Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
AMD has nothing to loose on this. In fact both Intel and AMD will gain. Nokia too, but not until they get those devices out there. And don't mess up the UX with over-complicated nonsense that means nothing in the end, but drain recourses and ads months/years to the release schedules, like SE did with Android.

MeeGo is the savior for all hardware manufacturers, but it could still fail if they take too long time executing it.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Don't neglect the fact that AMD has ATI which produces the only decent graphics cards (i.e. not Intel's) with working opensource drivers for Linux. That's a very strong plus for notebooks and perhaps for tablets since they properly support latest kernel and Xorg's technologies and power management.

ATi is the leader in low-power consuming graphics, midrange graphics and also in the hipower graphics. It also offers more competitive prices.

Intel provides the best processors when it comes to low power, midrange and also the hipower range but it is usually the pricey choice.

Join the best of both to get a compelling tablet/netbook/mobile computer !

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-11-25 at 05:44.

Originally Posted by m0da View Post
MeeGo is x86-friendly, which means AMD can have some fun too.
I wonder whether AMD will decide to follow the "Atom" architecture (x86 with SSSE3), or do it properly and roll out an x86_64 one.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I wonder whether AMD will decide to follow the "Atom" architecture (x86 with SSSE3), or do it properly and roll out an x86_64 one.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...hitecture.html

The first, it seems like
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

I think "x86" is used in the generic sense in that article and AMD's PR in general :- /

Various other sources indicate that bobcat will support long mode, the question is whether they'll want MeeGo to take full advantage of that.

EDIT: this slide is quite unambiguous - "AMD64 64-bit ISA".

Even most Atom chips today (eg the ones given away in Dublin) are 64bit chips really, and Intel has previously stated they plan to move to a 64bit kernel which implies dropping support for the older IA32-only chips. Why they insist on 32bit userland is a mystery to me, I hope it's not just because of a few binary blobs from Adobe.

Last edited by lma; 2010-11-21 at 10:32.

In speculation and reply to my previous comment.

I'd think MeeGo or Windows7 (skinned + optimized) on a tablet would be the best (in x86 form) if they used these:

basics) Z560 + BroadcommHD = 9.1hrs average battery life with 5,000mAh/4-cell unit.

light tasks) SU3500 + ATi HD4330 = 7.3hrs average battery life with 5,000mAh/4-cell unit.

full featured) i7 640-UM + ATi HD5650 = 5.2hrs average battery life with 5,000mAh/4-cell unit.