Active Topics

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Yes, I recommended the Android phone because it' brand new, has a larger screen and costs 200euro unlocked.

My N900 is now 18 months old and there's nothing out right now that compares to it. It is truly a little computer but it has limitations. You won't be getting all the new hyped up apps and games that other platforms are getting. If the limitations don't scare you, you'll be fine with it.
I don't mind to pay some money more if I have a lot more in return. Still I am not in condition to buy a new device every year, 'cause I have to save money for my family, so I am so happy to have opportunity to ask to this community. I'm not looking for a thousand of stupid applications or light and sounds. I am looking for a stable and useful device. I'm here trying to figure out how important could be these limitations.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Even better :-)
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
The N900 is a little high-tech small computer linux gadget.
It is not really a mobile phone, but offers almost all You are looking for.
Came from N95 (almost perfect), N97 (worst phone) and N900.
I love it, but see it as pocket computer. But You should like Linux and have some knowledge or desire to learn.
Otherwise maybe an Android would be better.
Just my personal statement, as dis- and advantages have been mentioned.
Well, I used windows, and used linux years ago. I remember something, but never been a guru. I'm on macintosh at work and home and can use terminal sometimes, but, I tend to use the computer for making things more then have fun with the system itself. I imagine I am not scared at all from n900 is a linux box.

Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
Hi Anjin,

I would highly recommend a Nokia N900 any day. I wouldn't worry about lack of support or what Microsoft are going to do in the future. The N900 runs on an open source operating system called Maemo. If you frequent this forum enough times you will realize the N900 is well supported by the maemo community and you should not have a problem with it.
I'm not worry about lack from community, I have been lurking a lot in this forum, (from when it had the blue theme from n810?). I'm more worry about lack from nokia, 'cause, if I am not wrong, n900 has some important closed parts, especially in telephone use. Anyway I am sure that it's not something I am not living without.

The Nokia N900 is not your every day locked device. There is so much more you can do with it.

For example, you mentioned you haven't tried Android, well If you want to try out the latest from Android (Froyo 2.2), you can download and install NITDroid or Gingerbread. They are Android ports that work on the N900 and give you the experience no other Smartphones can possibly match it.
This could be really more interesting, 'cause it could give opportunity to use features that just only one system doesn't have. Anyway, like said before, I'm more interested in what I have to do with the device, than having fun with the system itself. I'd like to have time for everything, but I know that my spare time is limited.

Speed - You worried about the speed of the N900. Don't be! By default it runs at 600MHz, but wait, it's open source and not locked down like other phones are... so there are tutorials on this forum and elsewhere explaining how you can download scripts to overclock your N900 run at 700MHz, 800MHZ, 850MHz and even 1GHz... There are tutorials and scripts that tell you how to run your N900 more efficiently with less power options, so that your battery lasts longer and runs more efficiently.
Good, now I can say that the power of n900 should be ok still for some time.

Screens, The N900 is not locked down like most Nokia phones. On the N900 you can add widgets on any of the four screens in any location. You can link contacts, or web sites, or applications directly on the desktop. Each desktop can have a unique background or you can have one big scrollable screen. But wait, what if you want more than 4 screens, or what if you want up to 9 screens, well on the N900 you can do it easily. Again there are applications that you can download and install that give you this ability to add more screens. There are some great applications available in the repositories. Thousands of applications, so don't believe people when they say Nokia doesn't have a great application library. If you are only looking at Nokia's OVI store then yes, OVI is somewhat limited, but there are lots of repositories where you can download software from and the possibilities are endless.
Yes, I surfed in a big thread where I saw a lot of screenshot from users' screens and yes, n900 homescreen is impressive.

Talking about the screen I am more worry about the screen itself. I had a resistive touchscreen and it finished scratched. I am quite satisfied from x6 capacitive screen. More for the strength and resistance then for precision. Naturally I know the difference from two kind of touchscreen, but I am happy to don't have to use a protective film; what's about the screen of n900?

Modding - If you want to modify the theme or add transitions, or hack the taskbar, everything is possible with the N900.

Video
- The N900 can handle everything. If you are into video, there is no need to convert your videos into a format that the N900 can play... No need, because the N900 plays all formats in any size. I regularly download DIVX/XVid, WMV, Mov etc and play them through media player or other 3rd party applications. You are not tied down to one media player. There are loads of options from the open source community.

Music - again plenty of file formats are supported without having to even download extra codecs.
Happy to read it, it's nice to know that finally I could just put my media files on the device and just play them!

Browsing the internet is one of the best experiences on a N900. You can have real browsers loading the full website. You not just limited to the default browser. oh no, there is firefox and Opera and Chronium and a few more in the download section.

Multi-Tasking is the N900's strongest point. You can open a lot of applications at the same time and switch between them with ease.
great! It should be normal nowadays, but everybody knows that it's very difficult to find it in a mobile (yes, I know it's a little computer before then a mobile)

It has a great 5MP camera and it's easy to take photos and then send them via bluetooth, email, sms or any other service such as Flickr, google, facebook etc.
I'm pretty happy with the camera of x6, still I almost don't use it. But everyone is happy to have a "decent" digicam in the pocket.

