Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
well i m facing some problem with it !! there is no sound in my alarm! later i chaged sound file from alarm setting(inbuilt alarm) then tried evil alarm and when i press test alarm there was sound for only 2-3sec. harldy played.the vibration works properly.i changed diffrent settings many time but could not make to work.

well i m going to bed now and will see here tomorrow if some one help me here THANKS! in advanced

The Following User Says Thank You to nicholes For This Useful Post:
Hello nicholes!
I didn't know the alarm could vibrate, but I just enabled vibration in profile settings and I can reproduce the problem.

Apparently the vibration is strong enough to make EvilAlarm think the phone moved, so it immediately turns off the sound again.
When vibration is disabled, sound works as intended.

Will try to fix that in the next release, thanks for reporting it

The Following User Says Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
After upgrading to 0.3, I have the same issue as nicholes. Turning off the vibration fixes this, but not entirely. It just stops playing after a few feconds (10, 20 maybe?) and goes quiet before the sound file starts over. I almost overslept because of this :/

As stated in the changelog, you can't stop the alarm from the UI (menu / kill current task). That's fine to some degree, but not even opening the telephone app via the menu stops it. What would happen if you got a call while the alarm is still playing? It's already so intrusive that I'd imagine you couldn't take the incoming call...

/edit: As as it just turns out, I can't even downgrade because 0.2 has been wiped off the repository... meh.

Last edited by eezo; 2010-11-30 at 18:28.

@eezo:

Does the sound turn off entirely? Or just for a few seconds?

The intrusiveness is pretty much intentional, though I could probably get away with less (e.g. make it a normal window so you can use other applications). Will need to think about that.
Surprisingly, you can take incoming calls, though you have to kill the phone app (in background) via "End current task" to disconnect

You can get the previous version here:
http://filebin.ca/kvtrqu/evilalarm_0.2_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Notes from 0.3:

In settings, there is a lack of clarity for "Max. number of snoozes (0 to disable)". Does 0 disable the snooze function, or does it disable a maximum (allowing an infinite number of snoozes)?

Also, it does seem like there needs to be some way to terminate the alarm besides just waiting for the "Completely shut down after" setting.
If that is set to 60 minutes for hard sleepers, and you do get up, the phone remains unusable until the 60 minutes is up as it will not show or change to anything but the EvilAlarm screen & continues to alarm. "End current task" did not show up while I tested it. Only removing the battery will end the alarm.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
In settings, there is a lack of clarity for "Max. number of snoozes (0 to disable)".
Thanks, I'll change that to "0 to disable snooze".

Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Also, it does seem like there needs to be some way to terminate the alarm besides just waiting for the "Completely shut down after" setting.
Long press on power button also turns off the phone. (already done this a few times )

But you've convinced me, I'll make full screen optional (and off by default). You could then use 'killall evilalarm' to really turn it off, or wait till I add some sort of puzzle.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by cpulvermacher View Post
some sort of puzzle.
I had been thinking about what kind of puzzle would be appropriate, seeing as how when I wake up I am barely rational for hours.

If you haven't come up with an approach yet, it seems like the approach of something like Captcha would be appropriate: only difficult enough to engage reasoning, and no more.

You could have a series of very simple problems randomly ordered to do this, along the lines of
- display a series of numbers, and ask which is divisible by 3
if failure, start over, on success, present another like
- show three colored buttons, ask which is the yelllow button
if failure, start over, on success, present another like
- Show several letters, ask what is the first letter of the alphabet
etc.

A configuration option could set how many puzzles needed to be solve before shutting off the alarm.

@eezo:

Does the sound turn off entirely? Or just for a few seconds?
Just for about two seconds or so, before it starts from the beginning. This loops until the timer runs out.

The intrusiveness is pretty much intentional, though I could probably get away with less (e.g. make it a normal window so you can use other applications). Will need to think about that.
Surprisingly, you can take incoming calls, though you have to kill the phone app (in background) via "End current task" to disconnect
Ok, I was merely wondering

About the sound playing: Personally, I liked the music going quiet and still progressing in the background. If someone was to choose a song that started slowly and at a low volume, they could still "enjoy" the rest of the song instead of just listening to the beginning over and over again.
If it can't be helped, oh well. Quite frankly, I can't even say if this is intentional or just a byproduct of using the official alarm system to play the music.

You can get the previous version here:
http://filebin.ca/kvtrqu/evilalarm_0.2_armel.deb
Thank you very much, you saved my mornings!

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
Unfortunately, the v 0.3 didn't work properly on my phone |:/

1)Whenever it starts, it will play the music and vibrate, but just for half a second. Then, every other minute, it will do the same (or maybe is the music starting again).

2)After rebooting, it killed all my widgets. Why and how, I don't know.

I guess I'll have to keep 0.2 for now |:/. Not being able to terminate it in some shape or form (I liked the puzzle idea) did not work well with me. I usually never disconnect the alarm anyway, so not being able to is not the "main" feature. For me, the main feature is being able to say how many minutes I want it to stay up (and why should it stay up only for 60 minutes? I would like to be able to let it ringing "forever" if I could).

Anyway, thank you VERY VERY much!

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
@Temporal:

I've almost fixed 1)

2) is probably something else, Evilalarm doesn't mess with widgets