Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The biggest problem with a Support header, though, is that it's not a primary role for this site. Developers needing support should generally be hitting Forum Nokia and users should hit maemo.nokia.com. We are not an official support channel and I don't think support should be one of our primary target areas.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Community
- Wiki
- Talk
- IRC
- Mailing lists

- various other 2nd level links for council, events, etc
Fixed that for you.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The biggest problem with a Support header, though, is that it's not a primary role for this site. Developers needing support should generally be hitting Forum Nokia and users should hit maemo.nokia.com. We are not an official support channel and I don't think support should be one of our primary target areas.
Well i don't think any normal user of the N900 will make that distinction and i think the Talk forums are proof of that.

There is absolutely nothing mentioning support at maemo.nokia.com so where do users turn?
Just because the site may have originally been intended for the purpose you outline doe not mean that it cannot adapt. With no other high profile support option would it not be sensible to take up the reins and give support to new users so that it shows open source is viable for the mainstream?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Fixed that for you.
Those came under "various".

I think we could do a better job of providing redirection.

While providing support may not be the primary target of maemo.org, having an easy access to it would enable more people to contribute to the community.

Many who land to maemo.org here for the first time, may want to contribute to this community. But to be able to contribute, proper knowledge is needed on how and where to do it. If this information is hard to access, the initial enthusiasm might die out quickly.

For example, it took me quite some time to find Brainstorm even after someone mentioned in Talk. Bugzilla was even more complicated. Again, I heard first about it in Talk. Wiki... Yes, what Wiki? I just realised that there was wiki.maemo.org by reading this thread! Well, OK, I've been using it for quite a while, but only pages here and there after landing there from different places, mostly from Google.

And about that top banner. Intro?! What it is that? Who needs it? But it must be way more important than wiki...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
EDIT: I would add an "About" link to Cas07's banner, in lieu of "Intro" on the current one.
Like this...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post:
Yes, although I'd probably have it last in the list.

And if we had dropdown menus, we could pull Downloads and Development off and consolidate them into something like this:

OS/Software
- Downloads
- Development
- etc

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
And if we had dropdown menus, we could pull Downloads and Development off and consolidate them into something like this:
Dropdowns with touchscreen devices? Yeah. Right.

Dropdowns with touchscreen devices? Yeah. Right.
Dropdowns for the site banner.

My touchscreen devices have been able to use them just fine on other sites (my online banking, other forums, web email clients...)

So... sarcasm unwarranted.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-01-19 at 18:52.

Dropdowns for the site banner.

My touchscreen devices have been able to use them just fine on other sites (my online banking, other forums, web email clients...)
It must be the type of dropdown implementation, as i struggle with some sites on my N900.