Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I know I'll draw a lot of heat for this... but I don't care what the name of the OS is or even if it's open source - that seems to be Nokia speak for "the community will be your only resource for support" - but what the damn OS can do.

To me, that is what is important. The whole "it's open source" has yet to truly impress me in terms of how it slots into my daily life. Computers, I get paid to tinker with them. Gadgets, I don't mind tinkering with them... even don't mind when I have to start anew.

My phone? I like for it to work and I like for it to have functions and/or the ability to be extended; however I don't want to compile a custom kernel just to be able to dial #100* or that I'll get dropped (support-wise) by the next announcement and/or whim.

Tired of hearing technically what the new OS "may" do for me, or what it "may" mean or what phone it "may" or "may not" show up on. Fix the OS on the phone that's already there, flesh it out or endure the continued negativity and wrath that's all over these boards.

And I do not think that Qt will solve everything either.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
My phone? I like for it to work and I like for it to have functions and/or the ability to be extended; however I don't want to compile a custom kernel just to be able to dial #100* or that I'll get dropped (support-wise) by the next announcement and/or whim.
Well that's why they make devices like the iPhone, or dumbphones.

endure the continued negativity and wrath that's all over these boards.
The only people forced to suffer the whining, idiocy, ignorance, and negativity are the users who have come here, hoping to enjoy a device that wasn't totally owned by the manufacturer or carrier. Instead we get this crap. Thanks for helping others make this place worse, just because you don't like the N900.

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-02-26 at 04:36.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Well that's why they make devices like the iPhone, or dumbphones.
Heh, I didn't even mention the iPhone. Guess since it gets regular updates and corporate support, I'd like to keep it out of the convo. Same for Android and the others.

The only people forced to suffer the whining, idiocy, ignorance, and negativity are the users who have come here, hoping to enjoy a device that wasn't totally owned by the manufacturer or carrier. Instead we get this crap. Thanks for helping others make this place worse, just because you don't like the N900.
And you help make things better? Seriously? I make a point about the fact that the negativity is senseless and you go after somebody that makes that kind of statement?

MeeGo, Maemo, who cares what the name is. The ability to do all of this "cool stuff" hasn't exactly netted much out of it; has it? Support? Updates? A positive future that's been concretely stated?

Meh. Flame away. I think it's funny. Oh, and keep iPhone out of your mouth... I didn't even mention it. Why would you?

Banned | Posts: 109 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010
NOKIA N900 a failed email device. Made for unemployed and underaged..........

Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
So... is that why you bought it? Seriously dude, box it up, sell it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
So... is that why you bought it? Seriously dude, box it up, sell it.
Hell no........but that is the deal breaker

And you help make things better? Seriously? I make a point about the fact that the negativity is senseless and you go after somebody that makes that kind of statement?
You seem to be fanning the flames every time I look. I suppose a lot of older users are upset that there are new people in their playground.

MeeGo, Maemo, who cares what the name is. The ability to do all of this "cool stuff" hasn't exactly netted much out of it; has it?
I've gotten quite an awesome device, if I do say so myself.

support? Updates?
So you're suggesting that Nokia is providing no supports or updates, and that somehow Nokia has already abandoned the device despite not being more than 4 months old. Let's just ignore the PR1.2 update, and the fact that the Ovi store is now fully active.

A positive future that's been concretely stated?
I would suspect it to have a future like any other device, support up through the end of warranty on the last device sold. Nokia's efforts to give the end users the ability to actually control their device are much better than any other I've seen, Android included.

Meh. Flame away. I think it's funny.
Of course you do, you've got nothing invested in this end of the community. It won't hurt you to see it drowned and useless in negativity.

Originally Posted by Tex14 View Post
Works fine for me. Go away, Guber99.

You seem to be fanning the flames every time I look. I suppose a lot of older users are upset that there are new people in their playground.

So you're suggesting that Nokia is providing no supports or updates, and that somehow Nokia has already abandoned the device despite not being more than 4 months old. Let's just ignore the PR1.2 update, and the fact that the Ovi store is now fully active.

I would suspect it to have a future like any other device, support up through the end of warranty on the last device sold. Nokia's efforts to give the end users the ability to actually control their device are much better than any other I've seen, Android included.

Of course you do, you've got nothing invested in this end of the community. It won't hurt you to see it drowned and useless in negativity.

Works fine for me. Go away, Guber99.
How old are you? Who gave you money to buy it?

I've been here 2.5 years. I doubt that I could be considered new to this area, nor is this a "new playground" for me either.

Try again. I'm not fanning any flames - no reason for it. I don't get the feeling that I've gotten screwed by Nokia. Not one bit. But I also like to have things, in concrete terms about what's next. That's the best way to make an informed decision.

If you're against that, then... makes no sense to me. Just like the whole "new people" comment and how it's applicable to me. Doesn't apply.

Glad you feel that way. I too thought it was a great device during my time with it.

A store where you (past tense) can actually buy DRM laden books, from the N900 and then not be able to read them? Yeah... that's rather half-baked and if it's gotten any updates, they were needed.

PR 1.2 is speculation thus far.

And since you're the neophyte here - I've been here longer - I can remember the last Maemo device before your precious N900 didn't get support past it's thirteenth month of existence. Mer was started, 2 years later still waiting.

You think MeeGo will get ported - if need be - quickly? History has shown otherwise.

Since you've already called me "fanning the flames"... people with the USB port problem seem to be having support problems via a device purchased and still under warranty. When I had a serious problem with my N810, I sent it to Nokia while still under warranty.

Then I had to call them relentlessly to get it back. Once I got it back, it was still "broken"... it took these boards for me to get the problem fixed. I know that these boards offer more support than Nokia.

A 770, N810... yeah. I've got nothing vested. Ignore me while I go append how to lighten your Maemo 4 install too... I think I'm due for another tutorial on how to do that.

Seriously, you're just talking out of the side of your mouth, rather ignorantly too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I've been here 2.5 years. I doubt that I could be considered new to this area, nor is this a "new playground" for me either.
Context man. -this subforum- is new, as are all the users that came in with the N900. You have quite obviously been here longer.

I don't get the feeling that I've gotten screwed by Nokia. Not one bit.
Had me fooled.

PR 1.2 is speculation thus far.
Of course, it's just gonna evaporate mid-stride.

Since you've already called me "fanning the flames"... people with the USB port problem seem to be having support problems via a device purchased and still under warranty. When I had a serious problem with my N810, I sent it to Nokia while still under warranty.

Then I had to call them relentlessly to get it back. Once I got it back, it was still "broken"... it took these boards for me to get the problem fixed. I know that these boards offer more support than Nokia.
And that thread has remained extremely civil and informative, unlike this one which has been reduced to fearmongering.

A 770, N810... yeah. I've got nothing vested.
Not in the N900/Meego/related subforums.

Tags
just a bunch of