Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
If Nokia did nothing but continue on current strategy (with their history of failing to execute) there's probably a 80% chance of the stock going to 5.

With the W7 and Meego strategy, I feel there is a 30% of going to $5 and a 60% chance of going to $15. A pleasant surprise might be a decent Meego phone. You'll be surprised how much productivity you can squeeze out of your employees when they know their job is on the line...

Just laying off all Symbian developers saves them 1Billion EUROS a year! shocking!
http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/f...Dbreakdown.jpg
Yes, Nokia can save a lot of costs (R&D, Developers, Marketing, etc).

But I agree, if Nokia cannot turn their investments into profits, they are better off de-investing.

Nokia's valuation must therefore go further down similar to Dell's valuation (assembles and sells commodity hardware).

"elop's first responsibilty is to his shareholders, not us"
well... I'm a shareholder and I'm very disappointed.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
Correct, and OPK was held accountable (certainly too late).
Now Elop announces his new strategy, and the stock is down big time. Do you think that embracing Windows brings NOK up to $15 again?

Performance of a new CEO cannot be measured against failure of the previous guard.
Also "quoted for truth".

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Good tweets from fake Flop.

http://twitter.com/fakeselop
This guy make me laugh! (not the real guy unfortunately)

The Following User Says Thank You to gruik For This Useful Post:
I don't think Elop is a Microsoft or a Nokia man. He is a triple agent really working for Apple. His plan is to finish both Nokia and Microsoft at the same time and eliminate the competition.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wovenstringz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by wovenstringz View Post
I don't think Elop is a Microsoft or a Nokia man. He is a triple agent really working for Apple. His plan is to finish both Nokia and Microsoft at the same time and eliminate the competition.
rofl, judging by his past; that is quite plausible actually...

he's the guy who became CEO of macromedia only to sell it off to the slow bahemoth called Adobe...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by gruik View Post
This guy make me laugh! (not the real guy unfortunately)
Hahaha that is just hilaroius!

Trying out #Symbian one last time before I kill it on Friday. Can't believe the Twitter app costs €7.52!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Just got this from Phones review and i think needs to be posted on here....

Microsoft Actually Pays Nokia To Use Windows Phone 7

Posted: 14 Feb 2011 07:46 AM PST

Ever wondered why Nokia decided to go with Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 platform rather than Android? Maybe it has something to do with that Microsoft will be shelling out billions of bucks to get Windows Phone 7 adopted by Nokia.

According to an article over on Apple Insider by way of The Seattle TImes, during MWC 2011, Nokia boss Stephen Elop admitted that Microsoft is handing over billions to make the switch to Windows Phone after Nokia stock fell 14% when the partnership was announced.

Apparently Elop stated that the payments from Microsoft are to acknowledge the “substantial value to contribute” that Nokia will bring to Microsoft, and that Nokia will still pay royalties for using Windows Phone 7 as standard practice.

Apparently Elop was asked if he was a “Trojan horse” meaning Elop was an ex-Microsoft employee who joined Nokia to steer them towards Windows Phone 7, to which Elop answered “The obvious answer is ‘No’ Thanks for asking.”

There have been claims that Google pay smartphone makers to use the Android platform but thus far no figures of such a deal have shown up.

So perhaps the real reason behind Nokia going with Windows Phone 7 over Android was simply because Microsoft offered more cash? What are our reader’s views on this matter?

Might be getting closer to the truth.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
MMmm
Nov 2007 stock price => $40
the day Elop arrived => $10

Nokia's previous strategy destroyed 75% of the corporate value in 3 years placing it back to 1998 levels.

Another 1-2 years of the old Symbian course would have dropped the price to low digits. The old people/strategy were destroying the company
Let's do the math there, shall we? Three years, 75% drop. That's 25% per year, so approx. 25% per 365 days. 5% per 73 days, and I don't feel like mentally doing the math lower than that. But the point is, you're using a big sounding number over a relatively short sounding time span, which has this wonderful effect of sounding like it actually makes your point, while it actually doesn't. Human brain is funny like that.

This is the same three years in which iPhones and Android phones came out in bulk. Yes Nokia stock was falling, but stock value is so delicately effected by so many factors, that simply saying: Stock dropped x% over y years so obviously what they were doing sucked - no, it means what they were doing wasn't as good as what others were doing, or was perceived as such. Any long-term fix also takes a long time to show itself in stock prices, which is what MeeGo development was - you weren't going to see that strategy reflecting in stocks until at least a couple of weeks after the first MeeGo handsets rolled out, or advertisements for them were turning heads, etc.

But this is a drop of 20-something percent in two days, at the time that was quoted. Wanna try stretching that rate over 3 years? Or better yet, wanna try and find me another similar head-first dive in their stock in the last two years? Not the steady decrease as people migrate out, but this plummeting?

Even if we take your logic and move it down to dollar amounts, 30 dollars per stock lost in 3 years, so -10 in one year, -$1 every 36.5 days or so. Against, what, about two dollars lost in two days?

Nokia's stock lowering in the last three years no doubt had to do with what their strategies were, two-three years ago. But in case you hadn't noticed, they actually were modifying their strategies as time went on, especially towards the end. OPK was at worst half-responsible for those drops, the guy before him, in how he split up departments, equally so, if you want to look at the long-term. I don't think the strategy they were on when Elop came in was actually ideal - far from it - but it was not the same strategy that lost them their stock prices.

The board'/stockholders'/Elop'/whoevers'(s) decision to bend over for Microsoft (while Microsoft gives them the reach-around - at least there's that, and it's not completely one-sided) was not a decision made from truly understanding the strategies employed or their long term gain - it was a decision made by panicking people who were out of their comfort zone with all this open source stuff around them - people who didn't understand it or the economic advantages of something that isn't proprietary and making profits directly, and whose understanding of customer loyalty amounts to "are they giving us money?", not actual human sentiments like trust, being treated/supported well, having your desires/preferences actually met, even when they don't have to be for you to buy something, and agreeing with the direction of the company you buy from.

"Are they giving us money" can approximate those factors, but it is at best only that - an approximation - and failure to understand that leads to both the initial strategy problems that perfect-stormed into Nokia's stock losses the last three years, and to this little response to EloBalmer's announcement, because if it's the only thing you see, you will fail to consider the things being approximated, which is where success and profits ultimately lie in the long-term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: