Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
ragnar, i know what you say is true for many people. i'm just not one of them. you're also right about restrictions and compromises made for the 770 - they weren't visible as restrictions, though. (but: yes, i would have payed extra for the possibility to move modal dialogues ...)

anyway... two more posts and we're back to stylus vs. finger and the cancel-button and all that... maybe we'd better not.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Not to mention that showing the UI now builds expectations about "it will have new features X, Y, and Z! ooh I love feature X, I'm in love with feature X!!!" .... and then at the last minute they find out that X has such a horrendous bug that they have to pull back on that feature.
windows vista?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
CCI: Compact Handheld
3" Candybar
Full internet with telephony
Originally Posted by tso View Post
oh how i hate this marketingspeak meme...

What? No, that's For Real! The full Internet will be carried around in your handheld. It will have a 500 petabytes of internal storage.

oh how i hate this marketingspeak meme...
Hey I was just copying the text from the slide as a public service...

But really, what's there to hate about having "full internet" in your pocket, or is it just the words?

If it means that the OS is real Linux instead of the neutered and sandboxed Android, or worse, winCE, I've no problem with that concept.

(From what I read, Moblin is getting Android compatibility built-in so those apps will be available but without the Android OS's restrictions.)

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
(From what I read, Moblin is getting Android compatibility built-in so those apps will be available but without the Android OS's restrictions.)
As any other os now when android is working on ubuntu

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
Hey I was just copying the text from the slide as a public service...
I was fully aware of that, and was wondering if i should (or in any away could) adjust the quote to take that into account.

But really, what's there to hate about having "full internet" in your pocket, or is it just the words?
The problem is that its so nebulous, what does it include exactly? W3C standards only? Third party plugins? And how easy/hard is it to move said goal posts depending on the product?

I have it lined up next to the super/mega/giga/ultra-3G stuff used about mobile phone data traffic speeds.

The problem is that its so nebulous, what does it include exactly?
What if it's simply shorthand for "unrestricted internet"? "Whatever works on the desktop should work on our gadget too"?

Until now most handhelds that the "market" has seen have been rather limited toys or glorified organizers or required specific iphone-truncated web pages and services to work with the dumbed-down applets running on closed platforms etc.

I don't feel any specific love towards marketspeak, but is that expression really worth getting worked up about? When Intel is using it to plug their investment in Linux-based handhelds and quite obviously hoping to take it mainstream?

What if it's simply shorthand for "unrestricted internet"? "Whatever works on the desktop should work on our gadget too"?
Not helping at all, as the desktop will always avoid tradeoffs that one need to do on a portable device.

Right now we are seeing more and more pages thats to large for 800x400 or similar. Hell, i have seen pages that expect a display that has widescreen format, no if's or buts about it.

And unless everyone on this planet suddenly goes "green", a desktop cpu will always have more raw power to go on then a portable one. And as such can throw around interactivity gloss that will make anything else hang on the workload.

The problem IMO, is that the web have become to much about presentation and to little about raw data. Pages with mouse over drop down menus, pages made of pure flash with fancy transitions, background music and whats not. Videos of all shapes and sizes? And to present what? Most likely some sweat shop product that could just as well have been summed up in a couple of still images from different, useful angles (the number of times a image is more obscuring then revealing is just nuts) and a page of text defining the specs.

Hell, current comdex coverage is more video then text, while what little specs one see is blurry as the camera happens to pan over some sheet of paper on a nearby table.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
As any other os now when android is working on ubuntu
Sure, it's a choice by Linux distros to incorporate (and support) those Android kernel extensions + Dalvik VM. Ubuntu/Canonical wants them to sell their NBR edition. Moblin are cooperating with the same folks and choosing to add Android compatibility for the same reasons.

What the deal means is that Google is probably promising to make sure things work on their part without breaking compatibility all of a sudden.

On one hand having more apps (of the portable device kind) available on more (Linux-based) platforms and devices may good for the Android ecosystem and the distros/gadgets; OTOH it'd be even nicer if the effort and momentum was lifting Hildon-based projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
the term is marketing nonsense.

what people are probably trying to say is something like "a lot of the web will be accessible"... which, of course, again means nothing at all. what's "a lot of of"? i remember one of those braindead web applications that store all their data locally (as will be the next big thing once HTML5 successfully killed the web) managed to successfully bring 2 of three desktop PCs to a full halt for several minutes when i logged in. all achieved by scripting and loading/caching data. i very much doubt you'll have a pleasant experience with this kind of service on a portable device.

even more, "internet" includes each and every single application designed to exchange data over IP - i really doubt that those marketroids who coin phrases like "full internet in you pocket" are even aware that "internet" is much more than "web".

it's just one of those phrases that should be forbidden by criminal law. (very much like people telling me at the beginning of a presentation how excited they are about the revolutionary product i'm going to see....)

Tags
mediaphone, mid, moblin