Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
@geneven

i have still 35mb free in rootfs with all repos activated.

im just wondering......why when apps are un-installed, it does not free up the memory for installable apps (2gb memory) or i just dont notice it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
@geneven

i have still 35mb free in rootfs with all repos activated.

im just wondering......why when apps are un-installed, it does not free up the memory for installable apps (2gb memory) or i just dont notice it.
Well, I'm not sure, but I think some things are left behind because there is certain data and stuff that is generally usable by other programs, so it isn't removed when the program is.

Back to the other subject: I wouldn't even worry about the eMMC unless you start having serious problems and can't find another solution other than reflashing back to the stone age, so to speak.

When you feel ambitious, learn to run Ubuntu from a CD. It's fun, and it would make flashing easier for you when you need it.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, I'm not sure, but I think some things are left behind because there is certain data and stuff that is generally usable by other programs, so it isn't removed when the program is.

Back to the other subject: I wouldn't even worry about the eMMC unless you start having serious problems and can't find another solution other than reflashing back to the stone age, so to speak.

When you feel ambitious, learn to run Ubuntu from a CD. It's fun, and it would make flashing easier for you when you need it.
so ubuntu is really needed to run by burning a cd. i installed that one on my laptop and tried flashing, but the flasher from wiki does not work when i try to install the flasher.

having a good time with that os. having a win7 and ubuntu in a laptop is so cool.

back to the topic. so if the case that not the whole file is deleted on the memory when an app is uninstalled, what if i already instal and uninstall a big app? does that mean it consumes space? or it just replaces the old app file?

yes!

so after browsing the root of the device, and reading through some guides in this forum, i found out that apps are not fully removed when uninstalled.

what i did is:

xterm.
sudo gainroot
cd /home (/opt, /user, etc)
and delete all the app directories that i uninstall

result is a 300mb space freed from my 2gb app memory.

my questions:

-is this a good way to do this? (i know its a lot of work but works for freeng up space in eMMC)

-is there other directories that apps' datas are installed other that /opt and /user?

please advise. my deepest thanks.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
yes!

so after browsing the root of the device, and reading through some guides in this forum, i found out that apps are not fully removed when uninstalled.

what i did is:

xterm.
sudo gainroot
cd /home (/opt, /user, etc)
and delete all the app directories that i uninstall

result is a 300mb space freed from my 2gb app memory.

my questions:

-is this a good way to do this? (i know its a lot of work but works for freeng up space in eMMC)

-is there other directories that apps' datas are installed other that /opt and /user?

please advise. my deepest thanks.
It should be just /opt that needs clearing out (and this will be done automatically with PR1.2). The directories in /home/user are the configuration files, so are usually left in case you want to reinstall the apps. They're perfectly safe to remove if you've uninstalled the app though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
hey guys.which format method is better the with vanilla and a pc or can i do it with:go in filemanager press and hold on n900 and the press format.is it the same???

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
hey guys.which format method is better the with vanilla and a pc or can i do it with:go in filemanager press and hold on n900 and the press format.is it the same???
No, all you're formatting on the N900 is the MyDocs partition. When you reflash with the vanilla, you're also rewriting the /home partition (which is usually where any problems are that lead to you needing to reflash the eMMC).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
hi guys recently i reflashed my n900, no problem at all with the fiasco image ( coming from pr 1.2 to pr 1.1) but i do have a problem here when i tried to reflash the EMMC, everything went ok until when the reflashing suddenly stopped at the part where it says
" Raw data transfer EP found at EP2.
instead of read the original message wich is : Image (s) flashed succesfully in bla bla bla bla time.
there is message telling me the following:
(finished) 96%, then there is a number i think is the time it took to reflash and then the 0 kB/s
and don't move from there, and the phone stay freezed, so i have to remove the batery, and then switch on the phone just to discovered that some information was still remaining, like some pictures on the memory card, and the pictures on the memory of the phone but i can not see them.
what can i do to completely reflash the emmc and get rid from all those files still in? need some help .plz

i forgot to say that right now is not recognizing the sim card and the memory card

Last edited by peacekeper; 2010-05-19 at 05:11.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
The fun part is that I'm having the same issue as the OP in XP Mode. I figured out what is stopping it but I don't know how to remedy it. Basically the phone disconnects in order to switch modes but instead of going back into updater mode it goes into PC Suite mode which makes it unrecognizable to the Flasher utility.

Posts: 117 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ San Diego
Update: Phone calls are also not updating...

apparently nobody can help i really thought this would be the right place to come for help too...