I've stopped working on it as my free time has been completely eaten up. There is a chance that I will resume my efforts with kde4.1 when I have more time later this spring or during the summer. (June at the3 latest). I am still very interested in having KDE4 on my N800 and I think that with some tweaking plasma could work very well for the environment and small screen.

Sorry if you were anxiously awaiting anything soon =/. I also am using kde4 (compiled from svn with the excellent kdesvn-build tool) and find it very comfortable and fun to work with.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolf08 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RaTm View Post
It would be so great to have KDE4 on the IT...
KDE 3.5.X is so slow and i think, that KDE4 will run faster.
Wouldn't it be possible to install KDE4 to the integrated 256mb flash memory!?
And/or a full replace of hildon... !?!?
I don't think it'd be possible to install KDE4 to the integrated 256 flash memory. To small of a space for KDE.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

On the subject of KDE, is there any real, complete solution for RealPlayer? Meaning, comprehensive support as in plugins, links open it when necessary, etc.

Any help with regards to do this would help immensely. Thanks alot.

Looks insteresting.

On the PC Desktop side, I installed KDE 4.0 - Kubuntu and it was so weak, I downgraded all except Konqueror and Amarok to gnome again.

I don't think KDE 4 was really ready to release.

Nice work on porting what you have so far though!

Keep up the good work on the port of KDE 4 for Nokia tablets. If you can make it a simple install process like penguinbait did, you will have a huge following. Penguinbait's thread has over 45,000 views! So there is an interest for sure.

Last edited by migs; 2008-04-18 at 00:03.

Hello!

I've been trying to compile KDE 4 in Scratchbox. QT has gotten build along with all the other dependencies, but when I start on Kdelibs, I get this error after I run cmakekde (this is at the very end of the text):

-- Configuring done
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Then I try:

[sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/kde/build/KDE/kdelibs] > make
bash: makeobj: command not found

Then point it to the scripts I downloaded:

[sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/kde/build/KDE/kdelibs] > PATH=$PATH:/home/ty/scripts

Make again:

[sbox-CHINOOK_ARMEL: ~/kde/build/KDE/kdelibs] > make
no objdir found. Tried /home/ty/kde/build/KDE/kdelibs

I have tried this with builds from the trunk and stable, but all have given the exact same results. Is there anything special you did to compile KDE4? Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

I used kdesvn-build instead of the build scripts on techbase.kde.org. The build process kept failing for me though... seemingly on the qmake parts (which would indicate the arm emulation, because qmake runs as an arm binary). Does that help?

Yes, thanks for the info! I will try that out asap.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I have been using KDE4 on Kubuntu 8.0.4 and I must say, I think I like 3.5.8 way better. Although the network connection piece is really nice, it probably won't work on the tablet anyway, not with standard maemo under the covers anyway. FYI, I am working on KDE 4.0.3 also, but don't expect anything anytime soon from me.

pb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Good to see that we have a bunch of people working on it. Does anyone else have any clue why qmake is hanging for me? I have determined that it is qmake, but I can't seem to have any reliable way of making it fail other than running a cmake build for a long time.

Is there any way to specifically use an x86 qmake? Does it even make sense?

Tags
kde, kde 4.2, kde4