Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by supergadgetman View Post
$ free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 126828 124780 2048 0 752
Swap: 980888 9940 970948
Total: 1107716 134720 972996
~ $

Here is what xterm says. looks like i have a 1 gb swap file? So no need to enable virtual memory in control panel??

The whole process was pretty painless. so much easier than doing it manually like i originally did a few months back.
Yup 1GB swap, working, sweet.

I may create another clone script with some ability to specify sizes for partitions. So you do not have to give so much space for swap. Also people like to control the FAT sizes too.

But its definetly the quickest and easiest way to clone your system right now.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Yup 1GB swap, working, sweet.

I may create another clone script with some ability to specify sizes for partitions. So you do not have to give so much space for swap. Also people like to control the FAT sizes too.

But its definetly the quickest and easiest way to clone your system right now.
I would officially like to request the ability to control FAT/ext2 sizes. The main reason I would want to even do all the work for a KDE update is because I was wanting to resize my ext2 partition at the same time. I don't use the FAT at all.

It will be a lot of work for me to upgrade from KDE v2 -> v3 not because of the installation process but because of the tons of customization (hotkeys, desktops, shortcuts, window sizing etc..) that I've done with my existing KDE. Without the added bonus of more ext2 (for installing more apps) I'm not sure it is worth the work.

So sorry PenquinBait. I know you've worked very hard on this and I don't mean to offend you in any way. I'm just being honest about why I haven't jumped in just yet.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
I would officially like to request the ability to control FAT/ext2 sizes. The main reason I would want to even do all the work for a KDE update is because I was wanting to resize my ext2 partition at the same time. I don't use the FAT at all.

It will be a lot of work for me to upgrade from KDE v2 -> v3 not because of the installation process but because of the tons of customization (hotkeys, desktops, shortcuts, window sizing etc..) that I've done with my existing KDE. Without the added bonus of more ext2 (for installing more apps) I'm not sure it is worth the work.

So sorry PenquinBait. I know you've worked very hard on this and I don't mean to offend you in any way. I'm just being honest about why I haven't jumped in just yet.
Seriously PCQ, I understand. Its much easier to take this plunge when new IT os comes out and you will be upgrading anyway.

Also, since your already running v2 from SD card. All you need to do is backup /home/user/.kde and untar SUPv3.tgz from root

tar czvf /home/user/dotkde.tgz /home/user/.kde

cd /
tar zxvf /home/user/SUPv3.tgz

If you dont like the outcome, you should be able to just move or delete your .kde and untar the original.

It will add all the software and script updates.

WARNING WARNING WARNING. As with your boot from KDE deb issue. It may cause a problem which would then force you to upgrade or redo your system anyway.

So again I completely understand. You should just buy another SD card, clone to it and upgrade. Once you got everything working in new SD switch over.

Again this is money,

Anyway, please dont feel bad, again I truly appreciate your support..

Also, I will work on the new deb, give me a week or so.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-05-24 at 18:47.

Monitoring the install of kde-installer-v3 I notice that the main file, the Tarball, is KDE358v2.tar.bz2? Is this just a case of not renaiming it for simplicity and it is in fact v3?

I also lost my wifi connection during the install and then regained connection... its still seems to be working, which is nice, but geeze it is slow. I that your hosting again?

Now just need you to work your wonders with the "DEB to make your system boot from SD
" so it has two bootable drives on an 8 meg card. Then we can have one for KDE and one for debian. This would be super cool

Ta

Last edited by Westy; 2008-05-26 at 20:00.

Hi,
I'm reistalling KDE after the update to Diablo.
I downloaded the deb and the installation start, but when I controled the size of the 300MB file, I noted that the file didn't exist...
I suppose that the deb can't download the file from the server... why? can I download the file manually and put in the correct directory?

Thanks for the answer

Originally Posted by manfredi90 View Post
Hi,
I'm reistalling KDE after the update to Diablo.
I downloaded the deb and the installation start, but when I controled the size of the 300MB file, I noted that the file didn't exist...
I suppose that the deb can't download the file from the server... why? can I download the file manually and put in the correct directory?

Thanks for the answer
Mine worked perfectly??

Try again?

The 300 mb file is downloaded, untarred and deleted and then another files is downloaded and installed and deleted.

I tryed againg, but nothing...
The program doesn't download the KDE file... I controlled the directory fram browser and terminal, and I controlled the file sistem space with the control pannel, but after 20 minutes the file doesn't appear and the free space is the same (1,29 GB).
The last time that I installed KDE with the same file I controlled the 300MB file size with the browser without problem...
Can you send me the link of the 300MB file? with this I can test If is a connection problem...

Originally Posted by manfredi90 View Post
I tryed againg, but nothing...
The program doesn't download the KDE file... I controlled the directory fram browser and terminal, and I controlled the file sistem space with the control pannel, but after 20 minutes the file doesn't appear and the free space is the same (1,29 GB).
The last time that I installed KDE with the same file I controlled the 300MB file size with the browser without problem...
Can you send me the link of the 300MB file? with this I can test If is a connection problem...
What does this mean you controlled directory from browser and terminal?

Does the deb fail?

does the KDE file get created at all?

perhaps you can do an "ls" inside the dir and post so I can see whats happening?

I had the same issue as manfredi90 about the KDE358.tar.bz2 file not downloading after upgrading to Diablo, but after manually installing wget, it finally downloaded. However, it never untarred.

Originally Posted by D'ohboy View Post
I had the same issue as manfredi90 about the KDE358.tar.bz2 file not downloading after upgrading to Diablo, but after manually installing wget, it finally downloaded. However, it never untarred.
That makes no since, even if you installed wget it would make no difference. The installer has wget with it, and calls it from /root/kde-installer

I am running KDE with the installer on Diablo, installed last night and this morning wihtout issue?

BTW, I am hoping to put out an update to v3 today, just some small fixes.

Tags
kde, kde35, koffice