I thought it had 16gb and 32gb options. Or maybe I just assumed they would match ipad. If 16gb (through micro sd card) is all you get then I am suddenly much less interested.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I thought it had 16gb and 32gb options. Or maybe I just assumed they would match ipad. If 16gb (through micro sd card) is all you get then I am suddenly much less interested.
I know! My heart sunk when I read the verizon list and the 16GB microSD listing. Of course, this could be mis-information, which wouldn't be surprising with how tight lipped Samsung has been. So I suppose we have to take a wait and see.

I also read that there would be a 32G option, so I'm curious to see if it's in-device memory or just a large SD card.

EDIT: On second thought, the idea of only 2GB of internal memory seems silly as the S has 16GB built in. I think this is misinformation on Verizon's part.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2010-09-18 at 23:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
"Built-in 2 GB internal memory with 16 GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32 GB"
http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/09/pr2010-09-16a.html

16GB on a memory card is nice, but it would be far nicer if it were soldered to the mainboard of the device.
Sorry but i can't agree with that. By all means have 16 Gb soldered on in place of the internal 2Gb but leave the expandable micro SD slot.

One of the many reasons I have to dislike the iPad is lack of expandable removable storage. That is a precedent that needs to be broken.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
"Built-in 2 GB internal memory with 16 GB pre-installed microSD™ expandable to 32 GB"
http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/09/pr2010-09-16a.html

Sorry but i can't agree with that. By all means have 16 Gb soldered on in place of the internal 2Gb but leave the expandable micro SD slot.

One of the many reasons I have to dislike the iPad is lack of expandable removable storage. That is a precedent that needs to be broken.
I read his post as saying the same as you. He wants 16gb on the flash drive but also a micro sd slot for an additional 16gb (or 32gb once they become reasonably priced).

It has always been a frustration of mine with android phones that they have such little internal storage when ipod touch, iphone, n97 have had 32gb for donkey years. If that is being carried over to their tablets then colour me unimpressed.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
@ Capt'n Corrupt
I read his post as saying the same as you
Sorry if I misread the post but I did read it a few times and still concluded othewise.

It is still ambiguous to me though.

@ Capt'n Corrupt

Sorry if I misread the post but I did read it a few times and still concluded othewise.

It is still ambiguous to me though.
No worries! I should have been clearer in my post. In my defense, it was late and I was tired and/or drunk.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
It has always been a frustration of mine with android phones that they have such little internal storage when ipod touch, iphone, n97 have had 32gb for donkey years. If that is being carried over to their tablets then colour me unimpressed.
I'm 100% with you. I'm puzzled as to why modern [Android] devices have had such small amounts of memory. I would think that by now 32G would be the standard (or at least 16GB), and in this case especially considering Samsung manufacturers solid state memory!

Time will tell, but I'm hopeful that the Tab will have 16GB internal memory. Here's hoping that the 32G option isn't too expensive!

GSM arena seems to list the Tabs 16GB as internal. This is a relief as I'm much more inclined to believe their specs (and common sense) than a Verizon promo poster.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p100...y_tab-3370.php

The Dell Streak has 2Gb internal storage for system & applications files. This is not soldered on but is by way of a 2GB non-user accessible MicroSD.

However If the case is opened then the SD becomes accessible and swappable for a 32Gb.

I don’t mind that option either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
The Dell Streak has 2Gb internal storage for system & applications files. This is not soldered on but is by way of a 2GB non-user accessible MicroSD.

However If the case is opened then the SD becomes accessible and swappable for a 32Gb.

I don’t mind that option either.
Indeed, that's an acceptable option as well, and if it weren't for the high prices of microSD memory, it would almost be more desirable!

I'm personally hoping that the 32G version isn't too much as this would be enough storage for me to use comfortably sans expansion in the foreseeable future -- of course, either version will get the 8GB card currently in my N810. If the price is prohibitively high, I'm sure I can make do with the 16GB + 8GB (24GB); I've lived with 8GB on the N810 for some time without incident.

I'm also hoping that at the very least the back of the Galaxy Tab can be taken off for battery replacement. From the literature, I understand that it's not user-swappable (thankfully battery life is stellar), but I would still like the option of purchasing a battery on Amazon and changing it myself when I inevitably wear down the built-in battery from continuous use. The inconvenience and high-price of having it changed at a 'service centre' is not appealing in the slightest.

I'm also hoping that at the very least the back of the Galaxy Tab can be taken off for battery replacement. From the literature, I understand that it's not user-swappable
All of this makes me appreciate more and more just what a superb set of design decisions went into the Dell Streak. I wonder if Dell will produce a 7” version of the form factor.

Last edited by Rebski; 2010-09-20 at 09:23.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy