Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Which music player do you like the most?
Poll Options
Which music player do you like the most?

Re: the Nokia Media Player, I use it just because it's there (i.e., laziness), has a clean & straightforward interface, and pulls in your music files (although this feature sometimes breaks). However, I just looked at YouAmp, and it has those things as well (except the laziness part). Hmm...

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
My personal favorite on any platform is xmms2 and that's what I expect to see on the n900 as well

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
My personal favorite on any platform is xmms2 and that's what I expect to see on the n900 as well
I find that xmms behaves very badly and is a pain in the neck to use* on my N800. Is there a different app called "xmms2" -- rather than "xmms" -- that is available for the NITs?

*For example, the windows insist on staying on top of other windows when other apps should have priority. (I also found that xmms sounds very good and plays and finds ogg files without problem.)

I use mpd, mmpc, and sonata.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
I find that the built in player experiences the fewest glitches when also running maemomaper.
Probably the two most used apps while in the car. Probably half of my colection is ogg files and with the oggified stock media player I really notice very few unexpected pauses. My second favorite is ukmp just cause it had such cool features and was tactilly(sp) friendly

I'm starting to feel very bad for GPE Audio Player and Kilikali.
Makes me want to install them to try them out.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
I recently uninstalled Canola, having found it slow to start up, and sluggish to respond. It was also difficult to do some things (e.g. add podcasts), and development seems to have stopped. I tried Kagu briefly, prompted by this thread, but I found the interface a bit confusing, and the functionality limited. I'm now trying out Mediabox, which looks promising.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Nothing, or almost nothing, suits my needs anymore too much data to parse hence Winamp-like interface doesn't cut it anymore. None of the iTunes-like interfaces are good enough. amaroK 1.x was interesting, but I don't run KDE and don't like the 2.x roadmap. There is also the issue of integrating between different desktop (and mobile) clients. For now, I'm using Rhythmbox + PulseAudio, and I'm moderate content.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I recently uninstalled Canola, having found it slow to start up, and sluggish to respond. It was also difficult to do some things (e.g. add podcasts), and development seems to have stopped. I tried Kagu briefly, prompted by this thread, but I found the interface a bit confusing, and the functionality limited. I'm now trying out Mediabox, which looks promising.
for podcast-management give gpodder a try.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I find that xmms behaves very badly and is a pain in the neck to use* on my N800. Is there a different app called "xmms2" -- rather than "xmms" -- that is available for the NITs?

*For example, the windows insist on staying on top of other windows when other apps should have priority. (I also found that xmms sounds very good and plays and finds ogg files without problem.)
xmms2 is xmms redesigned from the ground up. It's a client-server approach so has multiple frontends available etc.

I'm not sure if xmms2 is available for the NITs yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:

Tags
canola, quasar