Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Well, if you remember what Maemo 2.2 (on the 770) was like....and how long it took for it to evolve into what we have today....then you'll have an idea of why some people here want the more mature option.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Where you need multi-touch? I'm fine without it.

Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
apologises as i seem to of upset alot of you, but to get that high rate over (as you put it) a mis-informed post is rather childish. Just calm down, point me in right direction and move on
A lot of people on this forum are ridiculously defensive/aggressive.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yeah thats not so much true. Multi touch is possible on the N900 (and previous maemo devices) and in fact there are several videos showing POC demos. The support for multi touch however has been waiting on the new Qt platform (4.6 +) and should be entirely possible with Meego even on the N900.
TBH Qt4.6 does not support the 'resistive' type of multitouch, nor do I really relieve multitouch on the N900 will ever be as good as to be a viable alternative to the multitouch action of a capacitive display. Of course whether/why multitouch is necessary at all is a different issue.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Everything I have read implies we will NOT get Meego, as Meego ultimately will be designed around functionality the N900 simply cannot provide (eg multi-touch).
i cant believe that multi touch will be a requirement for MeeGo, It will be targeted for many kinds of devices as i have heard, so a requirement for multi touch would really lock down the number of devices it will support.

If there is something that could be in the way then it is the 2 key things that in my eyes would have been very nice for the N900 to have:

1> double the amount of NAND (rootfs) to 512MB
2> double the amount of RAM to 512MB

I think those 2 thing could potentially be more of a bottleneck for a MeeGo upgrade.
And i think those 2 things where possible for the N900 to have from the start.

Compared to the other feature i would like to see, but that of course didnt make it for the N900 and thats a dual core Cortext A9.... I really need dual core.. it happens to many times that i wait for processes to complete and i see the cpu in the red, so no i dont really need a faster cpu, i just need to have more cores.

Besides the 2 memory things i think the N900 only misses one hardware piece that i also would like to have had and thats a compass. But that will definitely not be MeeGo requirement.... only nice to have.

Originally Posted by adam123 View Post
apologises as i seem to of upset alot of you, but to get that high rate over (as you put it) a mis-informed post is rather childish. Just calm down, point me in right direction and move on
My comment was not a dig at you but commentary on the community's tendency for spreading any interesting rumours as news. Watching #maemo and #n900 on twitter can be quite depressing some days.

I'd be interested to know where you got your information from.

Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
i cant believe that multi touch will be a requirement for MeeGo, It will be targeted for many kinds of devices as i have heard, so a requirement for multi touch would really lock down the number of devices it will support.
I concur, multitouch is just an input method. To have an OS that relies on a particular input method would be foolish. Having alternate methods for activating the basic multitouch functions wouldn't hard. And it would be up to application developers to provide alternatives for more advanced multitouch functions.

Just think how many ways can you zoom in MicroB

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i spoke to a intel guy a few weeks back and he said MeeGo will support both resistive and capacitive and he hoped nokia would make handsets using both kinds, buts its up to the device maker what they use.
I'm talking Real MeeGo not harmattan rebranded as meego.
we know harmattan devices will have capacitive but b/c the move to MeeGo we'll probably only see one Harmattan device any way
after that i'm guessing it will be a Nokia choice if they only use capacitive but not MeeGo requirement

Originally Posted by SirMuttley View Post
To have an OS that relies on a particular input method would be foolish.
You must be new here.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
You must be new here.
Is that your only input method?

Tags
professional talk