensource" tablet you say? But no proper info about it at all 2 month after promised release date. Transparency you say, and no info again, who will get those, what are the problems and when...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
The "most opensource" tablet you say?
Well, considering the entire set of tablets available today, you've gotta admit that creating a device more open than any of them would not be hard to do. Google's selection of Android for their portable device OS back in the day was a big step forward, but since then pretty much every manufacturer has been entrenching into their own closed ecosystems. (And yeah, the success of Apple does have a lot to do with that...)

So Jolla can probably get away with saying anything they want on that front, as nobody seems to want to compete with them. It just doesn't look profitable to try and sell open portable devices right now.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think we Will get some tablet intel this coming weeks. I have foreseen It. If not, we might have to call jolla and ask what's going on over there...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@Copernicus: Not profitable indeed. Look at how the KDE Vivaldi tablet has failed. And the OpenPandora is available but they're not really making any profit either. So no, open hardware tablets are not profitable (yet).

Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
@Copernicus: Not profitable indeed. Look at how the KDE Vivaldi tablet has failed. And the OpenPandora is available but they're not really making any profit either. So no, open hardware tablets are not profitable (yet).
Linux on desktop is not fully open as well. There are blobs and it's okay. The question are tools to flash and openness in sw part, not drivers and blobs

Linux on desktop is not fully open as well. There are blobs and it's okay.
Blob-free Linux is available!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-libre

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Blob-free Linux is available!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-libre
yes, but how it supports modern hw? Btw there is modern hardware as well, but again performance.

The question how usable is it. While i would always prefer opensource over closed source, i don't mind to have certain closed sourced things if support is good and it works properly. I'm not asking Jolla to opensource everything and 3rd party blobs. But i would like to have it as much opensource as they call it opensource Especially promised parts, the UI parts they promised to opensource before even phone was released

Edit:
P.S. Do not jump at me, but when i'm saying Linux i mean not only kernel but GNU/Linux :P

Last edited by ZogG; 2015-06-29 at 13:57. Reason: Added Linux vs Gnu/Linux

when i'm saying Linux i mean not only kernel but GNU/Linux :P
Ah! There are indeed full distributions built around Linux-libre, and totally open. Examples:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola_GNU/Linux-libre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trisquel

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think we need to give some contructive feed back to jolla. Anyone got an account at this jolla.togheter place?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund