Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by skunkonkrunk View Post
From my position at work, I speak to people from inside LG, Nokia, Samsung etc on a monthly basis. The Nokia rep stated to me himself Nokia where taken aback slightly by how many people went out and got an N900.
Yeah. I have also this from some Nokia employees. It became "too" successfull. I think that this should have been only innovators and early adopters device but it went also to early majority. Thanks to bit too aggressive marketing in UK.

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Aren't some Android phones palm sized netbooks aswell?
No. They are palm sized android phones. Go buy one, you'll see the difference.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Yeah. I have also this from some Nokia employees. It became "too" successfull. I think that this should have been only innovators and early adopters device but it went also to early majority. Thanks to bit too aggressive marketing in UK.
Yep, carphone warehouse were pushing it as the ultimate facebook/twitter on the go device for the masses...

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
Aren't some Android phones palm sized netbooks aswell?
Show me an Android phone you can run Debian apps on.

Gotta love how all these rubbish threads turn into proper conversations...
I imagine h3llraz0r reading through and turning into that 'FUUUUUUUUUUU' guy....

PS using numbers instead of letters is for 14 year olds. In 1998.

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
Yep, carphone warehouse were pushing it as the ultimate facebook/twitter on the go device for the masses...
Do you not think it is? Facebook is perfect on the N900, even Facebook chat works pefectly without having to use a client, and Twitter is perfect on it too. I'd rather have it than anything else, just seems the masses are more interested in the approach of easy to use apps that provide a stripped down and more basic interface for sites like Facebook and Twitter. I feel the same way about Youtube on the N900, why use a shitty little app when the desktop version works perfectly?

We can still do "unofficial" Meego installs so I don't see what the big deal is. I'm quite happy with Maemo anyways, I'll have to see what advantages there are to switching to Meego...I don't like the .deb to .rpm change, that's for sure.

Do you not think it is? Facebook is perfect on the N900, even Facebook chat works pefectly without having to use a client, and Twitter is perfect on it too. I'd rather have it than anything else, just seems the masses are more interested in the approach of easy to use apps that provide a stripped down and more basic interface for sites like Facebook and Twitter. I feel the same way about Youtube on the N900, why use a shitty little app when the desktop version works perfectly?
No it definitely is the best way to check out facebook, youtube etc, well in fact the internet in general, but I think it's a bit too geeky/techy for your average non-tech high street consumer.

In a discussion about what fone someone was going to get, someone actually said 'The iPhone is well good, you can get an app that;s like a zippo lighter and you can blow it out and everything...'

It's a bit like computing in general. Microsoft could implement a load of things that would actually make day to day use far more easy/enjoyable, but if you have that ion one OS, and another OS that has an animated cartoon cat running across the tops of your windows(not a feature in any OS, as far as I know...) , fickle joe public will be tempted bu the pretty trinkets..

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
@stopgap
he can has his opinion but please look at the threads he started lately. i think he wants and deserves nothing but ridiculous childish namecalling. what makes you think nokia gave up on the n900? Meego? there is no proof that they gave up on the n900. he thinks it just because they announced that meego is not officialy available for it but who the hell cares? right now i'm kind of satisfied with the (delayed) PR 1.2 and i think even if nokia stops developing for the n900 it will still evolve through the community.

edit:

i'm 23 but call me childish if you like

you should read this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53695
Yeah, I read that already.

For the record, whilst I may not agree with you entirely, I don't think what you said is childish at all. You use adult words to discuss and convey your opinion and critique someone else's opinion - if only everyone on here could manage that eh!

I also don't think that the thread you mentioned necessarily did the OP any favours given the language he used and his tone. That said, I can easily understand his frustration and annoyance at trying to just get someone to listen (cos Nokia sure don't) and receiving nothing but insults and abuse from people back. I know that'd make me frustrated!

I can't see where the OP is from, but there is also the possibility that English is not his/her native language (and the same goes for everyone on here) and this can lead to different ways of wording things that come across differently than intended. This can lead to misunderstandings which sadly escalate into name calling and rudeness which makes this forum a less pleasant place for me to be sadly!

For the record, this is what I find childish and offensive:

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
He pretty much seems to be a complete cock as far as I can see. Apparently an operating system is a 'useless feature'..
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Obvious troll is obvious.

I knew you couldn't stay away. Pathetic man. Truly pathetic.

But hey, simple fact of the matter is, if you dont like the device then just **** off and stop crying about it.....
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
It is about as helpful as [let me google that for you] and totally unnecessary. It is easier to say nothing than to go to the effort of insulting someone. Noone is forcing you to read ANYTHING - you can just rise above and ignore it all.

Frankly, I find the behaviour worse than that which those who cry "troll" are accusing the supposed "troll" of perpetrating in the first place!

Anyone is of course entitled and indeed welcome to disagree with me and my personal opinions here, but I politely request that you do so without resorting to calling me names or insulting me...

Closed Thread