Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yes, the lack of interest from Nokia is dissapointing, but that is just the opinion of one employee and someone more senior with a more customer focused attitude may be willing to see this fix appear in a future Hacker Edition release.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dont View Post
If Nokia do not find a way to issue this fix then I won't be buying any more devices from them.
Key word in that reply was *official*. That response doesn't necessarily affect what will or won't be done in future Hacker Editions.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-11-07 at 18:33.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Key word in that reply was *official*. That response doesn't necessarily affect what will or won't be done in future Hacker Editions.
To be honest Tex, if it's not fixed in a future HE update it will be shocking (to me at least) and reflect very badly on Nokia - here we have a situation where the community has provided Nokia with the fix for a memory corruption/crash bug in system firmware that Nokia have at times ignored or failed to track adequately (lost emails, apparent lack of interest etc.) and all Nokia now have to do is accept the patch and release it in a future firmware (ie. OS 2008 HE).

The signs thus far that this will happen are not positive, although I admit Kalle does not speak for Nokia as a whole. This bug has been mentioned in the developers mailing list, but maybe the bug and the patch needs to be brought to the attention of the powers that be?

I have to tread carefully there.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
From my reading of the bug thread the code involved would not get changed for an HE release, at least not for a 2007HE release. I don't think that we know for sure what will happen in a 2008HE release - or if the one Nokia employee working part-time when he feels like it on HE will ever get around to making 2008HE.

(Added later: I guess this phrase may be seen as being unfair to the guy working on HE for us. I am sorry, that was not my intention - I was really trying to blame Nokia for providing such minimal resources to maintaining the 770).

Regardless of this, I think that a fatal flaw in a less than two year-old product should be fixed officially and not by a 'hacker edition'

Nokia did not find the problem, they did not fix the problem. Two non-Nokia volunteers did all the work for them without much help from Nokia.

All they have to do is make up a new flash of OS2006 with this fix in it.

Nokia: Just do it.

Take 'the Long View' of your customers, please.

Last edited by dont; 2007-11-08 at 15:14.

I can take exception to some of your sour grapes but I know how those dialogs turn out so I won't waste my time or yours.. Still, you can choose to be pessimistic and gripe, or take a positive approach and lobby for improvement. Personally I'm real impressed in the professional approach fanoush and the other guy are taking. THAT is a Linux community at work. Hopefully certain Nokia employees are open to learning from their example... but beating on them is unlikely to be that agent for change. Neither is ranting here.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Still convinced that people step into the world of mobile internet with crazy expectations. I crash Firefox on my browser (Core Duo 2 gigs of Ram XP) nearly every day, I never even try surf the web on my symbian phones anymore because you can't do that for more than 5 minutes without an error. On the IT I can surf a full battery cycle (4 hours) without a crash using google reader to read my obscene number of feeds. Why is my experience so different than some others?
i think the diff is that while firefox on the desktop support session recovery, that isnt a option on the 770. as in, when the browser crash, you go back to square 1. its like browsing in pre-firefox times.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
I can take exception to some of your sour grapes but I know how those dialogs turn out so I won't waste my time or yours.. Still, you can choose to be pessimistic and gripe, or take a positive approach and lobby for improvement. Personally I'm real impressed in the professional approach fanoush and the other guy are taking. THAT is a Linux community at work. Hopefully certain Nokia employees are open to learning from their example... but beating on them is unlikely to be that agent for change. Neither is ranting here.
I am sorry that my original post did not communicate well.

I was not intending to beat on a Nokia employee.

I was certainly not criticizing fanoush et. al.

I was intending to beat on Nokia management.

Originally Posted by dont View Post
I was intending to beat on Nokia management.
Understood. Sometimes it's deserved (did I just say that??? ).

One thing to keep in mind is, as Milhouse insinuates, one coder's opinion in a bugfix thread does not necessarily reflect policy. In addition, sometimes it does and the decision is out of that person's hands. Which is why a professional approach can work wonders whereas an emotional appeal may backfire. I can tell you right now that the Finns are generally not very receptive to the latter, but can be to the former. If the proper business case is made (which unfortunately is difficult in this case) that helps a LOT.