The Physical keyboard is awesome as well and very much like a real keyboard offering all the usual shortcuts. If you write a lot, twitter, email and SMS, then you'll have no problem with this keyboard.
Good, other users are not so happy with the keyboard, I really have to give it a try.

The GPS is one of the best in all smartphones, and OVI maps is completely free, but you are not forced to use just one map application. There are loads to choose from. I prefer Sygic as it's been written for the N900 and works brilliantly.

Twitter applications, well there is Tweego, Twimgo to name just two that work really well. The N900 supports a dozen or so IM clients, which can be rolled into one and accessed from the main chat window. Did I mention SKYPE, which comes built in on the N900, so you can make free VOIP calls.

It's got all the usual bells and whistles that other smartphones have (Bluetooth, WIFI, even an Infra Red port so you can control your TV or Xbox or playstation).
good, it seems that I am not losing anything from symbian (and I should have a lot to gain...)

There is a 32GB hard drive built in, which is more than enough storage and of course if it isn't, then you can still use SDHC cards to extend the storage to 48GB.

I could go on and on and on, but I think I have said enough.

You mentioned a few other devices with keyboards... Motorola Milestone 1/2, HTC Desire Z, there will soon be the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro... They are all good looking, practical Smartphones, but none of them are open source or a like for like of the N900.
Thank you. You really explained a lot and it seems you are really enthusiast of the device. So you are not worry about the future of maemo (or the mythical meego?)

--
Anjin

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Finland
You should buy it. i had a symbian phone before and i hate symbian now. n900 i like a laptop in your pocket, what more can you need? also it can be used as a phone, navigator, hammer(i wouldn't rocomment it though), works even in -30 degrees of celcius(tried it) and you get tons of free apps for it and a great community to share your problems and opinions. It sure does have few things that are worth knowing for example: at first when i got mine, it seemed wery confusing and i didn't know how to use it. the screen scratches wery easily so you should buy a screen protector too. Opera was wery good on symbian but on maemo i prefer the browser witch came with the phone. harware keyboard is really nice but takes some time to get used to it.

so:
+big screen
+along with the divice came a video cable, spare stylus, headphones with spare earthingys(i dont know the english word for them )
+flash support
+MULTITASKING
+GPS
+physical keyboard
+built in skype and some other IM services(messenger etc.)
+can handle cold and snowy weather
+withstands humidity as well (it is not made to be weather resistant but it does work after dropping in snow or using it in rain)
+disk space
+videos doesnt need to be converted to specific format, just put a movie in your phone and watch it
-poor battery life when multitasking all day (there are few threads found here about that)
-no one has a charger that fits in N900 if you leave yours home
-i've heard nokia doesn't make these anymore
-internet in bed (I should be sleeping instead of writing this post)

Buy it, you will love it.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
@ Anjin

Just buy the bloody thing already.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
@ MyNokiaN900

I noticed on one of your screenshots on your site that you live in Greenhite. Heh, I'm just down the road from you in Gravesend.

Funnily enough, I looked at a flat for sale today in Greenhite because I work just round the corner on Crossways Boulevard.

Small world! Great site by the way.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hell yes... buy three.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Some fag tagged this thread 'hell no'. Probably too scared to post their criticism in this thread.

Was that you?

Was my initial thought for addressing this post. But upon refelection I believe I'll ask you to keep your derogatory name calling to yourself. Not everyone on this forum is 13 years old and thinks that is an appropriate way to reference a person.

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by anjin View Post
1) note/texts: I used to write short stories, article and so on on my sonyth55, but since I have the x6 it's almost impossible to write long texts, 'cause I find very annoying to see so few lines of text when the virtual keyboard is on screen. I Write almost exclusively on subway and on bus, while I go or come back from job.
Personally, I can't get over the fact that I'm using the exact same Vim text editor on my N900 that I use for all my work on my desktop machines. Not a crippled version, or an app that kind of looks like Vim, but the real deal. That, along with the fact that I can squeeze 80 columns of text onto the screen and still read it easily, means I can work with serious documents and source code files without any trouble.

I'm certainly writing more with my N900 that I'd ever expected I would with a cell-phone-sized device.

5) Connection with my mac. I like I can use it like a mass memory with just the usb cable, but I'd like a simple native way to browse my macintosh with wifi. (I can do it with bluetooth with a third part application)
I'm not sure there's a much simpler way than to use the usb cable. Also, I connect to my Mac over bluetooth without needing any third party applications; that works quite simply as well.

I am a little worry for the future of the device (especially now with Nokia and Microsoft last events). I read the forum the last weeks but I'd like some opinions and advices.
Well, odds are the N900 will pretty much be the last of its kind to come out of Nokia. Android phones really don't give you the same kind of options you have with Maemo (unless you hack them to do so), and of course iOS and WP7 are essentially useless except as containers for pointless little apps. (Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but my previous phone was an iPhone; I enjoyed playing with it for a while after I got it, but eventually I just ended up doing nothing more with it than answering phone calls. I just don't have time to sit and watch teensy tiny pretty little apps doing teensy tiny pointless little things.)

In short, the future may look bleak for the N900, but there's not a lot of competing products that can do what it does. I think it's still worth far more than the competitors.

Tags
bada rox, bada rulez, hell no, just shoot me, pros and cons