Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I think I read your post in the past mentioning the problem of the router. I am using a similar router, WRT54GS firmware v4.50.6, and it appears working fine.

Regarding his prank calls in the video, didnt he say he does not mind if it is lady's prank call? His video went a little too fast for me, I have to pause and review several times. This guide has it all type out.

bun
Bun,
Your WRT54GS 4.50.6 is very different from a WR54G Rev 5 or 6.... these Linksys WRT54 routers have changed so many times and in some incredibly significant ways, it is sad that they didn't see fit to distinguish the different models better.

For those of you reading this that have never heard of DD-WRT, I recommend you look into it. There are other firmwares too. "Issues" using SIP VOIP, regardless of provider, can be attributed to the WRT54G's factory firmware. You can spend days trying to figure out why your SIP stuff doesn't work on your N800 (or ATA). Look at your router early in the debug process. Anyone who's SIP works fine, need not be concerned.

M5

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2008-09-15 at 23:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Since FWD went not free, I switched to Voxalot which, frankly still confuses me by requiring me to get a "Voice Service Provider" (which I didn't). See this thread for FWD details: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18127. Set up is identical for Voxalot. Video to PC chat works, etc, etc.

Dial In:
With Voxalot, I can use SIPnumber.com for free incoming calls. If the caller leaves a message, I can pick up my voice mail through the N800 or through email since a WAV is emailed from Voxalot. Completely free.

Dial Out:
Skype. Not free. Sigh.

Dornanu

The Following User Says Thank You to dornanu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
I had huge problems such as you describe. I was using a Linksys WRT54G router. If you are using this router, that could explain it. Your neighbor's router might be a different make and model. This explains why you can use his network with success. The laggy behavior is probably due to distance (signal strength) or his downloading torrents (or streaming video) that you are unaware of.

Consider your router as the source of your problem.

My router works fine once I flashed it with aftermarket (non-linksys) firmware.

Regards

M5
Alcatel/Lucent SpeedTouch 780. The SpeedTouch 780 provides a mini PBX. Yesterday I upgraded it to the latest firmware because of a security vulnerability, but the problem still persists. I have a PCI ADSL modem lying around too, but the problem is that I need one wired VoIP telephone and one wireless (the NIT). The wired is a normal telephone (not a VoIP one) connected to the SpeedTouch 780 which then allows VoIP, but the PCI ADSL modem doesn't have such exit node. So I would probably need to buy some kind of exit node and make a real PBX using Asterisk, or an ethernet VoIP wired phone of some sort. Or just get 2 wireless. I could build an Asterisk node right now, letting that log in to my SIP account, and then let my NIT log in on Asterisk. I could also use my server to provide WLAN as its currently has an unused WLAN card in it. Can't decide, issue persisted last months...

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-09-16 at 13:18.

Tags
dialcentral, grandcentral, phone, sip