Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
- GSoC students ?
Good point. There are 10. Something for the content committee: should any GSoC student attending be expected to give a session on their project? Should there be a single (perhaps a double-session) on GSoC where the process can be discussed, projects can be demoed and students give their thoughts?

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
  • Anyone with karma > 555 coming from outside the EU.
  • Anyone with karma > 375.
ITYM anyone in the top 30 & 60 respectively (the actual karma score thresholds will probably have shifted by decision time). Also, I'm not sure the geographical restriction in the first one is a good thing: it would be a shame to lose any of the EU people in the top 30 if they can't afford the trip.

(Disclaimer: not applying for sponsorship so no vested interest apart from getting the most out of the summit).

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Good point. There are 10. Something for the content committee: should any GSoC student attending be expected to give a session on their project? Should there be a single (perhaps a double-session) on GSoC where the process can be discussed, projects can be demoed and students give their thoughts?
Certainly if they are sponsored they should give a presentation, but it shouldn't be mandatory if they just turn up (i.e. without sponsorship) (too much pressure if they think that if they come they must stand up and talk!). Then again I'm sure they will all want to give presentations no matter what.

Last edited by lardman; 2009-07-29 at 08:52. Reason: Edited for clarity

Originally Posted by lma View Post
ITYM anyone in the top 30 & 60 respectively (the actual karma score thresholds will probably have shifted by decision time).
Good point.

Also, I'm not sure the geographical restriction in the first one is a good thing: it would be a shame to lose any of the EU people in the top 30 if they can't afford the trip.
One could even argue that the top contributors should get sponsored no matter where they are, and it's the lower-level contributors which have to make some effort on their own part outside of the EU?

The thought here though is that the "top 60" would pick up any of the "top 30" inside the EU if we haven't run out of budget. This allows the prioritisation of the budget in the most fair and equitable way to try to ensure that the top contributors outside of the EU get a better chance of getting sponsorship.

Perhaps there should be a penultimate block of 20 (say) decided arbitrarily by the council? How many people were sponsored last year?
I counted 51 sponsored from http://maemo.org/news/events/archive...mo_summit-001/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Initial proposal, depending on budget and so on; probably in order of priority:
  1. Anyone speaking in a "proper" session.
  2. Anyone with karma > 555 coming from outside the EU.
  3. 5 Mer slots for Stskeeps and anyone else he wants.
  4. The current (at the time) community council, and the maemo.org gang-of-four.
  5. The top 10 people on tmo on thanksosts ratio, where posts > 300.
  6. The top 10 app authors, based on downloads.
  7. Anyone with karma > 375.
  8. Any previous council members.
  9. Anyone speaking in two or more lightning sessions.
  10. Any remaining, based on karma.
Almost perfect , some suggestions (pointing for 50 sponsored participants):
  1. Anyone speaking in a "proper" session.
  2. Top 25-40 karma holders (managed according the requests from outside EU) .
  3. 3-5 Mer slots for Stskeeps and anyone else he wants (managed according the requests from outside EU).
  4. The current (at the time) community council, and the maemo.org gang-of-four.
  5. Top app authors, based on downloads & Fremantle stars.
  6. Any previous council members.
  7. Anyone speaking in two or more lightning sessions.
  8. 5-10 slots for community upstream contributors & bloggers & GSoC students
  9. Any previous council members.
  10. The top 10 people on tmo on thanks: posts ratio, where posts > 300.
  11. Any remaining, based on karma.

Also the council should take into account the karma value, IMO karma from applications&bugs is more valuable for the community than karma from tmo posts for e.g.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Certainly if they are sponsored they should give a presentation, but it shouldn't be mandatory if they just turn up (too much pressure). Then again I'm sure they will all want to give presentations no matter what.
Agree, perhaps a LT for each project, if they want, expecting that we will not have the 10 students presenting

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Another consideration: developers with proven Fremantle interest (e.g. interesting stuff in extras).

Also a consideration on big karma holders currently active, as opposed to those that made merits more than a year ago and since then...

I mean, sponsoring participants is a big chunk of the budget. Such investment should have a direct impact in the success of the Summit (good speakers, inspirational contributors, great promoters, efficient volunteers...) and/or Maemo 5 (great software developers, mainly).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Another consideration: developers with proven Fremantle interest (e.g. interesting stuff in extras).
True. But things like "interesting" and VDVsx's suggestion of "[top karma people] managing people outside EU" is the time taken to decide each case on its merit.

I'd rather have rules for the majority and then a pot of sponsorship reserved for any outliers: it removes any bias from the system (assuming enough people are happy with the rules); and eases the workload.

Also a consideration on big karma holders currently active, as opposed to those that made merits more than a year ago and since then...
I'm still an advocate of decaying karma (the same rationale would apply to any device programme), but there seems to have been little interest in implementing it.

I mean, sponsoring participants is a big chunk of the budget. Such investment should have a direct impact in the success of the Summit (good speakers, inspirational contributors, great promoters, efficient volunteers...) and/or Maemo 5 (great software developers, mainly).
Absolutely. Are we aiming for a similar number to last year (assuming they were statistically significant in terms of travel), a few more, ...?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Well... When each decision implies and expense of 300 to 1000 (rough averages for EU and America) you end up looking case by case no matter what. I understood your points as general guidelines, not strict rules to be applied automatically.

Yes, it's a lot of work. I don't recommend to have the whole council or many people in the decision because then the work gets multiplied with not much differences in the end result. 2-3 is ok. I volunteer to be one of them, mostly based on my experience triaging requests in previous events.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
summit