Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Friends, my purpose is not to demand anything from the Maemo community. If they do not want to transition to N9 there is nothing we can do about it. I just want to point out that the N9 is in danger due to very haphazard growth of the app store. Only massive sale of N9 can save the Harmattan platform now and for this to happen users expect to have some essential apps. Smartphone users are not a patient lot as there are so many alternatives now. I'm not demanding anything, I'm only hoping the Maemo community pitch in to help with their expertise and apps which can be ported over. Otherwise Elop will have an easy victory.
I think you must've actually stopped searching for what's out there.
Do you actually know all the places to look for what's around?

IME I'm seeing a very handy array of apps constantly coming out.
Enough to keep me occupied until I realise I want something else.

It's certainly better than the N900 was this early in it's life-cycle.
Did you actually own/use a N900 heavily?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-27 at 09:20.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
OFFTOPIC: does the N9 have a community repo like Extras/Testing/Devel? Or do we have to rely on Ovi and other web-based app stores?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
apps.formeego.org
Still in testing but it'll follow the same formula that was done with maemo community apps.
Folks can help test for an apps QA, before the app is finally migrated to stable etc.

http://apps.formeego.org/staging/app.../meepasswords/
http://apps.formeego.org/staging/app.../Office/qtodo/
http://wiki.meego.com/MeeGo_Apps/Community_QA

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-11-27 at 09:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Yes, but in a time of two years. The N9 has been on sale for about a month now.

Is it limited in supply? Given you're in a supported country, you can just walk into a phone store, and get a subsidized N9 with contract. That was hardly possible with the N900, which was mostly only available in online stores.
In unsupported countries, the N9 can be bought in online stores. So, actually the supply situation is IMHO better than it was with the N900.

This remains to be seen.

The N900 started at 650 € as well. Prices are already falling as with most smartphones after a few weeks on sale.
Here not even one carrier is selling the n9, mind you. It is only sold through other partners, so it's rather expensive. It is, actually, only cheaper than the Galaxy S2 (since iPhone 4S isn't available yet).

The rumor about the number of units sold has been squashed, IMO, but the n900 had fairly good in number of units sold. We can be sure it sold more than 100k in 5 weeks (source http://www.phonearena.com/news/10000...-weeks_id11565)

The n9 probably took this long to produce this amount.

And at least you can be sure that supply is pretty good around here, Nokia stores and other retailers seen to have then in supply all the time. But at about U$900 it should be on the shelves

The N900 was an experimental product and Nokia never aimed it as a mass market product. Although Nokia doesn't share sales figures I think it would be fair to say that the N9 will exceed sales of N900 by far. There are probably more N9s out there now than N900s. I say this because I can see N9s in the hands of ordinary users and even those getting their first smartphone but the owner of a N900 is almost always a knowledgeable geek or power user.

Practically all N900 developers gave their apps away for free. This is probably because there was little potential to commercialize their apps due to the small installed base. However the situation has changed as the N9 is a true mass market product. Hence N9 developers should not think they have to give away their apps for free. They are fully entitled to charge for their apps which now have commercial potential.

As many N900 apps can be ported to N9 without much difficulty this is a good incentive for developers to earn some money from their previous effort. As the app pool is still small, their app may be the only one of its kind in the store and hence likely to sell well. Most N9 developers have to buy their own device except for those lucky enough to get a free N950 so they should be entitled to recoup their investment.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
The N9 which was depending on this community’s support for a kickstart in life, to sell massively and gain a foothold.
This is not only literally incorrect, but so misstates the relationship between N9 and this community for the last six months that I think a clarification is in order.

Prior to 2/11, there was indeed a relationship where this community was depended on to support the N900. And this community supported it (and continues to support it) quite well. But with the N9 Nokia stepped away. It made virtually no outreach to this community prior to the N9 launch - the circumstances at the time, including Nokia's preference to turn the corner with MeeGo were summarized in Council's May blog posting .

When the N9 was formally announced, Council decided that the N9/950 sub-forum should be added in order to keep the forum organized. I don't think this has been mentioned before, but before the sub-forum was put up, we were asked to reconsider our decision so that N9 discussions could occur elsewhere, although the Nokia representative on hand was deferential to Council's decision. So N9 did not depend on the maemo community, but in that small instance we were asked to step back in lieu of the MeeGo community. Of course, there were ample other indications after the N9 announcement related to MeeGo that they need not be referenced.

Then, after MeeGo refused to host third party open-source community apps for N9 (and other MeeGo devices), N9 did not turn to, much less depend on, the Maemo community to address this issue. Instead Nokia supported another newly created site to do so. Overtures from me addressing the fragmentation of the community did not change that decision.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Nokia decided to put the bug tracker for N9 at developer.nokia.com. There was no discussion with maemo.org wrt bug tracker.

So I hope this sets the record straight for anyone who might read this thread. That said, please continue to provide comments and suggestions on if and how Harmattan, particularly the open mode issues, should be addressed in this community.

Last edited by SD69; 2011-11-28 at 19:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
thanks for the clarification. so this means that maemo.org is not really the place for the N9, from Nokia's POV. but how about the community?
i really had myself convinced that MeeGo-Harmattan (the N9's OS) is Maemo6 and i was hoping that if we embrace MeeGo-Harmattan and the N9 userbase, we could somehow gain back Nokia's support. i was intentionally pointing N9 users from the Philippines to check out TMO because the devs here are also working on apps for the N9 though the real motive was to try to increase the community's population so Nokia would notice N9-related activity and somehow reconsider their budget decisions. i did believe that i was not spreading misinformation, now i'm in doubt.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Only massive sale of N9 can save the Harmattan platform now
nope, if WP would vanish overnight from the world leaving zero codebase left, that could save harmattan...

yeah, right
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
thanks for the clarification. so this means that maemo.org is not really the place for the N9, from Nokia's POV. but how about the community?
i really had myself convinced that MeeGo-Harmattan (the N9's OS) is Maemo6 and i was hoping that if we embrace MeeGo-Harmattan and the N9 userbase, we could somehow gain back Nokia's support. i was intentionally pointing N9 users from the Philippines to check out TMO because the devs here are also working on apps for the N9 though the real motive was to try to increase the community's population so Nokia would notice N9-related activity and somehow reconsider their budget decisions. i did believe that i was not spreading misinformation, now i'm in doubt.
Well, maemo.org was not the place for the N9 from Nokia POV in the past. The circumstances have changed again with MeeGo shutting down. So there is the question of embracing Harmattan now.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
i see no reason why we, the community, shouldn't.
so, how about a group hug? hehe