Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
A Simple fix would be:

1. Create a "Whine and Cheezy" sub forum where mods can move these threads and split useless posts into.

2. Do not allow posts in this sub-forum to populate the "New Posts" page.

3. Create a new metric that counts the number of "Whine and Cheezy" posts from a member and puts that number next to a members thanks count.
(This would cut down on the recent "I love Ice Cream and if you agree with me, hit thanks" type threads that we are seeing...)

4. Recognize the outstanding job moderators are doing in attempting to clean up this mess with the tools that they do have. Realize that during a typical national holiday when more members have time and alcohol to fuel these unwanted posts, a moderator is spending his/her personal time to babysit some of us.

...that's all I got.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-01 at 11:25. Reason: can't spell for shyt

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
All of the whining and hate threads should be merged into one, and all of the hate posts in other threads should be marked as off-topic and deleted.
The other possible solution would be a more strict one:
After all, this is a Nokia forum, so no hate speech about Nokia or its devices is allowed.
Go and bugger off to Apple's or Google's forums (or whatever) and complain there about Nokia.

I have a better proposition:
Why not:
1. All posts should be approved by a Mod before being published.

2. If any post, with a content that doesn't fit in the general opinion of the users here, somehow sneaks through the Mod, the author of that post should be severely punished.
First punishment should be community condemnation.
Next follows: life-long imprisonment OR burning on the stake (author's decision).

3. If that doesn't help with the "bad" posts.. then ban all IP segments one by one till posts cease to appear.

Come on... get real... this is a public forum and it is a free world, so no one should be forced to accept other people opinion...
There should only be moderation on really legal stuff problems like publishing cracks etc...

And BTW this is not actually a Nokia forum!
This is the forum of the "Maemo open source community developing software around the Maemo platform". And that is a big difference... though it cannot be seen when reading most of the posts here...

Like... i am amazed how many people here talk about "competitors", "competition" etc... N900 may have competitors from a Nokia staff;s point of view, but from an open source community member's point of view there is no such thing as a competitor... there is only ALTERNATIVES... And that is what Open Source mostly is about...

The Following User Says Thank You to phobosk For This Useful Post:
I think because all the alternatives that Nokia had were so poor at the time for the best Nokia device. Many people bought one and now realising its not for them.

Nokia maketing was pretty slick and I guess some feel very betrayed by a company they have grown up with. This is the biggest and best site to discuss all things N900 so automatically becomes the place where people will vent their spleen or sing its praises.

As people say some of the posts are not constructive. But surely nokia and the Community need to have a chance to hear peoples views good and bad. So maybe a rant and rave section needs to be made avaiable where people can post such threads?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andygee For This Useful Post:
its frustration manly because there are hardly any apps. I think more complaints came when the htc desire came out. People saw how much can do on that phone and the amount of really good apps that has compaired to maemo

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
I found the numbers in a recent post by fgs interesting...

Originally Posted by fgs View Post
Some data from the online high score table of my 100 Boxes game. This will not help guess the absolute numbers, but maybe the distribution by country.

In 5 months, 16,897 game scores have been submitted from 7,305 unique IP addresses from 135 countries. These are the top countries:

United Kingdom 19,1%
Finland 11,2%
United States 8,9%
Germany 6,7%
Netherlands 4,8%
Russian Federation 4,1%
Italy 3,9%
France 3,3%
Sweden 2,4%
China 2,3%
India 1,7%
Norway 1,5%
Saudi Arabia 1,5%
Spain 1,4%
Other 27,3%
Perhaps a lot of the angst in these "Whine & Cheezy" threads should have been directed >> HERE << instead.

... or at least 19.1% of it.

SLN member # 009

Cause Google and Apple pay us 10 cents per FUD post.

If you really spam it up, you can really make some dough.

Disclaimer - I do not live in China

Most people are angry because they believe they bought a product Nokia would support like Apple does.

What they got is left behind in the dust to let a community pick up the slack.

As most people, this is sadly my last Nokia device.

The Following User Says Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
on a serious note - people are gripping here because many probably read these boards before buying the n900, and back then everything was optimistic and so these people have no idea that Nokia would act this way.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
A Simple fix would be:

1. Create a "Whine and Cheezy" sub forum where mods can move these threads and split useless posts into.

2. Do not allow posts in this sub-forum to populate the "New Posts" page.

3. Create a new metric that counts the number of "Whine and Cheezy" posts from a member and puts that number next to a members thanks count.
(This would cut down on the recent "I love Ice Cream and if you agree with me, hit thanks" type threads that we are seeing...)

4. Recognize the outstanding job moderators are doing in attempting to clean up this mess with the tools that they do have. Realize that during a typical national holiday when more members have time and alcohol to fuel these unwanted posts, a moderator is spending his/her personal time to babysit some of us.

...that's all I got.
Some moderators encourage disorder. I saw someone's apparent first post met by an extremely rude response, which was lacking real content -- and was thanked by a moderator.

Oh well, I see that a lynch mob mentality has infected almost everyone..

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
By the way, I love my N900. In fact, I may buy another one -- later today.

The intolerant attitudes in this thread make me reconsider.

Tags
because trolls, can't be alone, football, hooligans, reality