Active Topics

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
The rules are absolutely clear on the fact: there is no need for an election if there are five candidates. There is no diversion from the "previous agreed-upon mechanisms".

Having an election with low turnout could be more harmful.
Just curios:

How is the chair chosen if there is no election?

What harm could come from low turnout?

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
The Chair has historically been chosen by the newly elected council.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
his nick here is attila77 if i'm not mistaken. or does "achipa" refer to his nickname elsewhere? sorry if that's the case
It is I, Leclerc ! achipa==attila77. Jokes aside, it's a relic of the old setup - someone has already registered achipa on the (then ITT) forum, so I got stuck with this split personality.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Okay, fair enough. I was not aware of the rule. Since that is the case, then there should be no election but make sure the "why" is communicated clearly so debate is not prolonged unnecessarily.
Well, I linked to it under election process:

# If fewer than 5 candidates stand for election, the 3 with the most votes are elected to the council.

If there exactly five candidates, and there are five slots, the five candidates get elected.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
How is the chair chosen if there is no election?
As ever, within the Council. The votes have no bearing on the matter.

What harm could come from low turnout?
The Council could be viewed as lame duck and it could be seen as "proving" that the Maemo community is tired, stale and non-existent.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
The Council could be viewed as lame duck and it could be seen as "proving" that the Maemo community is tired, stale and non-existent.
Playing protagonist:

Is having an election with low turnout more or less harmful than not having an election due to the fact the community could barely find 5 people who were willing to be on the council (4 +1 if nobody else stepped up)?

Isn't being worried that the turnout is going to be "low" almost admitting that those claims have some merit?

Really, unless some more people show interest in being on the council, necessitating an election, it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I would like to nominate MohammadAG, Jaffa, Timsamoff, Nicolai and D-livil.

As those have stood out and have shown the community they are valuable and competent. The ability to be active and have good understanding of maemo.orgs inner working will be extra important during the next term.

I would also like the Council to be extended to 8-9 people instead of the 5 as it is now.

I know i am forgetting someone...
i totally agree with you.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Thanks for doing this. It would not be good in these difficult times to have less than a full 5 member council.
Agreed. Again, my time might be limited, but I hated the idea of only 3 by default when 4 were standing. So if nothing else now 4 active representatives are confirmed and I will do what I can. I am certainly still interested in maemo.org's continuance.

My apologies; I had thought I had made my intentions clear: if there were only 4 candidates by the deadline, I would stand. If a fifth other than myself announced before the deadline, then I would not.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-03-15 at 17:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My apologies; I had thought I had made my intentions clear: if there were only 4 candidates by the deadline, I would stand. If a fifth other than myself announced before the deadline, then I would not.
This was clear:

However... IF only 4 members declare by the deadline, then consider this my announcement as fifth. My preference though is that I be bumped by someone new.
However, this confused things:

qole wrote:
Please note that, according to the rules, that it makes no difference if 4 or 5 people stand for election, only 3 will be chosen. There needs to be at least 6 candidates in order to have a full council of 5 members elected.
Arg! I missed that. Okay, my condition just gets bumped up by one, then.

Maybe the next council needs to revisit that rule...
It wasn't clear whether or not you'd seen my clarification. Thanks for making it plain :-)

It wasn't clear whether or not you'd seen my clarification. Thanks for making it plain :-)
Ah. Well that email was sent before I received yours, and I had just trusted qole on the interpretation-- then failed to follow-up. Won't happen again. ( qole)

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Playing protagonist:

Is having an election with low turnout more or less harmful than not having an election due to the fact the community could barely find 5 people who were willing to be on the council (4 +1 if nobody else stepped up)?

Isn't being worried that the turnout is going to be "low" almost admitting that those claims have some merit?

Really, unless some more people show interest in being on the council, necessitating an election, it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.
I don't think there's any avoiding your last observance. Low nomination count could very well be seen as low interest. So anything following is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Discouraged members (and trolls) will likely complain about 5 people just stepping in with no vote but I'm sure such complaining is just an extension of other escalating complaints about maemo.org's decline and possible irrelevance.

Still, the volunteer council will do its best, I'm sure, to allay such complaints and concerns but at the same time continually gage the general emotional state here and factor that into discussion and decisions.

Did I set off a bs bingo detector yet?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: