Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
hi all....
from what im reading the OP is new to symbian (am i correct?)
i do not own the E7 so my following comments are based SOLELY on
previous experiences with symbian (and a few hours using the new "Anna" software)
with regards to the OP stating that symbian isnt free...i tend to disagree...with the right amount of searching....symbian is quite free...with numerous tips tricks and hacks...lets make it a bit relative...such things as the power kernel maemodder etc that evolve the n900...there are similar entities for symbian...
once before i used to say (as a symbian user) google is my app store (no cheeky comments about that irony) but realistically they are so many apps/themes etc available that have not and probably will not make it to the ovi store (try www.reddodo.com) to see live wallpapers for example...
now the idea im getting from the OP is that he prefers the ease of use of the E7?
so my question to you is "is symbian a viable OS in this day?
as your only "complaint" seems to be the fact that the OS isnt as user friendly *read pretty* as others?
how does it compare to other os's (minus maemo) that you have used?
lastly i do really appreciate your review and i found it surprizing someone not slating off symbian for a change...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Let me say right here, you're going to hear a lot of I "don't know"s. It's a new OS, an even newer phone, and somewhat expensive. Not many people have tried what you ask.
Perfect |:)

- How is multitask compared between the two? How many windows can I open of different programs? Can they keep working in background?

I opened 10, no major issues. Not all DO something in the background, e.g. Contacts just sits there. I added some info on the post above, did you go though it, or just the main post(s)?
I meant, as in sometimes I open kmplayer and keep listening to the thing in background while navigating. I wonder if e7 would do that. After I posted you had posted while I was typing. As I had seen the previous post, I thought that was that, but edited.

- Does it have any form of game gripper?
I don't know. All games that are button-like take advantage of multitouch to do their thing. Some do it well, in the sense that it has a 360 joy by dragging, with 2 stages of pointing (walk, run), that seems superior to normal game hardware.

I am not a gamer, though, so I'm not used to buttons, thus more flexible. All games I tried thus far make use of touch and accelerometer.

As for your question, it's an accessory question. I just have the phone.
Fine with me, just that when O bought the n900 I have gone straight to the "game" accessories (Game Gripper+PS3 controller).

- Can I connect my ps3 control to the e7? Can I use it to play games?
How the he... Look, I don't know, I don't have a PS3, nor any other console. I do my gaming on the PC. I don't even know why you would want to use a PS3 to control an E7.

Do you mean a PS3 controller? If so, your issue is most likely software (If PS3 controllers use USB). In which case, ask for one or write one yourself.
Oh, that's bad.

- Can I multiboot it to something else? Or load anything else on it for that matter?
None has tried, it's a new phone. It was released in Feb 2011 in select countries. Mine has PR 1.1, compiled Mard 1st, and it came with it, so it's likely it only reached a wider market in April or even May. It's just new.

However, Meego has a shot, as there are people porting it to 10 other phones. Android is a possibility, it also runs on a lot of devices.

Still, may I ask: If you want an Android phone, why buy Symbian and ask for port? Buy an Android. They may even be cheaper. Though AFAICT, Symbian has way cooler games.
I needed something that had the same freedom of a computer, so I have gone through that. That's why I asked about the gamegripper - I can use my n900 that way anywhere anytime, for the things I already "have". I wanted a computer, not just a phone. I usually like to edit things using GIMP while on easy debian(but still on maemo). I edited my actual wallpaper on GIMP on my n900. But I meant something like multiboot into Ubuntu. That's what I meant.

Also, my skin, including my hands, are really sweaty. When I go play MTG I have to use surgical gloves to prevent card protectors from getting too sticky and making the shuffle impossible, while collecting all the dust in the table.

Thanks.

Last edited by Temporal; 2011-07-10 at 06:06.

Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
with regards to the OP stating that symbian isnt free...i tend to disagree...with the right amount of searching....symbian is quite free...with numerous tips tricks and hacks...lets make it a bit relative...
Being an ex-N95 user I can agree to a certain extent.

Part of the UI of the N95 onwards came from a little known out of house hack called KastorUI http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...0_platform.htm(video doesn't work, sadly.)
Nokia saw it, Nokia liked it, Nokia adopted it and began to roll it out gradually over devices.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's still in use on today's Nokias.

Youtube link to replace above video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3jz...eature=related.

I still haven't decided on which route to go with an upgrade, now that Western Europe have been left out in the cold WP7 world with the N9.

Last edited by stickymick; 2011-07-10 at 09:08.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I have almost no music on my N900, so the E7 has plenty of storage for me. I've never understood how people who pretend to be music or movie fans are so intent on playing them on miniscule devices that obviously can't do the media justice anyway.
I work away from home Monday to Friday all the time with no facilities to be a .FLAC loving Audiophile.

