Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
And i guess the licences for 9 and 10 are invald when it Comes to aura. anyways Thank you for the video.
Yes, AURA is a totally new product.

Originally Posted by petur View Post
Since it was running on an n900 (with Maemo), they don't need to port it, they already have it but will not release it. Typical for commercial stuff...

If you need another reminder why you shouldn't sponsor companies like Sygic, this is one.

I'm glad I donated for modRana and didn't give one cent to these *****
It's not only about releasing it but afterwards giving also support. When the revenue is smaller than the expenses for support even you would think twice about releasing an app, right?
You don't sponsor them, you pay them to get a product and support. Sygic is one of the very few companies developing for maemo and now MeeGo. They need to pay their developers, marketing and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I love open source and community approaches, but I don't have a problem with a company asking money for a good product.

edit: one more example: Why EA isn't releasing their WebOS games for maemo? Those only would need a recompile! Even less effort than for Sygic! It's the support they've to provide afterwards which holds them back...

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
How many customers will it take for Sygic to release Aura for the n900?
I've bought SMM 9 and I would definitely buy Aura.
If you like I will ask.

Originally Posted by nology View Post
also I'm pretty sure I read that it's gonna be a free upgrade for MM10 customers. although I'm not sure what they think of upgrading Maemo MM customers to Meego Aura.
No, AURA is a completly new product. SMM9 customers did got a free upgrade to SMM10, but those won't get a free new product.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-04-12 at 06:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I remember Sygic saying AURA was coming for Maemo a long time ago....
Ah well, guess Maemo is really a dead OS to the commercial market. =(

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
If you like I will ask.
Yes please.

On the other hand, I can see how the Sygic people might probably say: Meego DE should work well on n900, just install Aura on that.
Is that in their plans?
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I remember Sygic saying AURA was coming for Maemo a long time ago...
Could you please find the source for me? Gently pushing them into their own words don't hurt anyone, I guess...

Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
On the other hand, I can see how the Sygic people might probably say: Meego DE should work well on n900, just install Aura on that.
Is that in their plans?
Sorry, can't really say anything new on that. I have the statement, that they're concentrating on MeeGo. If that includes MeeGo DE for N900 (ARM) is another question. It would be stupid if not, since AURA runs already on the N900 running maemo (ARM). In the worst case it would be a recompile...

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
What a shame, Sygic have sent mixed messages out from the beginning. From the beginning, when MM9 was released, they said that Asia Pacific wouldn't get MM9, and wait for MM10 "soon". Then, they say MM10 won't be released with Asia Pacific Maps, wait for Aura "soon". Now we hear, albeit unofficially, that there will be no Aura at all for N900, which means they've only concentrated their product for Maemo in the Americas and Europe.

Not surprised, but disappointed.

Last edited by travla; 2011-04-12 at 07:19. Reason: Typo

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Aura looks fabulous. I was quite amazed at how well it was running on a N900, considering the amount of graphics on screen with the 3D buildings. That is one product I would buy, but only with guaranteed map updates for at least 3 years, preferably longer.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
that is brilliant, they should release on maemo any extra revenue has got to be better. or release it to us for free lol that's even better we all win lol

It's not only about releasing it but afterwards giving also support. When the revenue is smaller than the expenses for support even you would think twice about releasing an app, right?
You don't sponsor them, you pay them to get a product and support. Sygic is one of the very few companies developing for maemo and now MeeGo. They need to pay their developers, marketing and so on.
Don't get me wrong, I love open source and community approaches, but I don't have a problem with a company asking money for a good product.

edit: one more example: Why EA isn't releasing their WebOS games for maemo? Those only would need a recompile! Even less effort than for Sygic! It's the support they've to provide afterwards which holds them back...

If you like I will ask.

No, AURA is a completly new product. SMM9 customers did got a free upgrade to SMM10, but those won't get a free new product.
"Update to Sygic Aura on Maemo

Users of Mobile Maps for Maemo that upgrade to MeeGo will receive a free update to Aura once it becomes available. "

Maybe my reading comprehension is bad?
Link to FAQ page
http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/fa...ygic-aura.html

I know I read this a few weeks ago... so I had to recheck and post here.

The Following User Says Thank You to nology For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by xiskillo View Post
sad that genuine sadness, AURA for Maemo in beta mode, letting us know that we will not have available .. that hurts
sounds like what happened with flash 10.1

Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia

If you like I will ask.

All of your points about SUPPORT are valid but be mindfull that Maemo+N900 users will be providing valuable feedback , will raise bugs and issues for FREE, so there is an army of testers for FREE, now functional bugs can be then fixed and released for other platforms and Maemo specific could be ignored..... anyways since there are no Australian maps its useless for me open or commercial.

Tags
buysomethinelse, goodbye nokia