Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Also, a big advantage would be to have an intra-Summit communication system, either text or voice, or both. The big issue this year was everyone had to track a load of people, and it was a bit of a hit-n-miss game to know who had a working phone number, what their skype/gtalk account was, etc. That or just put the gtalk username on the profile with an "IM me" link.
telepathy-salut (link local) sounds perfect for this.

And the word "aftermath" makes me think Summit ended with a "...many lives were lost that day."

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Sebastien, you are right on target. I am proposing @ a minimum that we 1) define a summit IM tool (I suggest Gizmo) and 2) have participants enter their appropriate id into the wiki page.
Just run a Jabber server on the LAN? Open protocol, allows SSL, does not force users to use any specific client. IRC may also work. Gizmo is proprietary application supporting several protocols whereas what matters is what protocol you're gonna use.

Aftermath was freudian slip

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
telepathy-salut (link local) sounds perfect for this.

And the word "aftermath" makes me think Summit ended with a "...many lives were lost that day."
I was thinking more like "in the wake of", what did we take away, what should we take away.

It fit perfectly to me, "aftermatch" means nothing to me?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-10-14 at 12:52.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Did I write "aftermath" or someone edited the subject? I wanted to write "aftermatch" and this is the term typed in the email sent to all participants.
A mod edited it, yes. I've edited it back.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
No, it was more a Thomas event: "Luckily, no one was hurt."

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
What does "aftermatch" mean?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
It's the exact opposite of "beforematch".

And no, neither food, sex nor Canadian expressions are involved.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
$ dict aftermatch
No definitions found for "aftermatch", perhaps you mean:
gcide: Aftermath
wn: aftermath
moby-thes: aftermath
bouvier: AFTERMATH

qole wins...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
It's the opposite of the "pre-game" show held before most football games in the US.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Overall, I liked the 2009 Summit better than the 2008 one, mainly because more people came and there were more user-oriented talks. I also liked the catering! That was a super addition!

I would really like some more demo+discussion talks at future Summits, rather than the slide+talk format.

Two things that bothered me:
  • The wifi was terrible. Every time I moved between rooms, I would have to manually reconnect. The party was held in a place (still on campus!) without wifi, and that was disappointing for me. The "Maemo Drinks" time the next night was better for me because of the wifi. At an event like this, wifi is so critical, and it was quite disappointing.
  • The informal discussions I had with people were the best part of both Summits. This year, I found that to be more difficult than last year. Because of the spread-out nature of the campus, it was difficult to find people that you wanted to talk to, and then sit down and talk with them. The community / lunch room, with the long, long, long narrow tables and benches, was not very good for informal discussions, because the tables made it very difficult to get to the people I wanted to talk to, and then, when sitting at the table, it was difficult to see and talk with all of the people in the group properly.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I'm guessing it's a post game review, something I've heard of, though never watched. I don't follow sports.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
presentations, summit