Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Seems like a good phone but I have a hunch that people are switching back after october

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Don't think so. The desire is far more accomplished than the Nokia. I've found one fault with the Desire as opposed to rather a lot for the N900 (and every other major release of Nokias over the last 3 years).

Last edited by bonerp; 2010-04-26 at 06:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
Originally Posted by thecube View Post
how is the battery at the htc desire
Day and a half with normal use. Day with heavy use / calls text and email. Bit of browsing.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
you forgot MULTITOUCH

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Imagine BMW releasing a car where you need to download various bits of dashboard accessory to get basic funcionality, like a petrol gauge or low fuel warning. Then you have to wait for the second firmware to make it drivable. BMW don't release the car and then expect a bunch of none paid back street mechanics to add to the car as it drives along over the course of six months.
Exactly what it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
I played with the desire over the weekend. Never been so jealous. I left a HTC tytn2 for the N900 and HTC make good phones for the most part (Tytn2 had a pants camera, but that was a minor point.)

Totally agree on the colours, the app store rocks, the provision of basic software on the phone itself (I was told of two apps you do need, but that beats the five I needed to get the n900 working) As a phone it was a phone and did everything. Went on line, it was quick, smooth and clear. Downloaded apps while we watched, messed about with some of the features and it felt good in size and weight.

More importantly it does email sync (I spent seven hours yesterday failing to connect mine and have given up on any functioning work use)

I got the N900 for the keyboard and linux, but there is none of the apps I need and the keyboard is rubbish if you plug in headphones, I can't hold the thing. So I find myself using the on screen one when listening to music because of the ear phone jack location. And I have to wear the headphones to talk to people because of the speaker volume bug.

Everyone seems to be waiting for the second firmware upgrade to make the phone usable. Change the word phone for car and would you still think is this normal?

Imagine BMW releasing a car where you need to download various bits of dashboard accessory to get basic funcionality, like a petrol gauge or low fuel warning. Then you have to wait for the second firmware to make it drivable. BMW don't release the car and then expect a bunch of none paid back street mechanics to add to the car as it drives along over the course of six months.

I think common sense seems to have left some people
Question about the colors: Are you giving the N900 a fair test, Having the display brightness turned down might cause it to look too dark and fuzzy. I mean, at least both devices should be set to the same device-relative brightness level. Right?

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-04-26 at 12:18.

"Imagine BMW releasing a car where you need to download various bits of dashboard accessory to get basic funcionality, like a petrol gauge or low fuel warning. Then you have to wait for the second firmware to make it drivable. BMW don't release the car and then expect a bunch of none paid back street mechanics to add to the car as it drives along over the course of six months."

BMW?, I would compare the N900 to my old rusty 1970's Malibu station wagon with a 454 cubic inch V8 with a 4 barrel carb

-It had a lot of storage space with nothing to put in it.
-It could outperform a Porsche in a straight line race but nobody cared.
-You never knew when it was going to run.
-It could easily crash if you weren't careful.
-It broke down so often that you had learn how to service it yourself .
-The community was very helpful telling you how to fix it when it broke.
-The patches were ugly like the the plywood covering up the hole in the floor and the bondo on the body.
-Everything had to be done manually
-It was fun until you needed it to function.
-Once you had a real job, you needed to get something that worked reliably.
-The chicks were not impressed with it's boxy design.
-If you left the radio on for a little while, the battery would die.
-When you told people how awesome it was and tried to show them how fast it was, they would laugh when it wouldn't run.
-It could be unlocked easily due to the rusted out door panel
-It was heavy
-The clock didn't work right
-No accessories were available for it
-It ran hot
-The battery could be replaced easily.
-It didn't have a navigation system.
-Sometimes it was faster to walk down the street to get a hold of someone than to get it working.
-Nobody trusted it on a road trip

Last edited by j-a-k; 2010-04-27 at 07:13.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to j-a-k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by j-a-k View Post
[I]

BMW?, I would compare the N900 to my old rusty 1970's Malibu station wagon with a 454 cubic inch V8 with a 4 barrel carb
OFF- TOPIC:

Love it!

I ran 1970's Lotus sports cars for years. You came to understand two things:

1) There's no such thing as a cheap Lotus
2) LOTUS is an acronym for "Lots Of Trouble - Usually Serious!)

Anyone have any acronym for NOKIA?

Last edited by NokTokDaddy; 2010-04-27 at 07:23. Reason: Typo's & Formatting

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ West Yorks
no open knowledge is available

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmoosehead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by j-a-k View Post
"Imagine BMW releasing a car where you need to download various bits of dashboard accessory to get basic funcionality, like a petrol gauge or low fuel warning. Then you have to wait for the second firmware to make it drivable. BMW don't release the car and then expect a bunch of none paid back street mechanics to add to the car as it drives along over the course of six months."

-It had a lot of storage space with nothing to put in it.
-It could outperform a Porsche in a straight line race but nobody cared.
-You never knew when it was going to run.
-It could easily crash if you weren't careful.
-It broke down so often that you had learn how to service it yourself .
-The community was very helpful telling you how to fix it when it broke.
-The patches were ugly like the the plywood covering up the hole in the floor and the bondo on the body.
-Everything had to be done manually
-It was fun until you needed it to function.
-Once you had a real job, you needed to get something that worked reliably.
-The chicks were not impressed with it's boxy design.
-If you left the radio on for a little while, the battery would die.
-When you told people how awesome it was and tried to show them how fast it was, they would laugh when it wouldn't run.
-It could be unlocked easily due to the rusted out door panel
-It was heavy
-The clock didn't work right
-No accessories were available for it
-It ran hot
-The battery could be replaced easily.
-It didn't have a navigation system.
-Sometimes it was faster to walk down the street to get a hold of someone than to get it working.
-Nobody trusted it on a road trip
No, I DON'T agree. You are simply not fair to the N900 and it's probably because you bought the device for the wrong reasons. If you just wanted another smartphone by all means go buy a HTC Desire or whatever's out there, but the N900 is a mobile linux computer that is also a smartphone.

- It has a lot of storage space and I can think of lots of stuff to put in it and I also do. Can it ever be a negative thing with lots of storage?

- The N900 outperformed everything when (at the time it was released) and people using the device for right reasons DO care about the performance.

- Never knew when it was going to run? At least I have good function and availability, not much trouble I'd say. There are quite a number of bugs yes, but they'll get fixed.

- Easily crash if not careful, yes, but that goes for most devices where the user is given more freedom to do things. If you don't like that freedom, buy an iLockedCrap instead.

- Ugly patches? Where?

- Everything manually? Nooooo.

- It functions! It runs! It is not rusty! The clock works! There are lots of accessories!

- It does have a GPS, but I agree the map application sucks. Let's hope Nokia will improve that.

- I didn't buy it to impress any chicks or for that matter anyone else, anyone who did might have some other issues. I prefer practical things, and I think that a linux based device fits in better there than anything else.

- Wouldn't any device become more heavy and thicker if you have a physical keyboard? Remember, it's a choice you make. Maybe some people forgot to look at the specs. Personally I want a real keyboard.

- All these devices run hot if you use them for what they were intended for, the N900 doesn't stick out that much. The battery technology has to improve.

- Yes, I prefer a replaceable battery. There is some strange device out there with an apple on it where you have to send it to the repairshop to have the battery replaced.

- I DO trust my N900 on ANY trip. There are USEFUL applications and widgets out there that do things that you can just forget about on other devices.

I think we're making the mistake over and over, comparing the n900 with any other smartphone out there. I believe that it's simply a different kind of device with different target users.

Last edited by Larswad; 2010-04-27 at 08:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post: