Active Topics

changed to supl.google.com it gave me a lock for the first time ever! but its showing my position 4 miles from where i am. any ideas?

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Randy_Reid View Post
changed to supl.google.com it gave me a lock for the first time ever! but its showing my position 4 miles from where i am. any ideas?
It could be the location of the tower you are connected to.

Network positioning helps in 2 ways - one to provide almanac data to assist in GPS acquisition, and second, to allow coarse-grain location fix (i.e. based on the cell tower location).

When I set my system to Network-positioning only (disable GPS), I am connected to a tower which is about a mile away on top of a bridge.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Randy_Reid View Post
Same here...in DC when I used supl.google.com it gave me a location on the complete opposite side of the city. So I changed it back to supl.nokia.com in case it ever starts working.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
Thanks, I changed to supl.google.com today and it is working much better. It's showing my current location the next block over from where I actually am, but that's a far sight better than what I had before.

The Following User Says Thank You to aprimo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ CT USA
i am in ct mine works fine on supl.nokia

I switched to supl.google.com and it has been working for me.. .finally. Still isn't 100% accurate, but would say it gets within a block or so which is fine for network location.

Hmm..if supl.google.com uses the same database google maps uses for no-GPS position reckoning on S60, it would behoove me to use it.

In my neighborhood I get WAAS-level accuracy in the S60 Google Maps without GPS. (at least until there's significant turnover in wifi networks in the area)

supl.nokia.com was working for me in California, but took a few minutes.
After switching to google, it's almost instant.

But supl.nokia.com gets a location closer to where I am. I'd be at 11642 magnolia st. and it would show 11644 or something like that. Which would be the house right next door

With google i'll be at 11642 magnolia st. and it'll show 11652 or around there. Which is 5 or so houses down.

Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
I am having the same issue here in Canada, just switched to Wind Mobile.
when connected by wifi I get an almost instant location but when connected via 3G 1700mzh I don't get a GPS lock. i would like to know if it is a port being blocked so i can make an informed complaint, or do i just bite the bullet and link to "supl.google.com"

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
the port is being blocked on WIND as of today at least. Yesterday I got a message from the phone saying my user-defined agps server was not respoding and it was switching back to the default. Today I noticed it's switched back to google on its own, but the location thing is endlessly blinking. netcat confirms the connection is timing out, so they are blocking port 7275 and 7276 I guess.