Covering thousands of miles. FM Transmitter, vehicle sound system, 3300 songs & Radio Podcasts from my local Station back at home, complete Discographies of my favourite groups, Shuffle.

Tiny device but it becomes something a lot larger thanks to the built in FM Transmitter and large onboard storage.

Invaluable to me. 64GB built in. I can't be done with all these USB Sticks hanging out of it.

That's my intent. 16GB gets kicked to the curb.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
come on guys, dont butcher the poor chap...

This community is like a bunch of islamist mullahs pouncing upon a woman who doesnt wear hijab, or a bunch of dark age christian priests pouncing on galileo...

appreciate if you can be tolerant of other ideas, and appreciate the plus points instead of just striking them down... otherwise there is no difference between idiots like you and the closed-minded-mullahs
I'm sure he won't take it personally. He didn't make the device with his bare hands after all.

It was a great review, no doubt. I read the whole thing. But it's ironic that you mention "Dark Age" in your post above because thats exactly what came to my mind when I heard it has 16GB onboard with NO expansion slot.

He was actually selling the device to me "tolerant of other ideas" until I heard the storage thing.

I can't lie and say "oh yeah, thats great".

Good review, I enjoyed it. I have no problem with Symbian as a phone OS, my old N95 is still going strong ever since I passed it onto my girlfriend. I had a go with N8 and E7 in the shops and watched plenty of reviews and could see myself owning one or the other...

...if only I didn't own and lived with the N900 for 19 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to philh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I'm sure he won't take it personally. He didn't make the device with his bare hands after all.

It was a great review, no doubt. I read the whole thing. But it's ironic that you mention "Dark Age" in your post above because thats exactly what came to my mind when I heard it has 16GB onboard with NO expansion slot.

He was actually selling the device to me "tolerant of other ideas" until I heard the storage thing.

I agree as well, it was a good review, but there are a number of things lacking in th E7 that would put a stop to me getting it. As JamesBond@ge has pointed out Storage is a big thing and the lack of it is a problem. I have my entire music collection + video downloads on my Nokia N900 and it does seem silly that Nokia chose to not equip the E7 with a sd card.

Another major factor for me is the lack of IR, I use this everyday to turn on /off TV in office (lost remote).

Is it as open as the N900?

Does it have extra screens like the N900 can have?

Ovi is not that impressive when it comes to applications.

Perhaps @womworldnokia could send me the Nokia E7 so I can do a review / comparison from the point of view of changing my mind on my Nokia N900 ;-)
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

Last edited by MyNokiaN900; 2011-07-10 at 10:49. Reason: extra thoughts

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Good, honest review IMO.
As far as hwkb handsets go, the E7, along with the Motorola Droid 3, present 2 viable options (Australia is pretty limited in the hwkb device area)
After trying Android (HTC Desire), I honestly would prefer to go (back) to symbian, in it's current iteration, having owned and loved a Nokia 5800 previously, however the things about the E7 that concern me (edof camera, limited storage/no microsd/card options) are things that the droid will sort out for me.....

dilemna dilemna (plus i still want the N9)

@OP: thanks for the info

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
I agree with most of what was said in this review. The one thing i see very differently is the default browser - N900 is a winner without contest, imo. (Opera is excellent on E7 though).

Oh, and the pdf reader on E7 is just atrocious (slow, wasteful of screen estate) compared to that of the N900's.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I'd have to chop off at least 2GB of my music collection to fit it on E7 and still have no room for Apps etc.
If your music database is that large, may I suggest you only take a part with you? You can't possibly go through 16GB of music in any reasonable time, you're just carrying it around. You have the option to lug a small stick around. After all, you could limit what you listen to while running to 16G?

I'm not being judgmental, I'm just saying - I have about 50G of music but I have an in-car DVD which is 75% full with a whole folder. I maintain a folder called "car" from which I add and remove music as I get tired or new songs are added. Every couple months, I burn a new one.

Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
@ndi: 1.) I only use ham for updates when the little yellow notification shows up and that's fairly quick.
I see you don't have -devel installed.

Please confirm that on the E7 you don't have to update it very frequently.
Not really, but there is no notification. A small number appears in the top right corner when navigating the store.

2.) Photo editing is possible on the N900, but both methods(ansela, gimp) I know are a bit slow. So you got a point there, though your first post said it can't be done on the N900. Can't find it now maybe you have editited it out.
It wasn't edited, it was split, check the bottom of the first post.

Also, gimp and ansela do not come with N900. I was reviewing phones side by side, and added software doesn't count. If it did, I'd be reviewing applications 'till the cows come home.

And I know I said N900 doesn't do editing because what N900 does cant be called editing.

