Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Hi Racky,

Yes, you will pay more. A whole $5 more per month to get the 3G. I currently have simple Edge and am about to switch over to the $24.99 per month over the $19.99 (Total Internet) option.

The Following User Says Thank You to Munk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by racky View Post
I checked the t-mobile website and I didn't see the price different for 3G. If I have already subscribed for EDGE, do I need to pay more for 3G?
Not unless you switch contracts. If you upgrade the phone without changing your contract, your current internet plan will stay the same price.

On the website, t-mobile doesn't distinguish between the different phone speeds for the internet pricing plans. EDGE, GPRS, 3G, they're all the same price.

Keep your current internet plan and your price won't change even if you upgrade your phone. I'm still using my $4.99/month T-Zones plan I got back in 2002.

The Following User Says Thank You to MattZTexasu For This Useful Post:
Wow, that is great, thanks. I have the $5.99 T-zones plan that works Ok, just too slow. If I can keep the same price and better speed, that it would be great.
Funny though, if I upgrade to google G1, T-mobile will force you to get the G1 data plan for $24.99 more, but if I upgrade to TM506, it doesn't need to, interesting because they both use the same 3G, right?

that's right. the difference is that t-mobile considers the G1 to be a smartphone, so a smartphone plan is required. You won't be able to tether your NIT with the G1 either.
You'll be able to tether the TM506 with the 5.99 T=zones plan, no problem, and you'll get speedy 3g speeds doing it. And it's a nice phone. Java apps are very fast on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MattZTexasu For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestion, I just ordered it.

Both the G1 phone and the Samsung Behold don't do tethering. What's with that???

Also, the Sony TM506 needs to be downgraded on the firmware version because the newer fw upgrade removes the ability to tether. I am about to purchase the TM506 myself and am reading about how to downgrade its fw. The Nokia 6263 also does DUN connection and 3G through T-Mobile. Darla Mack used it to tether her N810 with her Nokia 6263 using T-Mobile 3G.

http://www.darlamack.com/darlamack/2...es-to-dal.html

Last edited by Munk; 2008-12-12 at 04:59.

Originally Posted by MattZTexasu View Post
. I'm still using my $4.99/month T-Zones plan I got back in 2002.
MattZTexasu, are you saying that you are taking advantage of the 3G speeds using the 4.99 t-zones? That would be freaking amazing.

Are there any drawbacks from going this route over the "Total Internet" option? Other than not having free T-Mobile hotspots, I can't see any drawbacks.

Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Both the G1 phone and the Samsung Behold don't do tethering. What's with that???
I have a theory that no new T-Mobile phones will allow tethering. The TM506 will be the last one.

Also, the Sony TM506 needs to be downgraded on the firmware version because the newer fw upgrade removes the ability to tether.
It's true that the new fw disables tethering; but so far, no one has received a new phone with the new fw pre-installed (mine's only 2 weeks old. it had the last firmware). The people that are reporting it have upgraded via SEUS.

The Nokia 6263 also does DUN connection and 3G through T-Mobile. Darla Mack used it to tether her N810 with her Nokia 6263 using T-Mobile 3G.

http://www.darlamack.com/darlamack/2...es-to-dal.html
the 6263 supports UMTS. It's slower than the G1/behold/TM506 hspda. That's why he is only getting 350kbps.

MattZTexasu, are you saying that you are taking advantage of the 3G speeds using the 4.99 t-zones? That would be freaking amazing.
yep, that's what I'm saying.

Are there any drawbacks from going this route over the "Total Internet" option? Other than not having free T-Mobile hotspots, I can't see any drawbacks.
yes, there are drawbacks. the new apn, epc.tmobile.com, compresses jpgs to the point that they look really bad. with the total internet, you can use the internet2 apn which does nothing to your content.

Also, the epc apn is completely unrestricted at the moment. Everyone expects that to end soon. When it does, they're likely to lock all ports but web proxy(8080), smtp (25), pop3(110), and imap(143). You can visit the web by setting the proxy on your NIT. or you can setup your own ssh tunnel (hint:socks proxy) using a server on one of the above open ports.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ On the wasatch front, UT USA
Originally Posted by MattZTexasu View Post
yep, that's what I'm saying.

yes, there are drawbacks. the new apn, epc.tmobile.com, compresses jpgs to the point that they look really bad. with the total internet, you can use the internet2 apn which does nothing to your content.
Does anyone know what's AT&T's policy on their internet offerings. I currently have the $15/m "medianet" but only at EDGE speeds (do to phone) and it tethers fine to my n800 - I do not see any other offering from them (other than the internet you get with a blackberry or iphone). I was going to get a new contract with AT&T or T-mobile and upgrade to a 3G capable phone (for tethering purposes - if of course I am still able to by they time I get my phone!).