Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
When I ask Reggie how I go about creating a new theme, he says I must create a picture of what I want it to look like?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...7&postcount=28

Can you share your picture you used for minimallist theme?, and what process you went through to get it approved? Also where are you developing it? Do you have your own vbulletin site for testing?
What he means is for you to drawn a mockup image of what you want the theme to look like. This is one of the ones for the current theme. http://www.internettablettalk.com/images/maemotheme.png then a theme can be designed off of that mockup. You don't use the image to make a theme it just used to show how you want the final product to look. That is the first step in any major project like this. If all you want is current one with darker colors on bottom use that image and recolor it. As for minimalist theme I'm not releasing my mock ups right now but maybe next week. Also Reggie has a sandbox site we use for testing the themes. It would be up to him to allow access to it, but being that we would have to give you full admin rights I don't know if it is possible.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Well its bun a lot of fun for the last three years. It appears that the fun is coming to an end. I anticipate myself coming here less and less. If anyone wants to reach me use penguinbait@penguinbait.com.

It was a fun ride while it lasted.... keep in touch!!
Dear god, what are you, 5 years old?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Dear god, what are you, 5 years old?
I understand that Penguinbait's new sig reads to you like "If I can't have it my way I'm taking my ball and leaving," but I think that's unfair. Penguinbait made his statement politely, and kindly left us a forwarding address.

First off, it's possible that he finds the new forum hard to read, not because he's 5 years old but for the opposite reason. As I almost replied to George Fragos:
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
I underestand where the orange comes from but I find orange on white harder to read. IMHO my personal preference is for a darker theme.

George, clearly you're too old to be wanted here. If you were young, like Certain Persons I Won't Mention By Name, you would like the new design, and you would have no problem reading it and no sympathy for those whose vision isn't as good.

By the way, I'm too old, too.

Besides, Penguinbait has a right to feel the way he does on aesthetic grounds. Think of the forum as a cafe you frequent and like a lot. Then the owners change the decor to something you just can't stand. Would you keep going there? Even if you would, can you imagine someone else who would choose not to? Would you find it babyish that he chose to drink his coffee elsewhere?

Further, imagine that the cafe owners could give you magic glasses that would allow you to see the cafe the way you liked it while at the same time not impacting the cafe's actual appearance for any of the other customers. Wouldn't you find it rather irritating that they would refuse to let you wear the glasses? In fact, it might strike you as incomprehensibly totalitarian. In that case, you just might conclude that "the fun is coming to an end," and you really wouldn't want to come back.

Penguinbait has been a great and generous contributor to this forum. I put him in a small elite, with fanoush and gnuite and just a few others. What I don't get is why the powers-that-be wouldn't cater to a request that is not wildly idiosyncratic (look at his poll and all the other requests) and is very little skin off anyone's back. (It's not as if he's asking for a change in the default; he's merely asking for an option, of which there used to be many. See my other post on this.)

Instead I read this foolishness from these powers-that-be about how he ought to be volunteering to participate if he wants something different. But he knows full well that what he wants already exists and that they just won't provide it as an option. Besides, it's not as if he's a lazy duffer. He's participated plenty. E.g., not only did he create the Console Tools but he answered a zillion forum members' questions about it. So, rather than web design or community politics, creating code for the Tablets and helping its users has been his form of participation. It doesn't give him power, but I believe it ought to grant him respect.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
But he knows full well that what he wants already exists and that they just won't provide it as an option.
Reggie has already responded to this point.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Reggie has already responded to this point.
Thanks. Where?

If this is what you mean --

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Man, I don't think some will ever get it. It's a shame that all this disagreement will just take toll on the community. It's not a matter of just reactivating an old theme, nor just get a pre-built theme off the shelf. It's all about our image as a community! What kind of message are we going to give the future members with a disjoint theme and all this bickering.

-- I think that's poor reasoning, since the "disjointed theme" will not be seen by anyone who hasn't specifically requested it! I've answered that "response" of Reggie's here.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-05-03 at 00:16.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Additionally, what is the point of changing to new message board software where the old themes could not be used, but instead would have to be rewritten if wanted? What was wrong with the old message board software?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
What was wrong with the old message board software?
It lacked the security updates of the newer software, for one.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-05-03 at 01:14.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It lacked the security updates of the newer software, for one.
I can still post. Some security!

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
I think you want this link.
Hehe. Thanks.

Tim