I have also played around with a few symbian phones. X3 and 6 are awful(I mean the UI) N8 and E6 are quite nice, but I still like the N900 UI much more. N8 camera is the best I've seen on a mobile phone. Great pictures daytime, nighttime with flash or without.
N8 and E7 both have trouble at night - it makes sense from a physics standpoint and is visible. If you don't see it or are happy with it, good for you. But the noise is there.

Yet you wouldn't compare your PC to your home tel, would ya? It's just my opinion, but I understand that you had to include it in you review. Much appriciated.
You are right, however, this is basically an N900 community and if one wants to relay info there is no better way to do it but relate to N900.

Also, since N900 is solely or never replaced, many will move away from it and a comparative review will help others make an informed decision.

Like it says in the review, specs aren't everything.

hi all....
from what im reading the OP is new to symbian (am i correct?)
Actually, no. My devices stream was 8110, 7110, 7650(sym), 3650(sym), 7610(sym), N80(sym), N900(deb), E7(sym).

with regards to the OP stating that symbian isnt free
Where exactly did I state that Symbian isn't free?

I remember saying that OVI allows purchase of apps.

now the idea im getting from the OP is that he prefers the ease of use of the E7?
If you get an idea from the OP then it's the wrong one. I tried to do a presentation and a comparison so that everyone can draw their own conclusions. I let a few preferences slide, but they are all moot since I can't go back to N900 either way.

so my question to you is "is symbian a viable OS in this day?
<|,, 300 million people like that statement.

how does it compare to other os's (minus maemo) that you have used?
I think it's comparable to Android (but faster), worse looking than iOS (speed is not directly comparable as iOS doesn't multitask), worse looking and less features than M5 but way faster.

Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
I needed something that had the same freedom of a computer, so I have gone through that.
It does not, it will not. Symbian is a phone OS, designed from the ground up to work with limited resources and it shows. There is nothing computerish about it. Everything is phoneish. In a sense it's the inverse of Maemo. Thus the difference in apps and speed.

Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
But I meant something like multiboot into Ubuntu. That's what I meant.
Possible, but no definitive answer. It is likely it will never chroot, but it's likely it can boot to Android at some pint, possibly even MeeGo.

I work away from home Monday to Friday all the time with no facilities to be a .FLAC loving Audiophile.
If you are an audiophile, surely you can tell that the audio in a cramped, underpowered sound processor with little correction and processing is subpar to an MP3 played on a good multimedia PC?

To each his own, I have nothing against people with gold cables, I'm just saying that, as a long time computer expert and the kind of person that owns an oscilloscope and has lived off audio installations, you're wasting space.

Also, on the move, you're probably using small headphones. Don't get me started on those and those specs they publish.

That is a direct quote of what I was trying to say. And no, I'm not taking any of it personally. In fact, I kind of expected more of a resistance, lately we have a few people haunting TMO who should be wearing a cross on their chest and a broadsword.

It is definitely not great, but 16G rates as "sufficient" for a lot of people. Myself included.

It's not a lot, considering offline maps. And HD video. Did I say 16 is good? (scrolls back) Nope. Never said it.

Originally Posted by MyNokiaN900 View Post
I agree as well, it was a good review
Thanks.

- Is it as open as the N900?
Symbian is open. "as" open is not a measurement. All open programs can be compiled to S3 with relative ease, since it sports QT. CLI can also be compiled to work on Symbian, as could busybox or bash.

Are they? Don't know, don't really care. Like I said, there is no gconftool, no apt, etc. But with the introduction of QT and a keyboard device with amply CPU I'm sure people will start porting.

-Does it have extra screens like the N900 can have?
S3 has 3 desktops only AFAICT. There is implied in the docs that screens could be added and deleted, so it may have more at some point, but for now only 3. They slide like N900 (not continuously, though).

-Ovi is not that impressive when it comes to applications.
If that was a question, you'll need to reword it and include a definition of "impressive"

"so I can do a review / comparison from the point of view of changing my mind on my Nokia N900 ;-)"

This wasn't to change anyone's mind. With N900 getting old, people will have to jump ship. This isn't a length contest, it's a comparative review.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
I agree with most of what was said in this review. The one thing i see very differently is the default browser - N900 is a winner without contest, imo. (Opera is excellent on E7 though).
So, you disagree with the length of the space between N900 and E7, but not with the verdict? I'll take that as a compliment, and take this opportunity to remind you that the default E7 is substantially faster. If they were the same speed, I would agree M5 was miles ahead.

Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Oh, and the pdf reader on E7 is just atrocious (slow, wasteful of screen estate) compared to that of the N900's.
Never used it. Yet.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:

Tags
16gb storage, e7-00, nokiae7, review