Active Topics

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@abyz: Yeah, Z10 battery is not so good. My mum has the Z30 and she also plays a couple of Android games on it (aside from using the Hub and social media all the time) and is connected to 4G and WiFi. Battery lasts (esp. with the latest 10.3.1) at least 1 day, sometimes 1,5 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
I was so sad that I couldnt buy a Jolla device because it wouldnt really work in the united states.
I'm just curious - Why wouldn't Jolla Phone work in USA?

You really do not have any 3G/LTE networks there?

Originally Posted by irulestar View Post
Sorry. Just want to know where did he got Jolla ..
No, I meant I posted in the wrong forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post

This has been discussed to the death on TMO. In short, the Jolla modem does not support the 3G/4G frequencies used over there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Yup. The closest you come to using the Jolla phone in the USA if you really want 4G is to move to Canada...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by irulestar View Post
Can BB10/30 use theme!?
There are plenty of BlackBerry apps that can change the home screen wallpaper, lock screen wallpaper, color scheme, notification light behavior, etc. And I've heard that some Android apps also work to change the device's appearance, but I don't use Android for that, so I can't say from personal experience.

I prefer the look and flow of SailfishOS to BB10, so I would love a Sailfish theme for BB 10, but I haven't found any.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
I got a Jolla from a person who developed one thing on Sailfish used it heavily for a while then moved to the US and didn't tolerate 2G.
You can get a Jolla from ebay, many people in India are willing to ship worldwide.

The Following User Says Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA

was that a serious question.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi

2G is just one of many compromises one needs to make to get around with Jolla without pushing the proliferation of the market dominance by major mobile operating systems.

-you can surf on 2G reasonably well; I used it a lot on N900 to save energy. Mostly I would only switch to 3G if I would want to setup an access point for a couple of laptops or Skype / SIP call.

I could make a point that those Skype and SIP are also not too well implemented by Jolla, so I would need LTE / 3G less, sadly but true.

Carry my OLD N900 as mobile 3G access point would be my solution in the USA. @ OP: You have the tools and I did not read the lines where you would sell the N900.

But then again, I think buying SIM cards should be like buying cigarettes/chewing gum, name your flavor, pay, consume. Contracts are tiresome.

LTE: nice feature but data limits don't allow to enjoy, don't know about USA.

-for navigation you can now download offline maps with Nokia Maps for Android

-the beautiful native IRC client on Jolla works pretty well on low bandwith

And with the current 100 Euro rebate on Jolla, I think you get just what you pay for: a beautiful alternative OS, however without 3G / LTE.

It all becomes easier when not using Android is your moral choice. If there was no Jolla I would also be inclined to try the Blackberry. If Canadian government doesn't order full plug into those after recent shootings, that is

anyway, advice to OP is to sell or give away the Nokia's or be ready to say hello to this community soon

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I think buying SIM cards should be like buying cigarettes/chewing gum, name your flavor, pay, consume.
Except that you don't need to tell all your friends, family and business contacts what flavour of cigarettes/chewing gums you are using this month. SIM cards come with numbers attached.

And with the current 100 Euro rebate on Jolla, I think you get just what you pay for: a beautiful alternative OS, however without 3G / LTE.
Excellent. So those of us living in Europe get the same with 3G and LTE as an extra free bonus. A bargain!

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: